Amp good for tight metal AND saturated hard rock

• Thread starter mikah912
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikah912

Reaction score
Looking for a new head with a $1500 and below budget. Don't mind used at all.

I only need two types of tones: That liquid, tube-y Petrucci-esque lead sound AND a saturated hot-rod kind of rhythm sound that's almost George Lynch-esque. Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
5150/6505

EDIT: I suppose that wouldn't be considered "liquid-y" though, more like a chainsaw.

mikah912

Reaction score
Yeah, I always thought a 5150 was too gainy for either. Is there a mod that gets it into that territory?

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I thought 5150 right away. Created by godfather of hard rock, worshipped by metal players everywhere (the amp i mean)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Used 5150 with cash to spare would do metal for days, but for the liquid lead, JP sound, you won't get much closer than a used Mark IV or Mark V. The V will be harder to find in that price range, but the IV will do metal, sweet leads, rock and good cleans just as well as the V

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
5150's can be a bit of a bitch to get lead tones out of if you do not have the space to crank them and let them breathe. Otherwise they have an apparent fizz character to everything you hear and is commonly complained about on the forums. You can back the gain way down and use an OD as a boost instead, but that still does not solve the problem completely.

I own a 5150 II and have owned a 5150 in the past. At first I would suggest a 5150 and simply use the crunch channel with a boost.

But actually I am going to go out on a limb here and recommend the Hughes and Kettner Triamp on the used market. A much better suited soloing amplifier that still has more of that mid growl character of a 5150 or 5150 II.

You could also jump for a 5150 III but you had better play one first. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but there is something in the voicing with them that I just do not like at all. Others have said the same on forums as well. Most people love them and have no problems. Just make sure it is what you are looking for before spending the coin.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I just got an Orange Rocker 30 that has insane and varied hard rock tones with the gain anywhere between 9:00 and 4:00, ridiculously good. Use an OD of choice for lead and it's very smooth too up the neck, liquid for sure. Try one out if you can find it, ridiculously loud, hard rock heaven.

CountFrisky

Formerly Jveeman45
Reaction score
What you are describing is the Mark IV EXACTLY!!!! Do yourself a favor and find one. Epic guitar tonal bliss awaits you my friend.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
That liquid, tube-y Petrucci-esque lead sound AND a saturated hot-rod kind of rhythm sound that's almost George Lynch-esque. Any suggestions?
Mark V
Mark V
Mark V
Mark V
Mark V

Or Mark IV if V is out of the budget.

mikah912

Reaction score
Thanks, all. You think a 6534+ would take out some of the 5150 fizz? I just have a hard time imagining some of these amps (aside from the Mesa Marks maybe) getting a saturated, near 80s, Lynch-esque rhythm sound.

Would a 5150 on the rhythm channel do that?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, in case you didn't hear, a Mark is your best bet.
The Lynch sounds are EL34 technically, but I think the Mark IV sound (or Mark V) can be dialed right into that. I don't own one, but I think Mark IV/Vs are the best amps out there in bridging the sounds you're looking for.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Mark IV or V will nail the sound you want, though they may be hard to find at that price.

And I seem to be alone in this, but I'd go for a used Recto over a 5150/6505.

mike0

Reaction score
like everyone else has said, mark v or iv. but i would also suggest a vht/fryette ul or sig:x. they might be a bit hard to come by, especially in that price range, but they do come about every now and then. their lead channels can get really nice and fluidy tones when dialed in right, and the rhythm channels can get a nice really ballsy tone. i know that dry comes to mind when thinking of vht, the opposite of saturated, but if you're not going to be cranking the gain it won't be as apparent as people make it out to be, especially for something like hard rock, you may find what you're looking for.

')