AMT Electroics Stonehead rack is finally here!

• Thread starter justallama
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

justallama

Reaction score
So since I first watched ola's demo of the Stonehead demo, I loved the tone. I remember, when researching it, reading countless comments saying: "the switching is awkward, they should use midi", "I want a rack version" and "I don't think this would be loud enough with a live drummer".

Well they've just announced a 100W rack version with midi! There's no English description at the moment, but you can look at a picture or google translate the Russian here #2016: AMT StoneHead SH-100R | AMT Electronics an official website

Bearitone

Reaction score
Hell yes! This looks awesome. I actually wish they had a head version though. Can't wait to hear some demos

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
yeeeaaahhh-loki.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sylcfh

Reaction score
Apparently, it's using the mini triodes from their SS tubes instead of JFET transistors for the preamp section.

wakjob

Reaction score
Apparently, it's using the mini triodes from their SS tubes instead of JFET transistors for the preamp section.

Now that's interesting.
I wonder if the Russian figured out how to make those mini tubes sound good?

I've yet to hear anything, other than maybe that Bluguitar amp1 thing, that sounded even remotely decent using mini tubes.

And these being those SS mini's... hmmmm? Aren't those just JFET's in a can anyway?

Shask

Reaction score
That looks pretty interesting.

I have always wondered why we dont see more things like this.

Bearitone

Reaction score
That looks pretty interesting.

I have always wondered why we dont see more things like this.

Right?
AMT has some really great stuff. I feel like they will be the one's to make solid state more mainstream.

Elric

Reaction score

Jemplayer

Reaction score
Now that's interesting.
I wonder if the Russian figured out how to make those mini tubes sound good?

I've yet to hear anything, other than maybe that Bluguitar amp1 thing, that sounded even remotely decent using mini tubes.

And these being those SS mini's... hmmmm? Aren't those just JFET's in a can anyway?

Ever tried anything by effectrode?

Have the bottle rocket and mercury fuzz and love both. Especially the firebottle. Want to get the tube buffer someday.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Right?
AMT has some really great stuff. I feel like they will be the one's to make solid state more mainstream.

*looks over at Randall* I don't follow.

Bearitone

Reaction score
*looks over at Randall* I don't follow.

Preference I guess. Every solid state randall I've hearrd sounds too harsh and Dimebag-ish; something that not everyone is going to want to pickup up. AMT on the other hand is making SS amps that sound damn close to tube amps; the stuff that most players would reach for.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Randall's a bigger brand. MUCH bigger brand. More market presence, more artists, and they had/have some of the most well-known metal guitarist (Dimebag, Kirk Hammett) using them. A relatively unknown Russian brand ain't going to bring solid state amps into the spotlight, no matter how good or "accurate" they sound.

An amp doesn't have to sound good to be mainstream (See: Line 6 Spider series, Marshall MG.)

Bearitone

Reaction score
Randall's a bigger brand. MUCH bigger brand. More market presence, more artists, and they had/have some of the most well-known metal guitarist (Dimebag, Kirk Hammett) using them. A relatively unknown Russian brand ain't going to bring solid state amps into the spotlight, no matter how good or "accurate" they sound.

An amp doesn't have to sound good to be mainstream (See: Line 6 Spider series, Marshall MG.)

What do you think of AMT's potential to win over typical tube amp buyer's compared to Randall?

To me it seems Randall continues to put out SS amps with the same iconic SS sound that tube guys cringe and run away from, while AMT is putting out SS amps that sound far closer to tube amps.

If people have the option of getting a tube sound without the maintenance or quirks of tubes, don't you think they would pick that option?