Am I the only person...

• Thread starter C2Aye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
An Epiphone is far better value for money than a Gibson I think. There's not much difference between them and Gibsons, unlike Fender where there is a hugh gap between Squiers and Fenders, although that wasn't always the case with Japanese Squiers.

I disagree. Play an EPI LP and then a Studio Gibson Les Paul; no comparison. Nevermind the custom series (the real Gibsons IMO).

I can't speak for Squiers since I'ver never played one. But as much as I love strats, there isn't a big gap in quality between the Mexicans and the American ones; For double the price of a mexi you get an identical looking guitar who's body was taken from a nicer section of the same slab of wood and finished in a thinner (less tone sucking but easier to damage) finish material. Am I missing something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I disagree. Play an EPI LP and then a Studio Gibson Les Paul; no comparison. Nevermind the custom series (the real Gibsons IMO).

I can't speak for Squiers since I'ver never played one. But as much as I love strats, there isn't a big gap in quality between the Mexicans and the American ones; For double the price of a mexi you get an identical looking guitar who's body was taken from a nicer section of the same slab of wood and finished in a thinner (less tone sucking but easier to damage) finish material. Am I missing something?

These days, Squiers have nothing on Fenders. My friend as a 93 (I think) Squier strat that was made in Japan and that's a very nice guitar, although lacking in details a little.

Having made the switch from Mexican to American Deluxe, there is no comparison. The American Deluxe is better in so many ways. I can't really speak for the American Standard models though. What I do know is that American Deluxe models are made from wood just one down from Custom Shop jobs.

And if I could get my hands on a pre CBS Strat, I'd be all over it like gang rape.

Even if it has only 21 frets which is the only thing I don't like about some Strats.

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
i honestly prefer Suhrs over fenders, but i love strat-style guitars, specially when playing the neck/middle single coil pickup combination through a mildly overdriven tube amp :) it just makes my day.. but i don't know why, i'm still not willing to get a guitar with a neck single, can't give up humbuckers for some stupid reason

dewy

Beet Farmer
Reaction score
That could very well be the case. Really burned me too cause I was so psyched about the Sienna Sunburst. Oddly enough, the Showmaster I acquired for $220 is also a Sienna Sunburst (though not quite so red at the edges) and has some very interesting figuring on the top (picture taken before swapping in Air Norton/D-Sonic:

DSC00467.jpg

So wish that they designed this as direct mounts instead, would look soooo much better.:fawk:
That's definitely cherryburst. Sienna sunburst is more of a dark red to an almost natural brown, rather than yellow/orange.

Reaction score
I love strats and teles. Such a recognisable sound. And I agree that Fender seem to have kept with the times alot better than Gibson, and their instruments are pretty reasonably prices in comparison.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Every single strat I played felt terrible in my hands, and wasnt able to give me the sound I wanted...

Until my brother in law left me his 68 strat for a week. OMG That thing was so nice to play, and just begged me to play neoclassical stuff lol :shred:. Still, I wouldnt be in a hurry to be seen with a strat in public :lol:

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I own both a Strat and Tele. Fender Strat/Tele + Huge Neck = amazing.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That being said, unless it's a ebony boarded, humbucker equipped guitar for under $1000 it's going to get a fair share of hate around here. :lol:

You forgot the non-Floyd trem, but otherwise, this is the most accurate description of this place EVAR. :lol:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
You forgot the non-Floyd trem, but otherwise, this is the most accurate description of this place EVAR. :lol:

^

Everything I need to know about ss.org in two posts :D

Every song I'm going to post from now on will have as much single coil twang as humanly possible.

Rashputin

Reaction score
I f%$@ love strats. I don't know what it is about them that make them so sexy, but they are the Ford Mustang of guitars. They sound amazing (for anything non-metal) and they feel amazing to play.

I usually love contemporary modern guitars with humbuckers, 24 frets, ebony boards, locking tuners etc. But the strat is timeless. I own '75, and I wish I could afford another American Deluxe HSS with a quilt top.

F#"¤"#% love strats.

Murmel

Reaction score
I think Fender is really cool, and I love the snappy sound of teles. I don't really have anything against them.. Haven't found a single Fender necked I haven't liked either.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
For Fenders I definitely prefer Telecasters, but even they feel a little funny in my hands. There's just something about Fender's necks that don't sit right in my hands.

I understand why Strats are popular, and I don't 'hate' them by any stretch, but at the same time they don't feel or sound right for what I like in my own playing.

Still, classic guitar is classic, and I can appreciate the love. :yesway:

maxoom

Scumbag of the Earth
Reaction score
I like Fender I have two strats, a Japan made HM strat with a JB bucker and a vintage style tricked out frankenstrat.Frankenstrat has vintage radius V shape neck,2 peice alder body,wilkenson locking tuners,beefy aftermarket steel trem block,SS sadles,and Seymour Duncan Affinity texas hot pickups.
Not to impressed with the run of the mill Fenders I`ve seen custom shop strats with sloppy neck joints and other things not acceptable.Most Am. Standards on the wall are pretty dull sounding.That being said when you do find one that really sings nothing else can touch it.They have a vibe all there own.I don`t view strats in general as the best for metal.
parts4salennewstrat016.jpg

parts4salennewstrat026.jpg

P1080528.jpg

GTR0B

Reverse Headstock Whore
Reaction score
I'm currently playing my father's '89 American Fender Strat in 3 Tone Sunburst, 3 ply pickguard and a Rosewood board. He's had the frets stoned and the bridge blocked. He never plays it, so I like to call it my own.

And I can tell you now, said guitar through a Fender Tube Champ 25 sounds fucking rediculous. The built-in reverb...........

Just everything about this setup just makes me need to change underwear everytime I play it.

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
i own a CS Relic Strat and i really love her to death. i would sell every other guitar, but not my Strat.
They have their own feeling and sound - you like it or not.
She really feels like a guitar and a piece of wood, not such a "plastic" feel as my ESP Edwards and Jackson Cow with painted necks for example.

and my next guitar will be a CS Strat with HSS or a CS Tele. thats for sure

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Deluxe Strat Plus (predecessor to the American Deluxe Series) and I love it. Nothing sounds or feels quite like a real strat. That can be a liberating feeling or on the flip side, it can make you feel "boxed in". I'm actually interested in trying out a PRS 305 b/c I've heard that although it doesn't sound quite like a Fender, it is a different take on the single-coil sound.

Oh, and I have major Tele GAS right now!

phi6.jpg

Latest posts

')