...And Mike Sherman is the Man + More Hate For Lee

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
Mike Sherman escaped from Lee's basement long enough to give me a call personally today. After talking for almost an hour about everything but guitars, I told him what I wanted and he gave me an unbelievable price. He also seemed thrilled I didn't want an RG shape (yeah, he named you Letchford:cool: ). So along with the 196 guitars he's currently building for Lee, and the other 4 for customers here, I added my name to the list. For that price for his work and the fact that he's such a nice guy (not like I was expecting to be wooed by luthiers for my one build, but he just calls me up- who does that?:spock:), that sealed the deal on deciding who to give my hard-earned $ to for the guitar I'll play the rest of my life (or until we rob Lee:evil:) Mike was actually telling me what Lee is getting (so I'm on to you eelback), but Lee returned home, and Mike said "I have to get back to work- I'm not supposed to be upstairs". Lefty Sherman 8 string pics to come in the future...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Cool. So are you going to keep the specs a secret, or can we have a preview of coming attractions?

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Dammit, my sekrits revealed! Thank goodness not another RG. Ironically, I only ordered one RG out of the whole herd, the rest just kinda fell into my shopping cart. :yesway:

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
It will be a lefty 8 string based on Mike's "Sirius" body style and fretboard that tapers at the end, but with sharper horns like those on another guitar he's building. Flame Maple top on mahogany with a royal blue/forest green burst and ebony fretboard on a warm tone wood neck, maybe rosewood. 1 custom Lundgren PUP, 1 master volume knob. Other particular details will be decided when Mike gets me a mock-up sketch and I have the rest of the $ for the deposit for him to start. Needless to say, I'll be brown-baggin" the lunches unless Lee starts up his "Shermans for Normal Shmucks" financial aid endowment :hbang:

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
That's the thing about Mike - he's so super busy, but when he's on the phone with you he's there, and attentive. Never feel rushed off, or that I'm keeping him from something. Wish more people were like that :metal:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Mike only feels rushed when Lee places another order/has a gun to his head and demands he get back to work. :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I see in Lee's profile a Sherman 9. A 9???!!! I can't find the NGD for that - anyone have the link?

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Lee is like God, he controls everything and gets what he wants. :lol:

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this beastie as it comes about, Shawn. Do you know what scale length(s) you're going to use? You going to include a tremelo or go with a hard tail or trapeze for those ball-ends?

Thanks a bunch for sharing!

keeper006

SWEET BERRY WINE!
Reaction score
It'll have the Hipshot style fixed Bridge Mike uses. I have a Floyd on my Buckethead-style LP for when I want to play with my wang-bar :cool: and I'll be changing tunings a lot going from metal to jazz playing, so Mike said we'll discuss scale when he starts it. For anyone not familiar with the Sirius model here are some pics, but he's modifying it for mine, so picture this guitar with a dark blue/green burst, but with horns like the ones on the guitar in the last pic. :agreed:

Attachments

• m_c3662dbee07f44d821c3a3325298c510.jpg
    m_c3662dbee07f44d821c3a3325298c510.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 34
  • m_33e48cdf76577ab92c0a41d22524ce45.jpg
    m_33e48cdf76577ab92c0a41d22524ce45.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 48
  • m_ee8b18996d234363dbe16fd7d152392c.jpg
    m_ee8b18996d234363dbe16fd7d152392c.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Jun-5.jpg
    Jun-5.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 74

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
It'll have the Hipshot style fixed Bridge Mike uses. I have a Floyd on my Buckethead-style LP for when I want to play with my wang-bar :cool: and I'll be changing tunings a lot going from metal to jazz playing, so Mike said we'll discuss scale when he starts it. For anyone not familiar with the Sirius model here are some pics, but he's modifying it for mine, so picture this guitar with a dark blue/green burst, but with horns like the ones on the guitar in the last pic. :agreed:

Excellent choice. :yesway:

eelblack2

Fewel
Contributor
Reaction score
Even the threads that have to do with Shermans somehow wind up in the possession of Lee! :realmad:

Doh, sorry for the derail. Let's give Keeper his due Sherman glory in this build thread, and I'll post my foolishness in the WUWU Lee thread.

Cool, thanks! Are you putting a high A on there? And what will be the scale? (Sorry, I'm not known for my patience regarding NGDs!)

Keeping it brief, Low F# to high A, fanned to accomodate both.

')