Ampeg VH140c alternative

• Thread starter inhuman666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

inhuman666

Reaction score
Looking for an alternative to the Ampeg VH140c in the $300 price range.

Got f**ked by GC after waiting for one to arrive after 5 weeks!

Any suggestions?

Btw I play brutal/old-school deathmetal, was trying to avoid a tube amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Crate VTX200, VTX350, GTX3500H, GX130C, any Excallubur series head. Marshall 8100, 8200, or VS100. And of course, the Randall RH100G2, RH150G3+, RH200G2, RH250G2, RH300G3+, V-Max, Cyclone, or Titan.

All those will nail an old-school death metal tone easily, but the RH150G3+ and RH300G3+ will be a bit more on the modern side. And the V-Max, G3+, and Marshall heads do have a tube in the preamp (the V-Max has a tube gain channel and a solid state gain channel), but they can still easily nail that tone you want. :yesway:

Oh, and the Cyclone is basically the Randall Warhead Dimebag sig head, just without his name and the onboard FX.. The Cyclone and RH250G2 are probably the hardest to find of the late 90's/early 2000's Randall amps, with the Titan, Vmax, and RH200G2 heads being fairly common. The RH100G2 can be found very easily and cheap.

And with the Crates, the GX130C is basically a carbon copy of the VH140C. The VTX and GTX amps have the same preamp as the Ampeg, just with a more powerful power amp. The Excallibur and GT heads are high gain amps, but I think they're a tweaked version of the VH140C.

As for the Marshalls, you can't mention a Valvestate without mentioning Chuck Schuldiner. :lol: And of course the first Meshuggah album. Cannibal Corpse also used them for one album, I think.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a Crate GT3500H in the past, it did SS death metal tones really well. You need a good cab tho.

Mazzy

Banned
Reaction score
It might be slightly over budget, but look at a Peavey Rockmaster and a cheap SS poweramp like the ART SLA2. I've owned three versions of the Ampeg VH140C, and while it's a good budget amp, it is seriously overrated on this message board.

widdlywhaa

Reaction score
^The above post is overtly negative. I own 2 and the VH is the best SS amp ever. Incredibly loud, even more so than my 5150 to be honest.

If you want a really good deal look for an ampeg SS series as well. they made SS-140Cs and SS-150s. Pretty much the same amp with a little different look.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
^The above post is overtly negative. I own 2 and the VH is the best SS amp ever. Incredibly loud, even more so than my 5150 to be honest.

If you want a really good deal look for an ampeg SS series as well. they made SS-140Cs and SS-150s. Pretty much the same amp with a little different look.

The SS amps don't have quite as much gain. The VHs are capable of death metal with the gain at 5. You need to have it a bit higher on the SSs to get the same sound.

Mazzy

Banned
Reaction score

It's good, but definitely overrated (best? c'mon...). I've owned the VH140C in head and combo versions, and an SS150. Good amplifier, but there's more options out there.

great_kthulu

Reaction score
I played on an ss140 combo, thing was instant thrash tone! a little tweaking brought on that classic death metal sound. BTW, John from dying fetus has his vh140 scooped to HELL, lows 10, mids 0 and highs 5.
I also second the idea of a tightmetal with a power amp, heres a quick vid of me useing that exact setup:

The power amp is an EHX 44 magnum, great little power amp, plenty of of volume on tap, and when you crank it you get a real organic saturation, great dirty clean! (I wasn't able to crank it in the vid due to my cameras mike. I know I post this vid a lot, but I am firm in my belief that at this price you can't beat this setup!

Joseph Goodman

Reaction score
The thing to keep in mind with the SS-140/150, is that the bass and high controls on the lead channel come *before* any distortion, so to get the most gain out of the SS series, you need to have those controls cranked up, and dialing them back will cut the gain.

groph

Reaction score
It's good, but definitely overrated (best? c'mon...). I've owned the VH140C in head and combo versions, and an SS150. Good amplifier, but there's more options out there.

It's a matter of taste. Chuck got some of the best death metal tones out of the Marshall Valvestates but I'd never go near one. The VH140 is definitely really saturated and it has a mild 80's kind of flavor to it I think?

As far as alternatives go, I'd look for something that is really saturated, really compressed, and really tight so maybe something like an Ibanez TBX150H, or the Randall G3 series would fit the bill.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I had it closer to 8 when I tried an SS-150. I owned a VH-150 for over 2 years.

Damn, I honestly don't think I could get along with that much gain. 5.5-6 was the sweet spot for brutality/clarity IMO, then again I do use Blackouts and EMGs. I think I had it at around 4 w/HM-2 or MT-2.

For solid state deathmetal tone? Please advise, always looking to check out other stuff.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, I honestly don't think I could get along with that much gain. 5.5-6 was the sweet spot for brutality/clarity IMO, then again I do use Blackouts and EMGs. I think I had it at around 4 w/HM-2 or MT-2.

Yeah, I mostly use passives with a bit lower output than those. Also, I never had the VH and SS side-by-side, so it's basically from memory.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've also heard claims the SS sounded weaker then the VH, specifically the one with the blue stripe in front.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
There needs to be a solid state thread - we're getting a LOT of threads lately covering the same ground and the exact same answers are given time after time :)

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Crate VTX200, VTX350, GTX3500H, GX130C, any Excallubur series head. Marshall 8100, 8200, or VS100. And of course, the Randall RH100G2, RH150G3+, RH200G2, RH250G2, RH300G3+, V-Max, Cyclone, or Titan.

All those will nail an old-school death metal tone easily, but the RH150G3+ and RH300G3+ will be a bit more on the modern side. And the V-Max, G3+, and Marshall heads do have a tube in the preamp (the V-Max has a tube gain channel and a solid state gain channel), but they can still easily nail that tone you want. :yesway:

Oh, and the Cyclone is basically the Randall Warhead Dimebag sig head, just without his name and the onboard FX.. The Cyclone and RH250G2 are probably the hardest to find of the late 90's/early 2000's Randall amps, with the Titan, Vmax, and RH200G2 heads being fairly common. The RH100G2 can be found very easily and cheap.

And with the Crates, the GX130C is basically a carbon copy of the VH140C. The VTX and GTX amps have the same preamp as the Ampeg, just with a more powerful power amp. The Excallibur and GT heads are high gain amps, but I think they're a tweaked version of the VH140C.

As for the Marshalls, you can't mention a Valvestate without mentioning Chuck Schuldiner. :lol: And of course the first Meshuggah album. Cannibal Corpse also used them for one album, I think.

Succinctly this ^^ with the addition of Gallien Kreuger 250GL, Ibanez TBX150.....in fact:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/187376-solid-state-amps-yes-thats-right.html

Latest posts

')