Angled Horizontal 2x12?

• Thread starter JosephEMG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
Hey guys, anybody have an angled horizontal 2x12? I found some interesting results in the web, but not so many results. Many people choose to put their cab/amp on a stand. But I don't like it that much because you loose that "oomph" on the low end. I saw a couple of 2x12 angled cabs by Lopoline/Mojotone, but the angle is too much I think. The idea is to have a 2x12 custom build using these ones as a template. These are some of the results I found, I like the angle on these ones:

Picture049.jpg

Picture052-1.jpg

Any mathematicians that can crack the angle on this cab? I'm really liking the angle on this one.
AmpegRig-025.jpg

There are not many pics of this Crate cab on the web, dunno how it looks from the side.
crate_gt212s_cab_cover.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
The CRATE cab is a P.O.S. but the stock celestion 70/80 speakers really aren't that bad at all. It's open-back though, so probably won't turn many on.

As far as the angle goes it of course depends on where you're going to be standing most of the time.
I like the angle on that Ampeg cab. Just right for being anywhere from close to far.

Avatar makes ported 212 stage monitors that are angled steep for being right on top of them or only a few yards back, but they don't have enough top to place the amp-head.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
My build was slanted and horizontal.

Make sure you oversize the cab as the slant functionally reduces the internal volume.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
i figured the angle to be at or close to 30 degrees. If you are wanting a custom built, calculate for an internal volume of between 2.75-3.1 cubic feet, depending on speaker model for enhanced low end. Designing an off-axis 2-12 will make the final cab sound bigger than a typical 2-12, so something else to look into and consider.

Ampeg cabs in my experience have some good speakers (SLM made by Eminence) but are made of fairly low quality wood. That being said, they sound alright but lack touring durability.

JosephEMG

Guitarrus
Reaction score
i figured the angle to be at or close to 30 degrees. If you are wanting a custom built, calculate for an internal volume of between 2.75-3.1 cubic feet, depending on speaker model for enhanced low end. Designing an off-axis 2-12 will make the final cab sound bigger than a typical 2-12, so something else to look into and consider.

Ampeg cabs in my experience have some good speakers (SLM made by Eminence) but are made of fairly low quality wood. That being said, they sound alright but lack touring durability.

Hmm, all I know is that my amp head is 25.75" L x 10.75" H x 9.50" D (yep, googled it). I want it to fit just fine with 0.50" give or take on the sides and back. So basically the cabinet will be 27" L . How do i get this "2.75-3.1 cubic feet" that you're referring to? How do I calculate it with the slant?

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Its just a little geometry.

The front, slanted portion of the cab is a triangle shape from the side right. To calculate the volume of that just isolate the depth of the slanted area and multiply by the internal height of the cabinet, then divide by two. That gives you one dimension, then multiply be the width of the box, and that will give you the volume of the slanted area. You can then just add that to the unslanted rectangular portion of the cabinet.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
You should see the formula for tuning bass reflex ports. :scream:

Lv=[23562.5*Dv^2*Np/(Fb^2*Vb)]-(k*Dv)

where DV=Port diameter in cm, Fb=desired frequency of the port, Vb=volume of the box in litres, Lv= length of each port, Np=number of ports, and k is a constant based on whether neither, one or both of the ends of the port are flanged (0.614, 0.732, or 0.85 respectively)

LSS, there's a LOT of math that goes into cab design. The volume i suggested is based on the typical guitar speaker cone surface area factoring a subharmonic (half wave) frequency of a typical guitar range.

Latest posts

')