Am I the only one who finds Alnico II pickups "squishy" for fast leads?

• Thread starter diogoguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I've had this Charvel Dk24 for about a week now... I can't say enough good things about it,... and I love its neck pickup (SD Alnico II Pro) for cleans and mid-drive stuff.

But, when kick in the overdrive and play faster-ish solos, I find it hard to hear the notes and I end up having to pick much harder to be able to hear the individual notes. Is this a placebo thing or this is normal for an Alnico 2 pickup?

(I played around with pickup height, etc... it's not too tall or too low... I think it's at 6/64")

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shalev98732

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I've had this Charvel Dk24 for about a week now... I can't say enough good things about it,... and I love its neck pickup (SD Alnico II Pro) for cleans and mid-drive stuff.

But, when kick in the overdrive and play faster-ish solos, I find it hard to hear the notes and I end up having to pick much harder to be able to hear the individual notes. Is this a placebo thing or this is normal for an Alnico 2 pickup?

(I played around with pickup height, etc... it's not too tall or too low... I think it's at 6/64")

Thanks!
i had a charvel althrough it wasnt a dk but same pickups, and i agree with you but i think they built in mind that the alnico 2 pro will be for cleans and mid drive and the full shred in the bridge will be for the rest, if you still like the tone of the aph-2 but want it for high gain and fast leads, i recommend putting a slash or slash 2.0 neck in it, it sounds good in them all.

Reaction score
I don't do fast leads so it works for me. The Alnico Pro 2 is my favorite neck pickup. Now, that being said I stay on the bridge pickup most of the time anyways, even for leads

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
alright I put some higher output pickups (a pair of Suhr Aldrich). I immediately felt that it got a more direct pick response on the neck position. I'm happy

@shalev98732

PXL_20231028_055822721.jpg

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Alnico II magnets generally have a squishier or “soft” low end. I find, depending on the rig, lowering the pickup height helps quite a bit.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Yes, that's why I only want to use Alnico5 or ceramic for the neck. I like its fluid tone but I need to hear a bit the pick attack since I am not capable of picking fast lines and basically only do legato so without a heavy attack it just sounds too bland 🤣

')