Ambient Black Metal

• Thread starter malphas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

malphas

Reaction score
Sorry if this turns into a double post, but I started a thread a little bit ago and it disappeared.

I am looking for some recommendations for good ambient black metal. I have been listening to Wolves In The Throne Room, Blutklinge, and Altar of Plagues recently and I really like what they do. Sunn O))) has been growing on me gradually.

Please recommend some bands that fall into similar parameters.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Wolves In the Throne Room
Elysian Blaze
Culted

Those 3 are more of the actual atmospheric AND black metal

MOSS
Dark Castle

Both of those are more just atmospheric and down-tempo stuff that you might dig

Krullnar

Reaction score
Lunar Aurora, best black metal I've ever heard. Zyklus, Mond, Elixir of Sorrow, Andacht... check all those out.

Dwellingers

Reaction score
Sorry if this turns into a double post, but I started a thread a little bit ago and it disappeared.

I am looking for some recommendations for good ambient black metal. I have been listening to Wolves In The Throne Room, Blutklinge, and Altar of Plagues recently and I really like what they do. Sunn O))) has been growing on me gradually.

Please recommend some bands that fall into similar parameters.

Year, sorry this recomandation is not black, but have you checked the latest neurosis album? - the ambience in that monster is intimidating!

etiam

Reaction score
I keep trying to get into them (EDIT: By 'them' I meant Lunar Aurora) and failing. Something about them just doesn't 'grab' me, but it is still a good suggestion for this thread. Pretty much everything here is, actually. A few of my suggestions will go a bit further afield than pure 'ambient black metal', since it seems that what you're getting into has some strong ties to other genres, as well.

Vinterriket
Coldworld
Weakling (WITTR before WITTR)
Lurker of Chalice
new Leviathan ('A Silhouette in Splinters')
Diagnose: Lebensgefahr
Dead Raven Choir
Urfaust
Spektr

The Hungarian school--or, specifically, the projects of Roman--like Drudkh, Hate Forest, and Blood of Kingu can get pretty droning at times, also.

That should keep you going for a while.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
Not one mention of Summoning... seriously? You're talking one of the founders of the genre here.

malphas

Reaction score
These are some great recs guys! I am really digging alot of these bands.

Thanks!

Ironbird666

Reaction score
I'll second Xasthur and add the following:

Nortt
Abyssmal Sorrow
Abyssic Hate
Blut Aus Nord (Check out The Work Which Tranforms God)
Deathspell Omega (maybe not as ambient but you'll dig it)

I enjoy black metal haha!! :shred:

Latest posts

')