Amp head with DI &/or IR features or use my combo and a load?

neurosis

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for a solution to the following. I have been using my Ax8 to record for a while now and am happy with the results. Recently I started plugging my pedals into it as well which foot me wondering if there's be a better solution to record with those and have a more organic feel. I like recording without a mic and can only play my combo during the day so I stumbled on the REVV D20 reviews and thought I'd pull the trigger. I also like the idea of the Friedman Runt 20 as I like British voiced amps but having the Orange and already using a lot of Friedman in the Ax8 it seems unnecessary. I also wonder if the direct out cab simulation can be turned off. I haven't been able to confirm that.

But then I thought how great it would be if there was a product to get my Tiny Terror into the computer with IRs for silent recording.

That's where I got confused during my research. I found the torpedo CAB M and the Torpedo Captors as well as the Suhr Reactive Load really interesting but I am having trouble understanding if these will be a silent solution like the REVV and work for my Tiny Terror combo.

Do any of those three products work Head > Unit (captor or other) > Interface > DAW without the need to listen to the speaker from the amp in the room?

And would you recommend a product that can load the IRs I already own onboard or is the latency when loading them in the DAW through Wall of Sound fine in your opinion?

I like the idea of having the REVV. It looks neat. But I really love my tiny terror and would prefer a solution that helps me get more use out of it. From what I see some load boxes do not have the option of bypassing the IRs or simulation that come with them like in the case of the Friedman Cab NoMo (AFAIK). And they all are rated at different Ohm so they wouldn't work for every amp.

Can you give me a bit more insight on what you'd do in my situation and throw in any feedback on stuff I might not be considering?

Thank you!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
if these will be a silent solution

A loadbox converts speaker out to line level.

And they all are rated at different Ohm

If the loadbox is for 8 ohm, you should be covered for 99% of cases, afaik.

or is the latency when loading them in the DAW through Wall of Sound fine in your opinion?

That entirely depends on your sound card and computer, as well as what latency you're okay with, it's a personal thing. A dedicated unit should have 1-2ms of latency, with computers you should expect 5-10ms, but it highly varies, it can be lower than 5ms even, depends on gear and setup. I'd personally go for just the loadbox, then figure out on your own if you're okay with the latency. If not, get a Mooer Radar or a HX Stomp or something like that.

Reaction score
The Captor and Suhr will enable silent recording as you connect the head to the load boxes. You don't need a speaker attached to the load boxes from that point on.

neurosis

Reaction score
The Captor and Suhr will enable silent recording as you connect the head to the load boxes. You don't need a speaker attached to the load boxes from that point on.

So both are a head to interface solution then. And I am not forced to use their IRs either, right? I can get the amp directly into my DAW and load IRs there if I wanted.

Thanks!

neurosis

Reaction score
A loadbox converts speaker out to line level.

If the loadbox is for 8 ohm, you should be covered for 99% of cases, afaik.

That's one thing that is really confusing to me. The Tiny Terror Combo I have has two 8 ohm and one 16 Ohm outs. Currently the speaker is connected to the 16 Ohm...

Would something like the Captor X work with that? I am reading the Captor is 8 ohm. I also heard that it can be run at other impedances but couldn't find info in the manual.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What convinces you the TT is more organic than the ax8?

neurosis

Reaction score
What convinces you the TT is more organic than the ax8?

Defining it as more organic might have been an inappropriate use of the term, I might have walked into the realm of psychoacoustics there a bit as I have no proof that that'd be the case. In the end it's all going into a digital workspace anyway. :D

I love the Ax8 and it's my most used piece of gear. What I was getting at is that I believe that plugging my favorite combo into my DAW could give me a closer result to how I feel about it in the room than when I try to recreate it in the box. And as I said this is in part an attempt on my behalf of giving the TT more use instead of buying a new REVV to use as a pedal platform into my DAW.

In other words. I want a REVV but love my TT and think I could do the same with a tone I like better if I buy a different tool rather than that amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Sadly I'm of no use that others haven't offered, I was just wondering about the thinking behind the approach. Best of luck with it!

Reaction score
So both are a head to interface solution then. And I am not forced to use their IRs either, right? I can get the amp directly into my DAW and load IRs there if I wanted.

Thanks!
The Captor or Suhr will act as your interface solution which is better because it's a universal solution that will work with any amp you can plug into the load boxes. You can use any IRs you want with them.

neurosis

Reaction score
The Captor or Suhr will act as your interface solution which is better because it's a universal solution that will work with any amp you can plug into the load boxes. You can use any IRs you want with them.

Wait! I can go from the captor direct into the computer bypassing my interface?

D-Nasty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for a solution to the following. I have been using my Ax8 to record for a while now and am happy with the results. Recently I started plugging my pedals into it as well which foot me wondering if there's be a better solution to record with those and have a more organic feel. I like recording without a mic and can only play my combo during the day so I stumbled on the REVV D20 reviews and thought I'd pull the trigger. I also like the idea of the Friedman Runt 20 as I like British voiced amps but having the Orange and already using a lot of Friedman in the Ax8 it seems unnecessary. I also wonder if the direct out cab simulation can be turned off. I haven't been able to confirm that.

But then I thought how great it would be if there was a product to get my Tiny Terror into the computer with IRs for silent recording.

That's where I got confused during my research. I found the torpedo CAB M and the Torpedo Captors as well as the Suhr Reactive Load really interesting but I am having trouble understanding if these will be a silent solution like the REVV and work for my Tiny Terror combo.

Do any of those three products work Head > Unit (captor or other) > Interface > DAW without the need to listen to the speaker from the amp in the room?

