Ampeg VH140c alternative

• Thread starter inhuman666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

col

blah.
Reaction score
Sansamp PSA-1 + power amp. :hbang:

No idea if this will be over budget though.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Are there any demos out there of the GK250ML? I know Chuck used them in a few live shows for Death, but I'm kinda unsure of the fact. :scratch:

There are but they're not particularly good demos so it's not very representative of the potential. It's a very good amp but extremely hard to find.....I tried one through a late 70's Marshall 4 x 12 and it was crushing with a fabulous lead tone and shimmering cleans to boot.

inhuman666

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the older model Ampeg VH140c and the newer Marshall-looking model?

Read somewhere on the forum that the old one sounds better.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the older model Ampeg VH140c and the newer Marshall-looking model?

Read somewhere on the forum that the old one sounds better.

As said before, the consensus is that the one that the SS (The one that looks like an SVT) has a bit less gain then the VH (the one that looks more like a Marshall)

If you really want the old school metal tone, get the Crate VTX350H, IMO. Same preamp as the VH, just with a louder mono power amp. In fact, theres one on Guitarcenter's used section ATM. :agreed:

goat violator

Procrastinator
Reaction score
I've also heard claims the SS sounded weaker then the VH, specifically the one with the blue stripe in front.

I just got my VH-140C back from getting rebuild after 2 years (my fault not theirs) In the meantime I had been using my SS-150 and 8100 Valvestate (and some other gear). Honestly I can say the 140C blows the 150 0ut of the water!! As people have said, you dont need OD and the gain is good at 5 to 6.
Whereas the 150 needs a helping hand.
One thing I did notice that I had forgotten was that you need good pickups for the VH to sing!!. I found my BC Rich V with Bill Lawrence XL500's in it was perfect, but my Epiphone Black Beauty (stock) was as muddy as hell. Funnily enough I tried my Kramer 7 (with an X2N7) and it was muddy as well. I found the 8100 needs a helping hand to even get close to the VH, but never achieves the clarity, which some people might find a bit "false" and lacking in the organic sound tubes produce. But if you want to nail that particular Death metal tone, it is perfect and unbeatable!!

Latest posts

')