And you guys wasted all that money on those big fancy amps......

• Thread starter flexkill
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Ola could run his guitar into a 1920's radio and still sound metal :lol:

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
I'm actually waiting for all of the "It all sounds the same to me" shit. If you can't hear the difference between this and the other vids he's done......you have no ears....take up coloring. :lol:

Underworld

Reaction score
Is he wearing leather pants o_O

Seriously I don't understand how he gets these killer tones with all these amps!

cjbrents

Reaction score
First off, Ola is fucking awesome!

Secondly, we don't all buy these small practice amps because not all of us want to mic our amps to rehearse with our bands.

I read in Guitar World, or Guitar Player, about nine months ago that Dave Grohl, from the Foo Fighters, had recorded some of the guitar tracks for one of his albums using a Marshall Mini amp. You know, the one that you can clip onto your belt and go anywhere while you play....

Small amps can really rock, you just need to mic them up!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
The clip has no post-processing and does show the importance of the player and knowing your shit pertaining mic'ing as far as getting a proper tone in the mix goes. Is it fantastic tone? Nope, and that's not the point - if you know what you're doing you can make it sound quite decent in a mix.

Also we don't get these practice amps because they are utter shit for anything pertaining practice and the odd studio occasion. Dave Grohl used the MS2 because it sounds like shit and he wanted to use that. K0rn used smarties hopping on a speaker inside a drawer and mic'd that up at one time when recording - that doesn't mean that we don't use that because it needs to be mic'd up... :lol:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
A bad amp in a good mix will still sound like a good mix. The guitars here certainly don't sound that appealing but you can easily overlook that with killer production as seen here.

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
yeah that's pretty much how i took it. play clean and accurate, take care of your mix, and practice proper studio techniques.

makes you wonder how this would have sounded with slightly better combo amps. spider IV? 112 spidervalve? crate? etc.

shellbound

Reaction score
reading the YT comments, it's obvious there's some kind of a back story to this. possibly a discussion that took place on some forum. does anyone happen to have a link to that?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, Ola's playing and a good mix has the most to do with the quality in the video. HOWEVER, the slides were surprisingly articulate.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, who needs that new Satan amp of his? :lol:

quattro19tdi

Subcontrainfrasound
Reaction score
reading the YT comments, it's obvious there's some kind of a back story to this. possibly a discussion that took place on some forum. does anyone happen to have a link to that?
On his website he writes: ''So someone made a bet in the Youtube comments of another video that If I could make a Marshall MG15 sound good they would buy my album. UP TO THE TEST OF COURSE!''

But I don't know which video the bet came from..

')