An Ohm Question?

• Thread starter BuscemI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BuscemI

Ibanez RGT42FX(EMG)
Reaction score
I am currently running a Peavey 6505+ 120w head into a Marshall 1960A Cab. I usually put the ohm setting on my head on 8 and I use the 16 ohm setting on my cab. I plan on running an additional 2x12 cab with Celestion G12T-75s (ordering later today :hbang:) through my head also.
My question; Should I order the 16 or 8 ohm speakers? Also, what should the ohm settings on the amp and cab be to obtain the best sound using this setup?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
You should currently be using them on the same setting. 16-16 or 8-8 etc. I don't know how multiple cabs works, though!

Derek Ageless

Reaction score
If you're currently running 1 Marshall cab at 16 ohms, then you should be running your head at 16 ohms as well.

If you want to add an additional cab, I'd highly suggest getting another 16 ohm cab. If you want to run two 16 ohm cabs at the same time set your head to 8 ohms.

If you do a google search, or even a search on this forum you can find a more in depth explanation of proper ohm settings/theory.

BuscemI

Ibanez RGT42FX(EMG)
Reaction score
If you're currently running 1 Marshall cab at 16 ohms, then you should be running your head at 16 ohms as well.

If you want to add an additional cab, I'd highly suggest getting another 16 ohm cab. If you want to run two 16 ohm cabs at the same time set your head to 8 ohms.

If you do a google search, or even a search on this forum you can find a more in depth explanation of proper ohm settings/theory.

Thanks, this solves it.

groph

Reaction score

Yeah, bear in mind he's talking about a 16 ohm cab, not necessarily 16 ohm speakers. Maybe he is, I don't know dick about ohms. But my point is, the total "ohmage" must be 16, like your 1960A. I would assume if this 2x12 cab had 2 16 ohm speakers in it, the load would be 8 ohms.

With tube amps it's important to always match the ohms on your head to the ohms of your cab. Apparently with a solid state head you can do it differently, for example you could run a 4 ohm head into an 8 ohm cab (but not the other way around) and have no problem.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Impedance mismatches are ok on tube amps as well, depending on what amp you're using. Mesa says it's ok to mismatch their heads with a cab with one degree higher impedance (example: 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm jack of the head). I haven't heard anything about peaveys being touchy with impedance.

Yes, you'll want another 16 ohm cab, and plug thme both up to your head with the head being set to 8 ohms

Luafcm

Reaction score
Impedance mismatches are ok on tube amps as well, depending on what amp you're using. Mesa says it's ok to mismatch their heads with a cab with one degree higher impedance (example: 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm jack of the head). I haven't heard anything about peaveys being touchy with impedance.

Yes, you'll want another 16 ohm cab, and plug thme both up to your head with the head being set to 8 ohms
The rule of thumb is tube amps can take a higher impedance, and solid state can take a lower impedance.

The real rule is match your impedances. :yesway:

BuscemI

Ibanez RGT42FX(EMG)
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is tube amps can take a higher impedance, and solid state can take a lower impedance.

The real rule is match your impedances. :yesway:

McFaul! So your here too..

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll post more when the speakers actually get here.

')