Ampeg VH140C doesn't sound good

• Thread starter Dehumanize
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
I've been using an Ampeg VH140C in stereo with a 6505, and while it's done great as a supplementary amplifier, it just doesn't seem to get that thick distortion like the bands that have popularized this amp, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, etc. I've been boosting with either an HM-2 or Bodenhamer Bloody Murder, depending on which sound I'm needing, but it's still missing something. I've played around with settings of course, and still nothing. It still sounds decent, but it just doesn't have the thickness I expected. I'm paying through a Mesa Rectifier cabinet loaded with Mesa Vintage 30s, so the cab shouldn't be the problem since these are great for metal and has done fine with other amplifiers.

Anybody have suggestions on how to improve sound with this amp? I'm determined to get the sound I need from it, whether it's a change in settings, different boosting methods, or anything else.

If you have any details on other equipment for bands that are known for using the Ampeg VH140C, then I'm interested in that information too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpie

Reaction score
Wow, i have never heard anyone describe the VH's tone the way you have. Have you tried, playing through it without a boost. Is that tone too thin for you as well? I've know Doug (from suffo) and him and Terrance always used a BBE sonic maximizer with this head. And of all the words to describe how heavy that was, well "thin" is just NOT the word. lol

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, i have never heard anyone describe the VH's tone the way you have. Have you tried, playing through it without a boost. Is that tone too thin for you as well? I've know Doug (from suffo) and him and Terrance always used a BBE sonic maximizer with this head. And of all the words to describe how heavy that was, well "thin" is just NOT the word. lol
I've tried without boosting too. I'm sure the amplifier is capable of what I'm wanting, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

:wallbash:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
If you have any details on other equipment for bands that are known for using the Ampeg VH140C, then I'm interested in that information too.

Suffo' used the old Korg G1's (I have one) as a boost back in the day, I believe. Not sure which mode. Its really fairly flat OD, like a TS without any mid-bump character and a bit more compression.

Scarpie

Reaction score
Suffo' used the old Korg G1's (I have one) as a boost back in the day, I believe. Not sure which mode. Its really fairly flat OD, like a TS without any mid-bump character and a bit more compression.

Hahaha and that is what was used to record Pierced From Within.

jllozano

Reaction score
It needs about 40% volume to start sounding thick i believe.....try using higher volume, lower gain

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
dude, if youre playing it next to a tube amp, especially a 5150, itll sound thin no matter what. solid states just cant be compared to tube amps in live situations. youll never get the fullness your looking for with that amp. it's probably best used to record with if youre looking for that high gain death metal sound. this is coming from someone who's owned both and has vouched for solid state amps for years.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
EQ and gain settings?
It's something around:

Bass - 6
Mids - 4
High - 8

I'll see if I can get my hands on a G1 just to see how it sounds, but I couldn't imagine it being any better than the Bloody Murder or HM2 I typically use.

It needs about 40% volume to start sounding thick i believe.....try using higher volume, lower gain
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

dude, if youre playing it next to a tube amp, especially a 5150, itll sound thin no matter what. solid states just cant be compared to tube amps in live situations. youll never get the fullness your looking for with that amp. it's probably best used to record with if youre looking for that high gain death metal sound. this is coming from someone who's owned both and has vouched for solid state amps for years.
John Gallagher from Dying Fetus always use a VH140C on stage and has great tone, so that's not right. The Ampeg isn't always ran in stereo either, but it can drown the 6505 without a problem. It just doesn't get the tone from Suffocation's Pierced From Within.

christpuncher66

Christpuncher66(6)
Reaction score
John Gallagher from Dying Fetus always use a VH140C on stage and has great tone, so that's not right. The Ampeg isn't always ran in stereo either, but it can drown the 6505 without a problem. It just doesn't get the tone from Suffocation's Pierced From Within.

I'm willing to bet Dying Fetus mic up their amps live. How do you manage to get the vh-140 to drown out the 6505?

Suffocation used boosted Marshalls for Pierced. I think they used the Ampeg for Despise the Sun.

here's a video of Dying Fetus using the ampeg. doesnt actually sound that good if you listen carefully. i think you're confusing the ampeg's tone with that of a mesa dual rec or a nice tube amp pushed by EMG's or Od pedals. the only good tones youll get out of it are old school bands like Assuck, Discordance Axis, and Cannibal Corpse from Tomb of the Mutilated (i know they use the crates, but its pretty close) or even Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer album (crate shockwave, i know). go back and listen to those albums, they sound very mid scooped and trebly, and any thickness comes from production and mastering. sorry to burst your bubble, dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJxCLcU6Wc

Scarpie

Reaction score
Suffocation used boosted Marshalls for Pierced. I think Despise the Sun used the Ampeg, but i might be wrong. can anyone confirm?

Knowing them personally i can attest to this being very accurate. The korgs were used to boost the marshalls on Pierced.

Dehumanize

Banned
Reaction score
I'm getting great results from the Ampeg VH140C just by itself with Boss GE-7 Graphic Equalizer in the effects loop and a Boss HM-2 out in front for a boost with distortion at zero. It's really getting close to that Sunlight/Swedish style like Dismember and Carnage. I'm still messing around to see what this amplifier can do though. Please, share settings and other pieces in your Ampeg solid state rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')