Amp came unplugged while on

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
Halp.

I was playing my amp and because everything in my college is crappy, including the outlets, the cord where the amp plugged into the outlet fell out. The amp made a rather quiet pop and I quickly turned the standby and power switches off.

I haven't turned it on yet, it was just a few minutes ago. Should I be concerned? I wasn't playing loudly, and I looked at the tubes through the back and they didn't look discolored or anything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
I imagine it would basically be the same thing as turning the power switch off before flipping the standby switch to standby. I've done it by accident before (I'm sure others have too) I don't imagine it would have caused any issues, especially if you weren't pushing it real hard.
I'd say turn all of the levels down then power it up and raise the levels slowly and listen for any issues. I think it should be fine.
Next; talk to whoever is responsible for maintenance to see about getting the receptical replaced. Or if you're a do-it-yourselfer and have access to the electrical panel to shut the circuit off you could give it a whirl. Receptacles are easy to replace and aren't expensive. JUST BE SURE TO HAVE THE POWER OFF FIRST! I'm sure you could find a how-to video on youtube to replace the receptacle.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
I have had the same thing happen in the past and looked into it. Apparently the standby switch is antiquated and not really necessary on most amps. I think some people might feel a bit weird not having it on their amp, I for one like it on there for times I am not playing.

Long story short, like desmond said, it's like turning it off straight at the power, so I don't think you damaged it one bit.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have had the same thing happen in the past and looked into it. Apparently the standby switch is antiquated and not really necessary on most amps. I think some people might feel a bit weird not having it on their amp, I for one like it on there for times I am not playing.

Long story short, like desmond said, it's like turning it off straight at the power, so I don't think you damaged it one bit.

The standby switch is only as antiquated as tubes are. It is important to let the tubes have a little juice to warm up before pushing them. Switching to standby for a minute to let the tubes down slowly is recommended, but it's really not necessary to let them cool down as much as it is to let them warm up.

Sean Richardson

Onedge Custom
Reaction score
... I actually WORK on amps (and other rather large Electrical Devices) and recommend turning off WITHOUT using the standby switch. This will drain the filter capacitors and will not only make the amp "safe" if you intend to delve inside but also extend the life of the caps (due to a process known as reforming - allthough the techs here will know your only draining the cap of a charge and not applying a reforming voltage over a resistance value over time - but thats all mumbo jumbo for the general amp user - dont dwell on this tech detail).

You turn ON the amp using the standby to warm up the tubes via heater voltage (to extend their life)...

So to turn on: ON/OFF Switch to "on" (leave for a minute), Standby to "on"

to turn off: ON/OFF switch to "off", THEN standby to "off" (ready for the next time you switch on.

I always have volume to Zero (on guitar) and guitar plugged in (this will prevent the Output transformer/Speaker "pops" than can be very loud and may (MAY) damage the speaker cone...

vick1000

Reaction score
The standby switch helps tubes last longer, hitting them with B+ while they are cold strips the cathode.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
The standby switch is only as antiquated as tubes are. It is important to let the tubes have a little juice to warm up before pushing them. Switching to standby for a minute to let the tubes down slowly is recommended, but it's really not necessary to let them cool down as much as it is to let them warm up.

The standby switch helps tubes last longer, hitting them with B+ while they are cold strips the cathode.

No, not tubes you would use in guitar amplifiers. Also, in a properly designed amp there's absolutely no need for a standby switch. Unless the user wants to be able to mute the sound, then there's better ways of adding mute switches.

In fact, standby switches can actually cause harm, if they're not properly implemented, which they not always are unfortunately.

Latest posts

')