And would you recommend a product that can load the IRs I already own onboard or is the latency when loading them in the DAW through Wall of Sound fine in your opinion?

I like the idea of having the REVV. It looks neat. But I really love my tiny terror and would prefer a solution that helps me get more use out of it. From what I see some load boxes do not have the option of bypassing the IRs or simulation that come with them like in the case of the Friedman Cab NoMo (AFAIK). And they all are rated at different Ohm so they wouldn't work for every amp.

Can you give me a bit more insight on what you'd do in my situation and throw in any feedback on stuff I might not be considering?

Thank you!

I have the Revv D20 & I just have to say that it's a fantastic amp. You can load your own IR's onto it or use the Two Notes cabs. You can run it DI into your interface or run it into a real cabinet. You can run it DI & use a real cab simultaneously as well.

I also have the Torpedo CAB M. If you use the CAB M a real cabinet must be connected to the head. It is not a loadbox.

The Captor is a loadbox. You can run any tube head into the Captor & run the Captor into your interface for silent recording. You can use your own IR's or the Two Notes cabs. You should really check out the new Captor X if that sounds interesting.

Sorry for the quick post. I'll get back to you asap with some in depth answers to your questions. I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment. :cheers:

neurosis

Reaction score
I have the Revv D20 & I just have to say that it's a fantastic amp. You can load your own IR's onto it or use the Two Notes cabs. You can run it DI into your interface or run it into a real cabinet. You can run it DI & use a real cab simultaneously as well.

I also have the Torpedo CAB M. If you use the CAB M a real cabinet must be connected to the head. It is not a loadbox.

The Captor is a loadbox. You can run any tube head into the Captor & run the Captor into your interface for silent recording. You can use your own IR's or the Two Notes cabs. You should really check out the new Captor X if that sounds interesting.

Sorry for the quick post. I'll get back to you asap with some in depth answers to your questions. I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment. :cheers:

Thanks a lot!

I checked out the Cab M hoping it would allow silent recording but as you say it needs the cab connected to it.

I am pretty sure the captor or the Suhr Reactive are what I want. Probably leaning towards the captor because I am familiar with the software. It seems like it's more bang for your buck at a similar price, too.

To be honest I feel the Captor 4, 8, 16 would serve the same purpose for what I'd use it for mostly which is connecting my combo direct into my interface for silent recording, right? It just doesn't load the IRs in the unit, I'd have to load an instance of Wall of Sound on the computer.

What I like about the Captor X compared to the regular captor is that it also allows different levels of attenuation and that you can load your most used IRs as presets.

The REVV looks amazing on paper but I have a Laney Ironheart Studio, the Orange Tiny Terror Combo and an AX8. I have the craving but I can't justify the purchase already having two amps. The AX8 is the most unit I ever owned. I got the hang of it and have polished a few patches to my liking over the years so it's a set it and forget it thing. But I absolutely love the Tiny Terror Combo and would like to have a way of recording it that doesn't require me to be blast my ears.

D-Nasty

Reaction score
Thanks a lot!

I checked out the Cab M hoping it would allow silent recording but as you say it needs the cab connected to it.

I am pretty sure the captor or the Suhr Reactive are what I want. Probably leaning towards the captor because I am familiar with the software. It seems like it's more bang for your buck at a similar price, too.

To be honest I feel the Captor 4, 8, 16 would serve the same purpose for what I'd use it for mostly which is connecting my combo direct into my interface for silent recording, right? It just doesn't load the IRs in the unit, I'd have to load an instance of Wall of Sound on the computer.

What I like about the Captor X compared to the regular captor is that it also allows different levels of attenuation and that you can load your most used IRs as presets.

The REVV looks amazing on paper but I have a Laney Ironheart Studio, the Orange Tiny Terror Combo and an AX8. I have the craving but I can't justify the purchase already having two amps. The AX8 is the most unit I ever owned. I got the hang of it and have polished a few patches to my liking over the years so it's a set it and forget it thing. But I absolutely love the Tiny Terror Combo and would like to have a way of recording it that doesn't require me to be blast my ears.

I plan on getting a Captor X myself. It looks like a great unit. I have a Mesa Rectifier & PRS Archon that I'd like to record DI.

I hope you get it all worked out! Post back with some audio clips & let us hear the results! :hbang:

neurosis

Reaction score
I plan on getting a Captor X myself. It looks like a great unit. I have a Mesa Rectifier & PRS Archon that I'd like to record DI.

I hope you get it all worked out! Post back with some audio clips & let us hear the results! :hbang:

I'll put in an order for the Captor X this week. Seems like a practical reasonably priced option for me with enough features to make good use of it in the future. Let's see how it goes.

Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
Wait! I can go from the captor direct into the computer bypassing my interface?
No. The Captor doesn't have USB capabilities. You have to use either the line out (which might work in the microphone input with an adapter but wouldn't yield the best result) or XLR into an interface.

neurosis

Reaction score
No. The Captor doesn't have USB capabilities. You have to use either the line out (which might work in the microphone input with an adapter but wouldn't yield the best result) or XLR into an interface.

You're right. I checked through the specs again. I ordered it but it's not been stocked yet so waiting for it to be shipped. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Reaction score
You're right. I checked through the specs again. I ordered it but it's not been stocked yet so waiting for it to be shipped. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Nice. I use mine all the time. It's an excellent little device and I use the Wall of Sound plugin for my IRs which I'm really happy with as well. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it. The -20db attenuation is also useful to crank your amp to its sweet spot without windows rattling.