Amp Modelers

Do amp modelers facilitate your recording?

• Yes.

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • No.

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters

MarcusProg

Reaction score
How many of you guys would not be able to record what you do with good results if it weren't for amp modelers/sims such as Guitar Rig, the AXE-FX II, or the Kemper Profiling Amp?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

atoragon

Reaction score
I usually record both with mics and D.I. and edit both tracks together. then, if in the mixing phase i realize that for some reason the miked tracks sounds too bad, i stick to the sims.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I started on an Eleven Rack back when no one liked it. I learned a lot from that modeler. Then I moved on to using microphones on everything. The workload increases by about 100% but as a friend of mine stated, "it sounds real!"

I should mention I don't record what is typically recorded on SSO. I don't own Superior Drummer, Trillian (?), or even the Eleven Rack anymore. I treat amps like acoustic instruments and mic them similarly. The one exception is my Mesa Boogie Rectifier Recording Preamp, it is a Direct Recording Preamp that uses tube and analog circuitry to emulate a Dual/Triple Rectifier Solo head. The clean (Green) channel is easy to work with, the high gain channel (Red) is a finicky beast to tame...:squint:...but like I said, the workload is higher so that is to be expected.

Tech 21 is another brand I've briefly used for recording but would like to explore what they have to offer more in depth. :yesway:

melb_shredder

Bringer of riffs
Reaction score
Depends on your aim. I ALWAYS track DI with Amp Sims for monitoring (that includes all my clients, with Rock, Pop, metal etc). But then I reamp with one of the numerous heads I have in the studio. :) I still can't beat the tone of a well micd amp personally.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
For me, there's no choice. Even if I had a tube amp and cab, I would not have the space and time to devote to cranking it and making it sound good. Modelers give me the ability to lock in my tone and track and not disturb anyone else in the house.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
For me, there's no choice. Even if I had a tube amp and cab, I would not have the space and time to devote to cranking it and making it sound good. Modelers give me the ability to lock in my tone and track and not disturb anyone else in the house.

Same here....I'm in a condo, so can't even have tube amps here up above 1. So, I don't have anymore tube amps. JamUp/BIAS and various other things let me go straight to GarageBand with headphones on, and the tracks sound good for what they are. It's mostly practice anyway, jamming along with backing tracks, etc...so I'm cool with it.

Aris_T

Reaction score
I had excellent results (at least to my ears) with my Valvestate 100W cranked up. BUT living in a condo, made this opportunity rare. Modelers made it easy. REALLY easy. I started with a POD xt live and now moved to Kemper.
I suppose a miced VH4 sounds awesome and organic, but I don't have to opportunity to even be in a room with a VH4 (or the X highly regarded amp). Even if this could happen, I'm not sure if I/the engineer would be able to deliver the awesomeness.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I track with an amp sim for monitoring usually, since you can't really crank an amp at 2am. But then I reamp with a mic'd amp.

HaloHat

Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
Sold my house so in an apartment till I find a new place to buy. Can't crank the 4x12, that's for sure. Even the modeler [POD Pro X] through my studio monitors is pushing it. My 1watt Smokey Amp is getting used a lot lately lol.

Best thing about the modeler imho are the patches. One step on the switch = whole new rig. Gotta love that along with the variety of sounds available in one light unit. Back in the day modelers sounded so bad. So much better now days. Actually usable tones and affordable compared to buying even one good tube amp head that I can't even use now because the volume limitations of the apt.

Latest posts