Amp recommendations?

• Thread starter tpl2000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm looking for a new amp, right now... My Tubemeister may be great for clean, but it doesn't have the right distortion for me--not to mention, the 18W seems a little bit incomplete.

So, here's my setup currently--

Guitar (PRS SE semi-hollow, paul allender sig, 7 string cu24) ->
Ernie Ball VP Jr.
(Korg Pitchblack+)
MXR 10-band EQ
ISP Decimator II
TC Electronics Ditto

Line 6 podHD500x, with a 4 cable method involving the Tubemeister.
Marshall VS412 cabinet

My budget is around $500-550. I'm well aware that I'll most likely have to buy used gear to get a good amp, so that's fine by me.

Tones I like--Obscura, so far as solos go. Arsis, some of their older rhythm sounds are great. Keith Merrow, of course, alongside Jeff Loomis (and their collaboration included.)

I would love to have a good clean channel, as well. I understand that the two are usually mutually exclusive (Good distortion, bad clean and vice versa) but I figured I'd mention it.

Moreover, I like relatively fast but smooth lead tones, and a good in-your-face punch with the rhythm. I'm also the kind of person who usually goes B4-M7-T7 with the EQ. I really tend to dislike mid-scoops, they don't actually tell you what the note is supposed to be (imo.)

So, I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations for a good amp. Fo' Reelz, yo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

campbell01

Reaction score
Hey man I'd recommend looking at the Peavey Valveking II models. The micro one is 20w at around $430 if you still prefer lower wattage. It sounded killer when i tried it through an Orange 1x12. Really smooth, clear, and plenty of gain. I liked it better than the dual rec I tried so there's that too lol. If not I know they have a 100w version that goes for 600 if you want to push your budget. I didn't try the 100w but i assume they sound similar.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
engl e530 with any poweramp of your preference.

peavey ultra 120+ which has a mark type of sound going on that seems to fit the bill.

Of course 5150 used on a good day might be found in that price range.

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score

peavey ultra 120+ which has a mark type of sound going on that seems to fit the bill.

IIRC, didn't they change the name of the 5150 adue to EVH/Fender? (Surprisingly good distortion for a Fender amp, btw...)

I sort of suspect it's the current 3120, but I may be wrong.

I know they turned the JSX into the XXX v2

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
IIRC, didn't they change the name of the 5150 adue to EVH/Fender? (Surprisingly good distortion for a Fender amp, btw...)

I sort of suspect it's the current 3120, but I may be wrong.

I know they turned the JSX into the XXX v2

they changed the 5150 to the 6505 as eddie van halen owns the rights to the name and moved to fender

i'd keep my eye out for an old rack tube power amp to use with the pod as preamp such as a marshall 9100 (very big and very heavy), the mesa 50/50 or most likely in your price range the carvin ts100

skeeballcore

Reaction score

For Obscura and Loomis tones I'd think the e530 would be great. Maybe the ironball?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Engl, Peavey, or Randall will do you just fine.

Specifically,

Engl e530 + power amp (preferably tube, check out Carvin TS100 or Mesa Fifty or 2-50 or 2-Ninety, though there are many nice SS options)
though might be out of your budget

Peavey XXX or 3120 (arguably better cleans than the 6505+ or 5150)
Peavey JSX

Randall V2
Randall T2
Randall Diavlo

Actually if I were in your shoes looking at your current rig, I would stick with the Pod HD and get a power amp and then use the remaining money to upgrade your current cab. Unless maybe you've already changed the stock speakers? Cabs and speakers are so underrated in a rig ;)

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
For Obscura and Loomis tones I'd think the e530 would be great. Maybe the ironball?

Yeah that was what I was thinking. His budget would allow for it. Ironball might be a bit raw for that sound would it not?

tpl2000

Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.
Reaction score
So far, the Randall Diavlo seems to be right up my alley. I'd be interested in the Engl e530, but it requires a power amp and a rackmount setup, which I lack.

Also kind of interested in the POD plus power amp idea. Anyone know of some power amps that are sold by guitar center?

The suggestions thus far have been pretty good, from what I can tell with the help of Youtube videos. Many thanks, gys, and more suggestions are always welcome!

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
Are there any other recommendations out there?

I guess one that comes to mind tone wise is the randall RG13 1W amplifier. Might be worth looking into for those types of tones.

sandalhat

Reaction score
From what people are saying I'd see about playing a 3120. A long time ago when I had my 5150 II, I'd set up my main rhythm tone unboosted and just hit it with a TS type boost to go into a great lead tone. That might be all too conventional for most of the metal players now who need the TS boost on most amps to get it tight enough for their liking, but it worked for me. By the way, this works best when you set the eq up more like what you're talking about in your original post rather than heavily scooping it. I discovered this when I was wondering why the heck the 5150 was Van Halen's signature amp when it seemed to sound nothing like his guitar tone. As soon as I set it up with more mids, lower gain (not really low though considering what amp we're talking about), and hit it with the TS, it started to almost make sense.

Where I'm going with it though is that the clean channel wasn't good, and apparently the 3120 is better. From all the hate that the 5150 amps get for their cleans, they may surprise you because they aren't god-awful. But compared to a good clean amp or a great high gain amp with a good clean channel, they are pretty bad. So if you can still get a similar gain channel experience with the 3120 and the clean is better, it sounds to me like it's worth you checking out.

areyna21

Reaction score
I was runnng a pod hd500 through a rivera knucklehead II. On a good day you can find them in that range and they are flexible enough to do anything. Only reason I got rid of it is because I upgraded to a mesa mark iv. Otherwise it did everything I needed it to do with the pod. I wrote up a whole thread on how the two work together. Keep a lookout on reverb, music go round, and guitar center used. Those places usually have deals pop up pretty often.

')