Am I the only metal guy who doesn't use an overdrive pedal?

filipe

Reaction score
I dont use overdrive pedals either and I play mostly metal in an amp that was not even made for metal, a Peavey valveking which is an amp with a very bad reputation, I use the gain at 5-6 and it works great and has tons of gain IMO, although Im looking to buy a tubescreamer just to make the sound a bit tighter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aheadofmetal

Reaction score
I dont use overdrive pedals either and I play mostly metal in an amp that was not even made for metal, a Peavey valveking which is an amp with a very bad reputation, I use the gain at 5-6 and it works great and has tons of gain IMO, although Im looking to buy a tubescreamer just to make the sound a bit tighter.

I would try an eq pedal first. Danelectro ones are only $20. It depends on what you are going for though I guess.

filipe

Reaction score
I would try an eq pedal first. Danelectro ones are only $20. It depends on what you are going for though I guess.

I already heard of that but I dont want to completely change the sound of the Amp, I want just a tighter bottom end.

aheadofmetal

Reaction score
I already heard of that but I dont want to completely change the sound of the Amp, I want just a tighter bottom end.

By boosting the mids on an EQ you will essentially do the same thing but in a more transparent way. An OD will add a subtle harshness to the high mids (around 1-4k) Sometimes this is desirable and sometimes not, but just want to make you aware.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I'm not metal enough to use an OD at all times to tighten up teh brutz. My 2 channel Recto is mainly set to a low/mid gain crunch that I use 85% of the time and then kick on an OD to almost morph it into a 3rd channel with extra bite and slightly more gain.

Did he just say he uses a Recto AND and OD AAAND doesn't bring teh brutz?!11! Lies and slander!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Peavey valveking which is an amp with a very bad reputation

I've always felt like the Valveking has a bad reputation in part because it was a "first tube amp" for some people. I'm not claiming it's a good or bad amp, 'cause I've never tried one, but I've only ever seen it used by guys who were transitioning from solid state (because they were told solid state "sucks") and it happened to be the right price at the time.

Maybe that amp is another example of how learning to dial in your amp properly and using a boost when needed can make all the difference.

filipe

Reaction score
I've always felt like the Valveking has a bad reputation in part because it was a "first tube amp" for some people. I'm not claiming it's a good or bad amp, 'cause I've never tried one, but I've only ever seen it used by guys who were transitioning from solid state (because they were told solid state "sucks") and it happened to be the right price at the time.

Maybe that amp is another example of how learning to dial in your amp properly and using a boost when needed can make all the difference.

In my opinion the valveking is a very good amp it has the sound of tubes and that's what I need. I think mine sounds very good to my ears but im also using a speaker cabinet with celestion v30 that speaker really makes this amp shine. Sometimes people just believe more in the price than in their ears that's why this amp has a bad reputation, but I dont care I love it.

aheadofmetal

Reaction score
In my opinion the valveking is a very good amp it has the sound of tubes and that's what I need. I think mine sounds very good to my ears but im also using a speaker cabinet with celestion v30 that speaker really makes this amp shine. Sometimes people just believe more in the price than in their ears that's why this amp has a bad reputation, but I dont care I love it.

:hbang:Yea man I feel the same way about my jcm 2000. That amp gets so much hate and I don't know why. It was 500 bucks and I can do more with it than I could with 10 other heads I've owned.

Thanatopsis

Reaction score
I only use my SD-1 maybe 25% of the time with my Peavey Rockmaster into Classic 60/60. The RM has plenty of gain on tap and is pretty tight to begin with. I don't really use it to get more of anything, just different.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score

I used to own a VK100 and it can do metal pretty well on its own, just not with the matching cab :lol: I ran mine through a JCM900 with 75's and it was a lot better than with my friend's VK cab or the cheap Carvin 2x12 I got when I bought the head.

I will say, however, that the amp really did benefit from having a boost out front. After I started using my OD808, I wondered how I ever got by without it :D

aheadofmetal

Reaction score
I only use my SD-1 maybe 25% of the time with my Peavey Rockmaster into Classic 60/60. The RM has plenty of gain on tap and is pretty tight to begin with. I don't really use it to get more of anything, just different.

I actually really like my SD-1 more than the screamers. Its like a less compressed tube screamer with a nice notch at 1k for that Jeff Waters Annihilator tone.:hbang:

Just wish it didn't cut the lows as much.

filipe

Reaction score
I used to own a VK100 and it can do metal pretty well on its own, just not with the matching cab :lol: I ran mine through a JCM900 with 75's and it was a lot better than with my friend's VK cab or the cheap Carvin 2x12 I got when I bought the head.

I will say, however, that the amp really did benefit from having a boost out front. After I started using my OD808, I wondered how I ever got by without it :D
How was the difference with the maxon? because I already ordered one.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Im planning to NOT run a boost with my 6505. Just waiting to get my cab and we'll see how it goes.

Im going for the old school swede melodeath tone.

mesaboogie6l6

Reaction score
I've been hearing dudes talking about how OD's tighten up amps and stuff, I have Mesa Triple and Dual 2 channel Rev F's, tried the Maxon 808 and it made it sound much, much, much, much, WORSE! Didn't tighten up shit, just made it feedback, Gibson Explorer, Government Flying V and my amps with Mesa OS and Mills Acoustics cabs and that's all I need!

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I've been hearing dudes talking about how OD's tighten up amps and stuff, I have Mesa Triple and Dual 2 channel Rev F's, tried the Maxon 808 and it made it sound much, much, much, much, WORSE! Didn't tighten up shit, just made it feedback, Gibson Explorer, Government Flying V and my amps with Mesa OS and Mills Acoustics cabs and that's all I need!

An 808 in front of a Triple Rec is gonna require a noise gate of some kind to deal with the feedback. Those amps tighten up very nicely, imo.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
How was the difference with the maxon? because I already ordered one.

Good move :lol: the difference with the Maxon is pretty much what you always read about and has been posted in this thread. More punch/compression, tighter low end from the guitar, and a subtle bump in the mids-higher mids.

An 808 in front of a Triple Rec is gonna require a noise gate of some kind to deal with the feedback. Those amps tighten up very nicely, imo.

Exactly this. My 808 was a match made in heaven (hell?) for my old Triple Rectifier. Much more aggressive with less flub in the low end. But yes, running an OD into a high-gain amp will definitely require at least one gate after the OD to clamp down on your signal into the amp and prevent feedback. I never leave home without my Decimator :yesway:

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
Let me know your thoughts....

If it sounds good to you...................it's good no matter if the whole world says it's not, I'm tired of seeing players following whatever their idols say/do including stupid myths about woods, neck resonation etc, if you bought the cheapest chinese guitar and the cheapest Behringer amp and they sound good to you, they're good period.
Personality it's the only real talent, technique everybody can achieve with passion and efort...............and of course a metronome, but your way of composing = real talent.
Vai/Satch/Petrucci/so many bands sound like themselves but their personalities have nothing to do with their tones or techniques but with the way they use their techniques to make music ;)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
A Fryette doesn't need a boost to stay nice and tight. In fact, I'm thinking about offing the ZW OD cuz it's getting dusty and I don't use it anymore.

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
i dont. i beleive that if an amp needs an OD, its not good enough for what your doing with it.

i also dial my gain down a bit anyway as i feel its more organic and clear

')