Amp stuff

• Thread starter Oddkid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Oddkid

Reaction score
This is a bit of a two parter.

I've been considering buying a Blackstar HT100. I had a thread up here before talking about my JCM900 and if its giggable and the result was positive, however, i've had a turn of fortunes and the prospect of a nice new shiny modern amp is pretty tempted. Browsing the net on my lunch break with a friend, i came across Bugera amps (who apparently are linked to Beringher whom i've always found to be good quality) The 333 is interesting me because it has 3 channels and that makes it more versatile than the HT100, its also horrendously cheap which makes me suspicious. What's the deal with Bugera?

When i bought this up with another friend of mine, he asked me why bother with 100 Watt as he uses only 15. In a clinic two weeks ago, Gus G said that 200 Watts is well worth it and Firewind only play small venues as it is. What does everyone think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodbath Salt

Title-less
Reaction score
What type of music do you play?
Are you looking to buy an amp for gigs, recording, or for mostly home/practice use?

IMO, 15 watts is too small for playing gigs and might be too loud for practice use at home. Also keep in consideration that a lot of places have PA systems.

Oddkid

Reaction score
Its mainly heavy metal, prog stuff really including heavy over-driven drop A stuff and light clean acoustic simulation sections.

Really it needs to do home practice and gigs once we're up and running.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What can you actually try out?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
No other amps in existence that you can try out?

I would say put the money in your savings for now, and gig the JCM900. Until you do (as it sounds like you haven't), you won't know where it's strengths and faults really lie for what you're trying to do. Much like my Roadster was great, then I joined a band and found it didn't gel the best with what we were doing.

Save your money, do more research, try not to lust after a different amp (tough I know ;) ) and see how your current rig actually holds up first.

Or buy a new amp of your choosing and try to come out on top :lol:

Oddkid

Reaction score
Sound advice thanks very much!

Yeah i've been doing overtime at work and the money is burning a hole in my pocket, i should just reign myself in haha

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It usually pays off in the long run. Get in the habit of saving, not spending. Take it from someone learning the hard way ;)

Bevo

Reaction score
Your Marshall is a solid amp and with the right boost or pedals it can become a monster. If you want to spend money I would fit it with new tubes, get it serviced and try out some new pedals to give it that extra kick.

Using the right pedal can work like a third channel..

Also look at your cab, what are you using?
If the cab is not the best start there, any other head will work with it so its a win win.

Oddkid

Reaction score
Your Marshall is a solid amp and with the right boost or pedals it can become a monster. If you want to spend money I would fit it with new tubes, get it serviced and try out some new pedals to give it that extra kick.

Using the right pedal can work like a third channel..

Also look at your cab, what are you using?
If the cab is not the best start there, any other head will work with it so its a win win.

That's the thing, its the 1x12 combo version. A good service might spice it up, i'm not really 100% sure though. I'm running the MXR Bezerker OD in front of it and it sounds okish, definitely an improvement.

')