Am I a tension freak? (Drop A content)

• Thread starter DjentDjentlalala
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Don't use bass strings for that. The way they vibrate just doesn't work on guitars. They feel stiff, yet floppy, if that makes any sense. Always use guitar strings. Also, i would advise against going too nuts with the string sizes, because after a certain size, strings will just sound like a dull "dunnnnnnn" type sound, rather than the crisp and clear bright attack that it's meant to have.

Another thing to think about is picking dicipline. Maybe you like those tighter strings not for comfort, but because they allow you to keep using bad technique without worry? I remember struggling with thinner strings, because they would just turn to boiled spaghetti in my hands. Then i learned to relax, and trust my ears. If something sounds like you're picking really hard, and it sounds badass as fuck, then why would you pick harder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

moeligerent

Reaction score
I know I'm a minority around here, but I've always used Ernie ball 10-58 on my RG7420. It's professionally set up for standard, but I drop A all the time. I've never had a case of the floppies. As always though, it's all personal preference. Just thought I share my useless 2 cents

Semichastny

Reaction score
I aim for 17.5-18.5 pounds for the low strings and 14-16 for the high strings. right now I use a .066 for G# on my 728

Ginsu

Reaction score
I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, with 11-52 in drop A on a 6 ;D My tendonitis flares up if I play on tighter strings than that, however.

Latest posts

')