Am I the only one that hates that this Poplar Burl Burst trend is getting more prevalent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Of the three most common pale "burled" top options out there, I'd rank poplar at the bottom*, buckeye in the middle, and maple at the top.

*The exception for poplar is where the "empty" areas between the clusters of burls has some dramatic figuring in it. Some compression flame, etc. Then I'd put it above buckeye, but still below maple.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My guess is that poplar burl is significantly cheaper than flame/quilt maple, so brands can still position it as an upgrade over a solid finish without actually adding much cost on their side. That'd explain why brands keep pushing it so much.

I imagine pretty soon it'll impact sales. It's too distinct of a look to not go out of fashion.

personally I think it looks terrible

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
I like burls a lot, but the issue is that many/most have gaudy finishes, or are really uninteresting/low-quality. Any burl with a burst is definitely overdone at this point.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dig the burl. I have one guitar that has it. The finish really matters a lot though. Some colors just look terrible with it. Some look fantastic.

I wouldn't have every guitar be a burl top, but when they're done right they're pretty snazzy.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think that--of figured woods--burled tops look particularly bad when they're a veneer (I'd put spalted maple up here too). The lack of depth is especially striking, so that the guitar looks like it has some fake print out of a wood design, rather than actual wood. I think a burled top can look much better when it's an actual slab, but even that varies heavily depending on the figuring.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm one of the more traditional minded guys around, but I'm starting to like the burl barf fade finish. I mean, it's pretty metal, right? I kinda want that fade burl E-II Eclipse.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I think that--of figured woods--burled tops look particularly bad when they're a veneer (I'd put spalted maple up here too). The lack of depth is especially striking, so that the guitar looks like it has some fake print out of a wood design, rather than actual wood. I think a burled top can look much better when it's an actual slab, but even that varies heavily depending on the figuring.

I feel like this conversation has been had before in other threads, but this has nothing to do with "veneer vs solid wood" or "top vs cap", and is everything to do with the quality/"grade" of wood used. Some of the finest wood furniture ever built, with the most exquisite and striking figuring, is veneered. When you get one special figured log, you slice it up into veneers to maximize yield if you want, say, 10 drawer fronts of a large dresser to match, or doors on a wardrobe, or for a large conference table...or a whole office to be "suite matched". The appearance of "depth"/chatoyance is an optical illusion. Like how flamed maple looks ribbed when it's perfectly smooth. You're not seeing anything past the top 2-3 layers of wood cells, which is only partially though most of even the thinnest veneers used on guitars.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It’s just one of those things that was super cool and unique when it first showed up on customs (like Skervesen) and then eventually showed up on damn near everything. For people like us on the front edge of new guitar stuff, it seems like it’s been around forever, and everyone and their sister has it. Cheap versions of it ain’t helping either.

Like, the first time I saw the red gum burl Oni Essi with the voids in it I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. But if it started showing up on every Irpn Label for 5 years I’d get sick of that, too.

We should start a thread on played out guitar esthetics.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Eh it depends on the color. On a dark blood red or a deep blue, it would be great. On a pale green or sand color finish, it looks like your guitar has a horrible skin condition…

')