Andy Timmons' "Resolution" tone attempt with the Axe-FX (preset included)

• Thread starter -Nolly-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Hi dudes,

The tones on Andy Timmon's CD Resolution are some of the best that have graced my ears, and I ever since getting the Axe-FX I've been meaning to give a proper shot at nailing it (I tried soon after getting the Axe and it got positive feedback but in retrospect it was a long way off). Anyway, without further ado, hear is me hacking a couple of sections from two tracks from Resolution. Go easy on me - it's been a long while since I last tried playing these tunes and these are just quick one-takers done without a click:

Andy Timmons' Resolution tone-test by Nolly on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

The guitar is my Blackmachine B2 with a pair of Bare Knuckle Mule pickups. I've got the tone rolled back a touch, and for The Prayer/The Answer I rolled back to volume knob to begin with, then gradually opened it up to about 9.

As promised, here's the patch:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/Nolly's Timmons tone#1.syx

There's 0 post-processing on the clip at all. The tone isn't absolutely 100% spot on, but it's close enough for now :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm absolutely going to play around with this patch. Sounds really good. :yesway:

carbon

Reaction score
Just loaded it up, sounded great once I got my input/output down to where it isn't clipping on me anymore, switched from a really quiet clean patch to it and made my ears cry :lol:. I've never heard of the guy before but I pulled up The Prayer/The Answer on youtube and found a tab and even with my terrible playing managed to get it sounding right on. What are your instrument input and the output set at on your axe-fx?

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Cheers dudes!
Carbon, odd that you found it to clip so badly, what firmware are you on? I run my input at around 12 o'clock, but I tweak it to suit the output of the pickups I'm using so it changes slightly from guitar to guitar. The output knob doesn't make the signal clip within the axe-fx, but may clip the front end of your interface if you've got the interface pre-gain set too high.

Reaction score
nolly! you nailed it man. this sounds amazing. I will be tweaking this patch a bit and using it on my album - hope that's cool with you!

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Wow this sounds sweet,
and thanks for the preset as well!
:D

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Thanks and no worries dudes!
Grant - sure, feel free, though if it's a big part of the sound it'd be nice to get some credit :)

Reaction score
Thanks and no worries dudes!
Grant - sure, feel free, though if it's a big part of the sound it'd be nice to get some credit :)

thanks man! we will see how much I use it but I already see like 2-5 major solos being done with it as this was the tone I had in my head for them, with some minor tweakage. and of COURSE I would give you credit dude!

Overtone

Reaction score
Sounds beautiful! I wish I had an Axe-FX to mess with this but I can't complain since I've got the stiletto (not that he used it on Resolution). You nailed it 99.9%... I feel like yours has just a TAD more headroom in the midrange, but I'm going off of memory.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Lol I should have noticed this earlier, I'm using a guitar loaded with painkillers right now.

Aye yeah, Painkillers could actually work quite well once you roll off the tone a bit. Lemme know how you get on!

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
Thats damn near perfect Nollz, Thats awesome man. Thanks for the preset too! You just pissed gold once again good sir. You'd think that might burn alittle after a while.....

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Great job on this Nolly. Andy Timmons would have to have some of my ultimate favourite crunch and lead tone ever.

The lead stuff sounds superb mate. Great job, when my axe comes in I'll definitely give this patch a go :yesway:

Ulvhedin

Phrygianist
Reaction score
Necrobumping, I know. Thanks for making my day easier, Nolly! Been tweaking for a result like this :)

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe a tad too much gain compared to Timmons but it's very close. Regardless it's still a great tone.

')