Amp for all-out gain, brutal death metal

Smoky111

Reaction score
I currently have exactly $615 dollars, and want an amp/cab to give me a tone basically exactly the same as the tone Dying Fetus have, Devourment, Cannibal Corpse, etc. I would buy a Crate Gx-130c or Ampeg Vh-140 but I can't find either anywhere that will ship to Canada. So far my candidates are the Crate GX-900h, 2200h, 1200h, and the Peavey XXL. If I saved for a little longer I could get a Peavey 6505+ combo but I don't know if that would cut it for gigs, volume wise. Thanks guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
I've heard the 6505 is pretty damn loud, so that wouldn't be an issue since you can mic it for huge venues...but if I were you I wouldn't even bother with it when you can go Solid-State or hybrid for less and it'll sound more death-metal.

Smoky111

Reaction score
I've heard the 6505 is pretty damn loud, so that wouldn't be an issue since you can mic it for huge venues...but if I were you I wouldn't even bother with it when you can go Solid-State or hybrid for less and it'll sound more death-metal.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. So what one of the ones I listed would be best for that tone do you think?

Reaction score
Axe music is an ampeg dealer... So is la music.. And I believe long and McQuade as well, call em up and see what they can do for you. You mustn't have looked very hard.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
A VH140 would be brilliant (not only because of Dying Fetus), but they're discontinued for some reason and a pain in the arse to come across. Similar thing goes for the Valvestate 8100, maybe a little less rare, you hear nothing but great things about them (again, not just because of Chuck from Death) and you can find them dirty cheap when they turn up on eBay/craigslist/etc. Still, I would go for the Ampeg if possible.
You should look into Randall too. Anything from RGs, V2s, RH which I own (150) and love the crap out of or anything within budget. They're better known for Thrash than death metal but they can rip out anything you throw at 'em, no problem.
I got mine for 50 euros because it was meant to be broken. If it wasn't before, the delivery guys certainly did their best: they brought it to me with a whole side dangling freely (at the time I was just happy to have it). Despite having both structural and electronic handicaps it absolutely slays.

Smoky111

Reaction score
A VH140 would be brilliant (not only because of Dying Fetus), but they're discontinued for some reason and a pain in the arse to come across. Similar thing goes for the Valvestate 8100, maybe a little less rare, you hear nothing but great things about them (again, not just because of Chuck from Death) and you can find them dirty cheap when they turn up on eBay/craigslist/etc. Still, I would go for the Ampeg if possible.
You should look into Randall too. Anything from RGs, V2s, RH which I own (150) and love the crap out of or anything within budget. They're better known for Thrash than death metal but they can rip out anything you throw at 'em, no problem.
I got mine for 50 euros because it was meant to be broken. If it wasn't before, the delivery guys certainly did their best: they brought it to me with a whole side dangling freely (at the time I was just happy to have it). Despite having both structural and electronic handicaps it absolutely slays.

I've looked into everything you listed pretty much. I haven't looked into the Randalls as much though. The problem with living in one of the smallest cities in Canada is that you can hardly find anything, and ebay.ca is pretty useless too. Thanks a lot for the recommendations though, I'm gonna go see if I can luck out on ebay for a good randall. :shred:

Smoky111

Reaction score
Okay, after looking on ebay I see a Randall RH120 for $210 with $161 shipping. It doesn't seem worth it. I also see an "RG75G3PLUS" or whatever that is. Seems decent, $260, shipping will be a lot since it isn't in Canada.

geoffshreds

Reaction score
I currently have exactly $615 dollars, and want an amp/cab to give me a tone basically exactly the same as the tone Dying Fetus have, Devourment, Cannibal Corpse, etc. I would buy a Crate Gx-130c or Ampeg Vh-140 but I can't find either anywhere that will ship to Canada. So far my candidates are the Crate GX-900h, 2200h, 1200h, and the Peavey XXL. If I saved for a little longer I could get a Peavey 6505+ combo but I don't know if that would cut it for gigs, volume wise. Thanks guys.
you can get a used 6505+ for 600-700$. theyre reliable, and you can't deny the crushing tone. I say look for one of these and jump on it. you wont regret it. If not that, you can also find a used JSX for the same price. I can also vouch for the XXL, i had one about 6 years ago and it did sound pretty beastly. The build quality wasnt on par with my 6505+ though. The XXL crapped out in less than 2 years...

Fromeasttowes

Reaction score
Peavey Supreme 160. John used one before he switched to the ampeg vh-140. I have one, plenty of gain on tap for death metal and a mid scoop. You can find them waaaaaayy cheaper than the ampegs. Mine was only $100 bucks off craigslist.

Smoky111

Reaction score
Peavey Supreme 160. John used one before he switched to the ampeg vh-140. I have one, plenty of gain on tap for death metal and a mid scoop. You can find them waaaaaayy cheaper than the ampegs. Mine was only $100 bucks off craigslist.

I'd get one but I can't find one anywhere. I had a chance for a Valve Supreme 100 watt but didn't get it.

')