Amp Head as a Poweramp?

• Thread starter SWBSDJ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SWBSDJ

Reaction score
So I have a few questions as this is a new one to me & I dont really wanna mess anything up.

1. How is this actualy done iv heard of 2 ways of doing it. One would be to run a line out into the front end on a clean channel but then you have the eq on tht channel to deal with. Second is running a line out into the return of the effects loop to bypass the eq on the channel, more importantly does this actual work.

2. If I can run a line out into the effect loop return would i want to run said loop on serise or parallel.

Some help would be great :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you serious? ALL CAPZ title and then no CAPZ in post??

:lol:

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
more important than capslock

i'd like to know what you're actually asking

what are you running your line out from?
are you using a tube head
are you asking to use this as a power amp for PA purposes or guitar?

a little more light would help us help you

SWBSDJ

Reaction score
Ok so didnt see that rule my bad.

This is for guitar in a live situation running 2 2x12 zilla cabs
Basiclly i want to run a line 6 pod x3 pro or pod HD into my tube head which is a H&K Warp X. I want to know would you take the direct out from the line 6 and route it into the front end of the head and use the clean channel or would you run into the effects loop return bypassing the eq on the clean channel? I would prefer to do the latter if it is something that is possible as iv heard that you can do this.

Hope that explains what i mean.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
If you want to utilize the amp modeling of your processor, completely bypass the preamp in your head by running the out of the POD to the effects return of the amp. That is the easiest route.

SWBSDJ

Reaction score
Ok would it make a diffrence if the effects loop was paralell or serise?

celticelk

Reaction score
Ok would it make a diffrence if the effects loop was paralell or serise?

It should work in either case; if the effects loop is parallel, you'll want to set it for 100% "wet" so as to get the best signal strength from your modeller going into the head.

SWBSDJ

Reaction score
Ok cool my head is switchable between serise and parallel so that shoudl be fine.
I do have one more stupid question if you take a look at the back of the X3 on this link (Specifications | POD X3 Pro | Line 6) there are left and right 1/4" live outputs would you use a Y cable and run both left and right into the return in the head's loop or use just left or right? Also im asuming i would have to have it set to amp rather than line as im going into a head or am i wong and should set it to line?

celticelk

Reaction score
Ok cool my head is switchable between serise and parallel so that shoudl be fine.
I do have one more stupid question if you take a look at the back of the X3 on this link (Specifications | POD X3 Pro | Line 6) there are left and right 1/4" live outputs would you use a Y cable and run both left and right into the return in the head's loop or use just left or right? Also im asuming i would have to have it set to amp rather than line as im going into a head or am i wong and should set it to line?

Just pick one output; the Pro is configured for either one to work as a mono output. Also check in the Output page of the configuration that the line outs are configured for Live use - you won't need the speaker simulation if you're running into a power amp/cab setup. I'd set the outputs for Line level.

Latest posts

')