Am I the only person...

• Thread starter C2Aye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
...who likes Fender Strats? I've seen some pretty heavy Fender bashing recently and wonder if it's a sentiment that's common among ss.org'ers. Thoughts?

EDIT: Feel free to post pictures of your beloved Fenders, be it Strats, Teles, Jags, whatever!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I love strats. The style is iconic and while I see it everywhere, I don't really get tired of it. I also love classic fender tones for smooth bluesy stuff and the 2nd and 4th positions through a Lonestar is still my favorite clean tone.

That being said, I really don't like playing standard strats and I dislike Fender as a company. I'd much prefer a G&L any day of the week. I do like my showmaster, but that's not very much a strat design so much as Fender's attempt a superstrat; and I only liked it after adding an Air Norton / D-Sonic set.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
They have their place for sure. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it does what it was intended to do very well and has done so for the last 50ish years. (Quality mass production guitar that imho still ousts Gibson's slipping QC whom they've competed with since the beginning.)

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I love strats. The style is iconic and while I see it everywhere, I don't really get tired of it. I also love classic fender tones for smooth bluesy stuff and the 2nd and 4th positions through a Lonestar is still my favorite clean tone.

That being said, I really don't like playing standard strats and I dislike Fender as a company. I'd much prefer a G&L any day of the week. I do like my showmaster, but that's not very much a strat design so much as Fender's attempt a superstrat; and I only liked it after adding an Air Norton / D-Sonic set.

I have an American Deluxe Stratocaster and I can't fault it. Although I can see gripes with Fender. Like stopping production of Japanese Fender guitars. I've played some of those old 80's Japanese strats and they are amazing. Maybe Fender US was afraid of being upstaged? I don't know. I still love my strat.

I still have dreams about my old Wine red MIM with the EMG set. :drool:

OH SNAP. I had a Midnight Wine MiM strat too, although not with EMGs. Sold it to a friend and he ended up stripping the paint and installing a kill switch which doesn't work which makes me very sad :(

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
They have their place for sure. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it does what it was intended to do very well and has done so for the last 50ish years. (Quality mass production guitar that imho still ousts Gibson's slipping QC whom they've competed with since the beginning.)

An Epiphone is far better value for money than a Gibson I think. There's not much difference between them and Gibsons, unlike Fender where there is a hugh gap between Squiers and Fenders, although that wasn't always the case with Japanese Squiers.

And I use my strat for everything so I guess that's what it was intended for :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
...who likes Fender Strats? I've seen some pretty heavy Fender bashing recently and wonder if it's a sentiment that's common among ss.org'ers. Thoughts?

This is the internet. People are going to be fairly brash about things they don't like. :shrug:

That being said, unless it's a ebony boarded, humbucker equipped guitar for under $1000 it's going to get a fair share of hate around here. :lol:

I :wub: you guys. :)

Moro

Big damn hero
Reaction score
I like Strats. They're great for bluesy stuff. For some other things they just don't hold up IMO, but as far as blues/fusion kind of things, sure. They're awesome.

I should mention that, as Mordacain said, I really dislike Fender as a company too.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I find Fender to be much more appealing than Gibson. The models actually progress throughout the years and the build quality (in my experience) has been rock solid.

Plus there are no 2500 dollar "standard" strats that i know of. ;)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't get where all the FMIC hate comes from. They're not perfect (*cough* Floyd Rose *cough*), but they've done a pretty good job running Gretsch, Bigsby, Jackson, Charvel, SWR, EVH, and the like.

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Strats...love 'em.
Teles...love 'em.
Jazzmasters/Jaguar... love 'em.

I use a strat for metal! yes, a strat for metal! but I shoved some rails in there and made it metal worthy. However, it still looks like one so fuck yeah!

Mordacain

Reaction score
I find Fender to be much more appealing than Gibson. The models actually progress throughout the years and the build quality (in my experience) has been rock solid.

Plus there are no 2500 dollar "standard" strats that i know of. ;)

I would agree that in evil corporation terms, they are less evil than Gibson. I also love Leo Fender's designs and vision. The man made all of our music possible as far as I am concerned, far more so than Gibson or Les Paul (nothing against the man, just my opinion). That's also why I still wish I had my G&L S-500 (lost to a pawnshop so I could pay rent...don't miss those days).

And I know its not a standard, but has anyone seen how much they want for the David Gilmour sig strat? Talk about absurd.

Mordacain

Reaction score
I don't get where all the FMIC hate comes from. They're not perfect (*cough* Floyd Rose *cough*), but they've done a pretty good job running Gretsch, Bigsby, Jackson, Charvel, SWR, EVH, and the like.

Current Fender is much better than CBS run Fender. My gripe with them was my American Standard (2009) was just piss poor. Finish quality was good, loved the neck, hated the electronics wiring job and the body wood join was terrible. Reflected very poorly in my eyes for a $1000 instrument when I can get cheap chinese guitars with a better wood selection (*cough*Rondo*cough).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The man made all of our music possible as far as I am concerned, far more so than Gibson or Les Paul (nothing against the man, just my opinion).

I think you should look up Paul Bigsby as well as Multi-Track recording. :)

By the way, Leo is one of my idols, so I'm in no way making light is impact on the electric guitar, electric bass, or amplification. :agreed:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
That being said, unless it's a ebony boarded, humbucker equipped guitar for under $1000 it's going to get a fair share of hate around here. :lol:

:lol: So my three single coil, £900 ($1350) Strat shall receive all the hate ss.org can muster :lol:

Strats...love 'em.
Teles...love 'em.
Jazzmasters/Jaguar... love 'em.

I use a strat for metal! yes, a strat for metal! but I shoved some rails in there and made it metal worthy. However, it still looks like one so fuck yeah!

I use my Strat all the time for metal. The single coils are less tinny and have more mid response, making my completely stock strat djent as fuck.

Current Fender is much better than CBS run Fender. My gripe with them was my American Standard (2009) was just piss poor. Finish quality was good, loved the neck, hated the electronics wiring job and the body wood join was terrible. Reflected very poorly in my eyes for a $1000 instrument when I can get cheap chinese guitars with a better wood selection (*cough*Rondo*cough).

My friend got a highway one and was severly disappointed. It might just be Fender's current batch. I bought my American Deluxe strat back in 2006 and everything about it was awesome.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I love strats, teles, jazzmasters, and jazz basses, but I'm not so hot about the fender comapny as a whole. Same thing with Gibson, they have a few things they make that I enjoy, but overall I don't care for them.

Mordacain

Reaction score
My friend got a highway one and was severly disappointed. It might just be Fender's current batch. I bought my American Deluxe strat back in 2006 and everything about it was awesome.

That could very well be the case. Really burned me too cause I was so psyched about the Sienna Sunburst. Oddly enough, the Showmaster I acquired for $220 is also a Sienna Sunburst (though not quite so red at the edges) and has some very interesting figuring on the top (picture taken before swapping in Air Norton/D-Sonic:

DSC00467.jpg

So wish that they designed this as direct mounts instead, would look soooo much better.:fawk:

Reaction score
I believe you can't get a better clean/gritty blues sound than out of a nice strat through an old fender tube amp. Perfect combo for this style.

')