An reasonable electronic drum kit

• Thread starter tomcat ha
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
I've been looking a lot into electronic kits lately, and my take will be to find:
a used interface/drumcomputer
a used double bass pedal
a hi-hat with mechanically activated double dishes, as I cannot possibly imagine how to play the tab-tab-lift-tab stuff on a single dish
research which various pads should be solid rubber or suspension types or build like a semi-acoustic with sensors.

I'm pretty sure the snare for me should resemble a real drum (i.e. being semi-acoustic), and some of the larger toms should be the semi-suspension types, as those seem to mimic real toms better.

I have no idea yet about which flapping rubber cymbals to go for.. seeing how drummers plays real cymbals hard, soft, hitting the outer perimeter, taps them closer to center et al.. makes me wonder how on earth to get anything sufficiently real out of those rubber dishes ;)

I'm new to drums, having played air-drums for years, hehe, and will start rehearsing on a big pillow, to work up the correct relaxed hand wrist action and grips. Many pro drummers recommends this for learning not to depend too much on the rebound.
Meanwhile, I'll start looking out for the parts, at used and demo prices..

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CatEye

Reaction score
Awesome things are not cheap friend. You have to pay a little more to own them.

tomcat ha

Reaction score
so a uncle of mine actually has a td6 he is willing to let go for cheap.
seems like a better options considering i just can replace this td6 part for part

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
which module is it the blue or black version? If its blue you will not be happy with the sounds just my thoughts from the t6 I used to rehearse with the black version has better sounds

tomcat ha

Reaction score
i don't know, i will be visiting him next weekend.
Besides does it really matter if the kit is only 150?
I can get a better drum module soon enough instead.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
i dont want to make a profit off my uncle

Nah, I wasn't meaning it like sell the kit so you can treat your girl to a nice night out. If he sold you the kit and you didn't like it you could always sell it on EBay piece by piece and then use the money toward a kit you actually would want to use since you'd mentioned you probably wouldn't like the feel of rubber pads. But then you'd have to fork up some extra cash to get better triggers and the Roland mesh pads are SUPER expensive! The Alesis ones are a lot cheaper and use real drum heads but are dulled with padding underneath. The Alesis pads are also way louder than rubber or mesh pads.

Rev.

tomcat ha

Reaction score
so months and months later i finally got it working in full swing. My uncle was really busy so he couldnt bring it over and at first i had a sudden case of dried up money!

but now:
IMG_20131128_181050.jpg

the pads all work fine, i had to get a kd-9 kick drum pad separately and i also got an tama iron cobra double bass pedal. (i have been using double bass with drumming since i first started at some random place about 2 years ago.)

Bretton

Reaction score
DRUM! magazine's latest issue has an article on 7 electric kits for under $500, see if you can find the magazine somewhere, has the kings of leon drummer on the cover blowing bubblegum

mrnova

Reaction score
I played the Yamaha 550k for a year and own the 522k now for recording and jamming... (I have a quick demo up on youtube under the same user name) I have expanded it with 2 extra pads, I also have a double kick...Imy buddy who plays Roland, actually sold me two Roland pads that I use now with the Yamaha...both brands are good, and from what he tells me you can expand the Roland kits...the 522k can be expanded by a 4 pads btw...just avoid the 400-450 series by Yamaha, I don't believe they are expandable... hope this helps

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I have the dtx532k and it works well for me. It took some tinkering to get it working with SD w/o crosstalk on certain pads but it works well.

')