Amps for 200~ish

• Thread starter Cheesebuiscut
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
So I might be selling my line 6 combo that I hate. Looking at 200$ right now might be a bit more and have a little cash of my own to throw down.

What amps are there in the 200-300$ range that get a good enough sound (reason I'm trying to sell my line 6 is I cant stand the tone anymore) within that budget?

I'm probably only going to be practicing at home / the occasional jam but if I do end up in a situation where I may need to play small venues it would be nice if the amp could handle that as well.

Only thing I could think of off the top of my head is a blackstar ht-5 but maybe you guys'll think of something I won't.

Ty!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Oh I'm an ass I forgot to say what I was using it for :wallbash:

Pretty much want a nice enough clean (not too picky just not 6505 cleans) and then a nice articulate high gain distortion "djenty" if you will.

my biggest peeve with the line 6 distortion besides not being able to adjust the mids and having 0 cut is the extreme fizz so nothing fizzy plz! (vypyr) Nothing marshally either as I'm not much of a fan of.

If I manage to sell some other stuff I may be looking at a few hundred more so feel free to break the 300$ limit a bit.

checkin out that jca atm, hard to find anything getting even mildly heavy though xD

grants

Reaction score
I've got a Randall RG100 ES that I'd be willing to part with. Check em out on youtube.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Not a fan of what I heard of that rg.

Anyone know anything else? I just got back from trying the blackstar and was definitely diggin it just concerned with how loud it gets.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Hmmmm.

If you get financially lucky, you could look into a used 6505+ 1x12 combo. I tried one out in GC a while back and it sounded SICK.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
NOT a peavey VK.

Look for a used peavey bandit or XL or XXL :yesway:

troyguitar

Reaction score
I used a ValveKing 1x12 for quite awhile and it sounded pretty good... never understood the hate they get. Slap an SD-1 in front of it if you are a gain junkie and you're good to go.

The Jet City head is awesome but probably won't be your thing as it's a single-channel head with relatively old-school tone (no br00talz). It would sound amazing with a band, but you'll probably find that it doesn't have enough bass and gain for practicing today's heavy stuff by yourself.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I spent a month and a half with a VK212 at my place on loan while my halfstack was at the jam space. It's not that it's a bad amp, it's just that it sounds no better then a properly dialed in SS/modeling amp to me. It's a budget tube amp, and while it may have tubes that does not mean that it is heads and shoulders above the latest modeling offers. I don't hate the amp, but one can do better. I have jammed using the VK212, I used it at home, I've spent time with it - and I'd look elsewhere.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Jet city's might actually be interesting to try. Truth be told I don't use all that much gain, basically the bare minimum to get a distorted enough sound. My gain channels sound more like a crunchy clean channel then a gain channel compared to people I jam with.

I also leave the tone on the thin side so thats not much of an issue for me. Not a fan of pushing more bass than the bassist and drummer combined :rolleyes:

The blackstar ht-5 is not really meant to do any brootal stuff and it had plenty of gain for me(had it at like 6), even more so after I put a boost on it only needed to have the gain at like 3-4.

Reaction score
One've them lil Blackstars. They sounding fucking badass. 5 watt all tube.

Ah, just read up the thread before i posted and noticed you already tried one. I bloody love them things.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
So I'm basically looking at either a blackstar ht-5 (which I've determined I approve of) or the peavey windsor (which I'm hoping to go try out tomorrow)

It looks like they both go around the same price I have a windsor I could get for 250$ right now or a blackstar for anywhere from 200-250.

What do you guys think of the windsor? I'm kinda keen on the fact that its not 5 watts but thats about it.

Arminius

Reaction score
The valveking isn't gonna get you that djent sound, at least on it's own. the xxl can though, and you should really give the Randall a listen in person, they are great amps if you set em up right, I owned one until I wanted less tightness.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind tryin one if I could find anyone who carries em around me xD

Doesn't seem like its gon' happen.

troyguitar

Reaction score
If you mean the 100W Windsor head, I would avoid it if you'll be playing at home most of the time. They are like Marshalls in that they sound fucking great cranked, but pretty lackluster at home.

I haven't tried the little Windsor (Studio?).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I know someone said it already but I'm sure the JCA20 + boost could pull a djent tone if you tweaked it right. It's $100 more than you were looking at but it'd be brand new.

Latest posts

')