Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Are people seriously this thick? For ....s sake, since when do all of Sumerian's bands play shit like this? :rolleyes:

This sounds exactly like something that would have been on the first album, how are some of you saying this doesn't sound like Animals As Leaders? Have any of you even listened to the first album in it's entirety? It has so much variation, how can you even pinpoint their sound at all?

Weightless had a resounding theme and feeling throughout the album, and that's the most this band has ever had. Without any prior knowhow, If you listened to Modern Meat, then CAFO directly afterwards. How many of you would even consider it the same band?

Equating this to the garbage that is I See Stars, Capture The Crown, Make Me Famous. Which is to me the definition of generic content on that label, is ....ing hilarious. This is miles better than that crap.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Stopped reading right there lol...

:lol: Considering you think this whole song is consisted of breakdowns, don't worry I really couldn't be bothered by your opinion anyways.

It has all the elements that many other songs on the first album have, if you don't think so then you probably didn't even listen to more than 1 minute of this song.

thearistocat

Reaction score
So I enjoyed Tooth & Claw more the second time I listened to it. Lippincott was an instant like, so chill :)

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
:lol: Considering you think this whole song is consisted of breakdowns, don't worry I really couldn't be bothered by your opinion anyways.

It has all the elements that many other songs on the first album have, if you don't think so then you probably didn't even listen to more than 1 minute of this song.

I never said the whole song was breakdowns anywhere in what I said. And nope, you shouldn't be bothered by my opinion, but you take the time to argue your point against mine so I mean...:wavey:

This song is literally a joke. It is pretty much the epitome of a band who has seen some recognition with the djent kids because that's been the new mall-core of the last few years. It's a dull, and stereotypical genre, just the same way Tooth and Nail is as a song, but I guess not all of us realize that a flavor of the moment eventually becomes just that.

Go ahead, convince yourself you'll care about this stuff 5 or so years from now, just the way people like yourself were so convinced metalcore bands like As I Lay Dying were going to last forever.

Animals as Leaders are some great musicians, but even Tosin has gotten really arrogant in the last few years since the release of Weightless and maybe he needs to realize that because he's a great player doesn't mean he's going to just escape criticism when he goes off and does something completely different than what he has put out previously. They're really setting themselves up for a lot of criticism when they completely change sounds. There isn't one song on the S/T that sounds even remotely similar to Tooth and Nail. There are heavy songs, but they don't sound like a skipping Veil of Maya track like this does.

But then there are always the people like you who will defend him until he's/they aren't relevant anymore.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Dear ....ing God, people. How is this song any different from Tempting Time or To Lead You To An Overwhelming Question? Better production =/= generic.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of jimmies had suddenly been rustled. I fear something terrible has happened.

I hope the rest of the CD finds a nice happy medium between this djent fest and Lippincott. More Lippincott than Tooth and Claw.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Well first off, I'm not a die hard AAL fan I've seen them live twice now and really enjoyed the show. I just think what you're saying is absurd and you seem to be critiquing them as if they sold out or something. You're literally judging Animals As Leaders, AND even Tosin on a personal level based off of one song that's been released so far that you may not even enjoy.

I don't see where you're getting this arrogance vibe from the guy either, I met him twice and he was really pleasant to talk to. Same vibe with the rest of the band, including Navene at the time. I mean unless you know him on a personal level and you're speaking for the rest of his band mates, I think you're really just talking out of your ass. Not only that but you keep referring to him when talking about AAL as a whole, Tosin/Matt/Javier are all songwriters for the band, and for a few songs here Misha, and I'm sure even Nolly had some kind of creative input. All I see is you targeting Tosin as if he's the direct cause of, in your words "the epitome of a band who has seen some recognition with the djent kids because that's been the new mall-core of the last few years."

Now if we were talking about a band like Born of Osiris, I'd have to agree with you. However we're not, we're talking about a single song which already sounds completely different to another song off of the same record, "Lippincott". I think you're overreacting and judging a record harshly for something you have not even a single notion of what the end product will sound like. I don't have to convince myself of anything because no one knows about the future, who knows what will happen to Animals As Leaders? I can't say and neither can you, so why worry if they'll be gone in 5 years or not? Just enjoy the music if you can bring yourself to, and if not just listen to something else :lol:

Also considering As I Lay Dying went on for well past a decade, and is still highly regarded as one of the best in that genre, I fail to see the comparison. Nothing lasts forever, but you won't know if something was the flavor of the month or just a fad until they actually die out.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, personal musical taste discredits your entire argument unless you agree with the person on the other end. :rolleyes:

If you really don't have any response to an argument, I guess that's one way to go about validating yourself :rofl:

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Oh I forgot, personal musical taste discredits your entire argument unless you agree with the person on the other end. :rolleyes:

The irony here, I don't think you see it.:idea:

"Progressive" Metal. dictionary.com is free to use brother.

Progressive metal has been around long before this strain of aids you guys call "djent", even existed. :cool:

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score
Everyone crying and moaning and i'm just here enjoying the finer things like this tune.

tumblr_n1bcsnFFkl1svp4pvo1_250.gif

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Uh-oh, the inevitable age-argument on the internet, because that's a great verification as to whose intelligent now days ;)

"My daddy is tougher than your daddy"
"I'm smarter because my age"
"I bet I can pee further than you"
"Children, they'll never be able to truly appreciate the art that is open-note chugging"

...and? Djent is prog metal but not all prog metal is djent.

Your point? It's trash either way, so

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I just find it hilarious that you avoid every point I've made, you have no sensible argument anyways.

You just sound like an upset fanboy because someone didn't have the time to sign your merch or didn't notice you at a show. And now you're using some made up notion that he's gotten arrogant recently to vent your frustration with their musical output, and you validate that by telling yourself that it's said member's fault for all of this.

Whine more dude, or just spend some time on the Youtube Comments section. I'm sure you'll find some people there who will agree with you :lol:

')