Amps for 200~ish

• Thread starter Cheesebuiscut
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
SO! I found a legacy in my extended price range (ugh my wallet) that I might be able to snag if it isnt gone yet!

Anyone have any experience with one of those?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
SO! I found a legacy in my extended price range (ugh my wallet) that I might be able to snag if it isnt gone yet!

Anyone have any experience with one of those?

You're definitely going to have to boost it, well at least I'm next to positive you will. They're probably pretty gainy, as they do the Vai lead tone but I can't see them being all that tight on their own.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Supposedly comes with a ts808 so I'd have the boost!

Dunno too much bout the amp though looks nice on paper but I know how that goes...

So its not even a borderlining tight amp?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My brother and I were in a shop today, we tried out a randall G3 75W 112 2ch combo. Gorgeous cleans, and on gain 1 it sounded pretty damn good for modern metal (mids up, bass and treble at half, gain to taste). The store wants $200 for it, it's a trade in in fairly good shape. I would definitely keep an eye out for one of those.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I've only ever seen 1 randall amp (a cheap used one) a year or two ago in a samash once. Besides that I have never seen anyone around here carry a randall so I'm not keeping my hopes up for them popping up xD I appreciate the assist though!

I've pretty much convinced myself that the blackstar ht-5 is going to be the most practical decision for me now looking at price / what I'm using it for.

I keep rethinking it every 5 minutes and coming to the same conclusion :wallbash:

Bout to head to the store to reassure myself that I still love the way it sounds and possibly try to haggle and see if I can afford it from them. If not the used start will probably begin more hardcore!

groph

Reaction score
Supposedly comes with a ts808 so I'd have the boost!

Dunno too much bout the amp though looks nice on paper but I know how that goes...

So its not even a borderlining tight amp?

Well I've never played one so I can't confirm that it isn't but it's not an amp one would go to for metal. I've heard one clip of one that was a passable metal tone, but it was more of a Black Label Society type of sound rather than what you're probably looking for. You'd probably have to pile on the gain, which isn't good if you're looking for tightness.

I'd be on the lookout for a Randall amp of some sort, their solid state stuff is cheap and sounds awesome, regardless of "for the price" or not, they just sound good period. Most clips of them around Youtube seem to be all scooped to hell, producing that unfortunate tone Randall is kind of known for. I tried an older G2 series RH150 head and it was easily the tightest amp I've ever played through, even with the bass up nearly all the way.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Randall RG75:
Gain 1
Gain: 4
Contour: 8
Bass: 5
Mids: 8
Treble: 5
Level: taste
Reverb: 1
Master: taste

= punchy tight modern goodness.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
If any of you guys have been curious about trying the peavey 3120 I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Just tried one today through a recto cab, holy shit.

')