Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

wankerness

Reaction score
Man, that lippincott song was incredible. Not so keen on the officially released one but I now have really high hopes for this album. Tooth and Claw at least demonstrated that the guitar tone is back to sounding massive and super-clear, unlike the second album which was kind of fuzzy and indistinct on all the low stuff.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
If I'd heard Tooth and Nail and not been told it was Animals as Leaders I'd have hated it, and I do hate it. It really doesn't sound like them at all and the song is pretty boring as a whole. WoooOOOOoooo breakdowns.... No.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
Ever listened to Telos, Selkies, or Autodidact?

To be fair, I think I see what SD83 is getting at. I love me a bit of BTBAM, e.g. Mordecai, Parallax I, Selkies, Foam Born A. But at least 50% if not more of the time BTBAM kind of devolves into uninteresting riffs that rely on some combination of:

A) Excessive and tasteless chromaticism
B) Generic metalcore riffs that cover no new harmonic ground
C) Screamed (viz. pitch-free) vocals

Oh yeah, and weird time signatures. Otherwise it wouldn't be progressive, right?

That said, BTBAM has some SERIOUS talent. They just rarely display it... unless you count Trioscapes. :shrug:

On topic: The two song names so far are interesting... Tooth and Claw makes a lot of sense considering it's Animals as Leaders, but Lippincott doesn't seem like it would fit a theme (even if it is a reference to Tom Lippincott).

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Viridian arguably remains my favorite BTBAM song :lol:

My gripe with AAL's music tends to be structural - the melody and harmony are interesting enough, but sometimes the writing leaves the structure a little too exposed and "blocky" feeling, for lack of a better way to phrase it. This is exacerbated by the way he tends to shift between techniques/styles at the same time. It's not a full-on riff salad, but it has a bit of that flavor to my ear sometimes even though he's really got a lot more happening than that would imply.

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score
BTBAM are amazeballs go listen to white walls, however don't know why where talking about them here when theres a mega thread for them.. :wavey:

EDIT: Should probably add some AAL talk..

Tooth in claw is a bit meh atm, didn't sem to explore the motifs brought up through out the song enough and KIND OF relied on a djenty riff to carry the song

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing more and reserving judgement for now. It sort of sounded how I expected to which sounds like a really silly thing to say (and isn't a bad thing) about a record but I just mean compared to some people who were like 'WOAH NEW DIRECTION'.

The VoM reference a few pages back made me lol too, I thought that haha.

New track!

Keep that garbage out of here

;)

avinu

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude honestly. But I'm wondering where you're basing the reasoning behind "It doesn't sound like Animals As Leaders". I mean I understand that it sounds more.. raw or whatever but dude this is the same band playing. I think it's counter productive to say a band doesn't sound like you think they should sound. Think about it. I know AAL has a distinctive sound but they most certainly shouldn't be boxed in creatively by preconceived notions on what their material should sound like. This is their band and they're gonna play what they write so essentially it does sound like AAL. Again not trying to offend. Just my perspective on it.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^Think you read a little far into what he said there :lol:

jmeezle

Reaction score
It doesn't even sound like Animals As Leaders for the first 2 minutes. It just sounds like an Axe FX-II tone test :(

I love it that a "tone test" is being compared to an accomplished bands' music. The kids on here never cease to amaze me. FEEDBACK ON MY PERIPHERY TONE TEST AND DJENT MIX PLZ!

Laughable.

Apatheosis

Reaction score
I love it that a "tone test" is being compared to an accomplished bands' music. The kids on here never cease to amaze me. FEEDBACK ON MY PERIPHERY TONE TEST AND DJENT MIX PLZ!

Laughable.

Chill guys, the joke is that the first half of the song is a bunch of djent riffs and breakdowns.

avinu

Reaction score
^Think you read a little far into what he said there :lol:

Yeah probably lol. Sorry, I was trying to get all deep and stuff.

Chill guys, the joke is that the first half of the song is a bunch of djent riffs and breakdowns.

I'll try and be more djentle next time bro.
>.>

KingTriton

Reaction score
I really liked the first song they released! Tooth and Claw is the first song ever by AAL that i was genuinly completely WTF about, didnt like it at all :(. Im waiting patiently for the album though as im sure they will deliver one hell of a 3d release!

')