Amp head search begins

• Thread starter johnythehero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
Well a while a go I was looking for an amp head because mine...well sucked:lol:. That is until I found out that the 12ax7 has to go in a specific place otherwise it starts sounding really harsh and thin. I really like the rythm sound but....there is NO good lead tone I can get out of it. I also might be getting into a band that has an After the Burial/Tony Danza type sound so a 6505+ or 5150 would be great only one problem though I want an amp with 3 channels (clean, rythm, lead obviously) and a decent clean channel which I am pretty sure none of them have and my range is probably 1k or lower.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Carvin V3, affordable, three channel, versatile, built like a tank, high gain.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A used EVH 5150III should be only a little out of your price range. It has a similar snarl as the Peavey 5150/6505 amps, but with an awesome clean channel. May be worth selling off some gear or saving a bit longer to get something that you'll have with you longer. :2c:

pathos45

Reaction score
peavey jsx great cleans, i have my crunch channel sounding pretty close to a 5150, and my lead channel is the best sounding one ive had sence my mesa mark v

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
A used EVH 5150III should be only a little out of your price range. It has a similar snarl as the Peavey 5150/6505 amps, but with an awesome clean channel. May be worth selling off some gear or saving a bit longer to get something that you'll have with you longer. :2c:
I have no gear to sell and the 1k is the max because i need to buy a car too lol

and razzy i have been very intrested in them lately but I haven't found a good demo yet (though I haven't really looked either:lol:)

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
This video's old now, but at this point, I was running straight amp to cabinet.

I'm the tall goofy guy on the right.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no gear to sell and the 1k is the max because i need to buy a car too lol

and razzy i have been very intrested in them lately but I haven't found a good demo yet (though I haven't really looked either:lol:)

There's a refurb up on SameDayMusic for $1400 shipped, I think you may be able to find one for less being sold as used.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Is it boosted any?

Not in this video. The ONLY Thing that's not amp, that has ANYTHING to do with my tone that I was using at this time was a noise gate.

I do boost it now though, and it's SUPER tight. I'm using a Deltalab TD1 that only cost me $30, and it's just wonderful.

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
Not in this video. The ONLY Thing that's not amp, that has ANYTHING to do with my tone that I was using at this time was a noise gate.

I do boost it now though, and it's SUPER tight. I'm using a Deltalab TD1 that only cost me $30, and it's just wonderful.
how does the lead channel compare to the jsx I LOVE the lead channel on the jsx but not so much the rythm channel

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
how does the lead channel compare to the jsx I LOVE the lead channel on the jsx but not so much the rythm channel

I've never played with a JSX, but the V3 has a clean channel, and then two identical distortion channels, so you can really dial whichever one however you want.

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
I've never played with a JSX, but the V3 has a clean channel, and then two identical distortion channels, so you can really dial whichever one however you want.
they are identicle? I didn't know that but that actually sounds really benifitial as you can have the channel volume up one one channel for that extra volume boost instead of my stupid global volume that mine has lol

avenge the rage

Reaction score
Look for a engl mate, they sound sweet and will get you that tone you want. And should come under your budget.

Gryphon

Reaction score
Should be able to get a 3 channel Dual Rectifier for right at or under the 1k mark shipped.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If you look, you'll find a Mesa Dual Rec for $1K

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
they are identicle? I didn't know that but that actually sounds really benifitial as you can have the channel volume up one one channel for that extra volume boost instead of my stupid global volume that mine has lol

It has a footswitchable boost too, so you could have them dialed in different ways, and still be able to boost it when you needed it.

')