Amon Amarth - 'Raven's Flight' out of time?

• Thread starter Brocephus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brocephus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Howdy
Is it only me or does the gallops in this song sound out of time? I know the drum beat and the gallops are synced but I can't get past it whenever I listen to this song. What is it that makes it sound so out of time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The guitar tone is pretty woolly/untight and the kicks are very short/direct. That contrast makes it sound pretty weird and separated. Maybe that's contributing?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Howdy
Is it only me or does the gallops in this song sound out of time? I know the drum beat and the gallops are synced but I can't get past it whenever I listen to this song. What is it that makes it sound so out of time?

The drums seems to be doing 1/8th notes during the gallop sections, so at times it'll hit on the same beat as the guitar's gallops, but other times it's the only thing playing; and even then it sounds like there's some gaps when the drums do 1/8th notes, like right when the gallops start the kick hits then rests for a beat, and comes back leading into the snare it, so it's not even an entirely straight 1/8th note carrying the rhythm.

So there's push and pull going on between the drums doing that rhythm, while the guitar/bass play gallops in unison

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hm I think maybe the part at 42 seconds is a little messy. Like they're not really spot on timing wise?

Brocephus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you boykies.

There seems to be a few factors contributing to this phenomenon. Thank you all for your insight, replies and time taken.

Cheers!

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Honestly, I kind of enjoy this. If it is a little off it at least is a nice reminder that they're human at the end of the day and also that they're not relying on studio magic to perfectly align everything. Sometimes when something is too perfectly timed it sounds machine-like.