Amp grill cloth experiences?

• Thread starter Dushan S
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dushan S

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Guys in my band were thinking about getting grill cloth for our amps. It is a printed vinyl, something like this:
https://www.vintagelogos.com/custom...h/speaker-grill-cloth-custom-amp-grill-cloth/
We are using local company but material and print should be similar, I guess. I don't have anyone around with enough experience to ask if it affects significantly sound of an amp, or complicates miking an amp. The cloth would be just dropped over the 4x12 box. Has anyone used this kind of grill cloth, any experiences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware any cloth will dampen treble slightly. Unless it's a thick blanket I would not worry at all. If the effect is audible, turn up the presence dial a touch. All good!

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
The company making them claims that they are "sonically transparent". If you notice any problems like your sound being choked up (I doubt it, probably will not be any noticeable difference especially at live show volume) then you have the right to get your money back. As I see it, it would be false advertising on their part.

Dushan S

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware any cloth will dampen treble slightly. Unless it's a thick blanket I would not worry at all. If the effect is audible, turn up the presence dial a touch. All good!
I assumed it will have some effect, I just hope it doesn't end up dampening speakers too much. Oh well, I'll have to try it and report back :)

The company making them claims that they are "sonically transparent". If you notice any problems like your sound being choked up (I doubt it, probably will not be any noticeable difference especially at live show volume) then you have the right to get your money back. As I see it, it would be false advertising on their part.
I live on the other side of the planet so we won't order from that exact company, but I guess fabric is similar. I included link just so people understand what I am talking about. It seems I'll have to try it and hear if it works for me or not :)

Cheers!

thrashinbatman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've bought from VintageLogos, and it's pretty solid. I've never put it to rigorous testing, but if it does dampen the high end it isn't enough to be noticeable at a gig. They're held on by velcro, so for recording you can just take them off. Personally, I'd recommend.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What about just getting a banner?