Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
the art that is open-note chugging

It discredits it in that it's not that^ Not even close. I understand this is all subjective, but there's a certain extent to where something is overdone, and bands like Veil of Maya and even Periphery have definitely managed to take something that might be a credible playing style in one way and use it to an extent that it's just obnoxious. But of course, they're not to blame... There's always that thing called Meshuggah too...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MemphisHawk

Reaction score
Well, what would you consider the best example of prog metal in your eyes?

The best example of djent? That way we have an idea where you are coming from.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
It discredits it in that it's not that^ Not even close. I understand this is all subjective, but there's a certain extent to where something is overdone, and bands like Veil of Maya and even Periphery have definitely managed to take something that might be a credible playing style in one way and use it to an extent that it's just obnoxious. But of course, they're not to blame... There's always that thing called Meshuggah too...
Periphery are getting less and less djenty and are moving towards a more traditional prog metal sound with every release, but whatever helps you sleep at night. :agreed:

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score
Should start getting on topic with AAL now rather than "What's considered prog/not prog your opinion hurts my feels." :ban:

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I just find it hilarious that you avoid every point I've made, you have no sensible argument anyways.

You just sound like an upset fanboy because someone didn't have the time to sign your merch or didn't notice you at a show. And now you're using some made up notion that he's gotten arrogant recently to vent your frustration with their musical output, and you validate that by telling yourself that it's said member's fault for all of this.

Whine more dude, or just spend some time on the Youtube Comments section. I'm sure you'll find some people there who will agree with you :lol:

Because the points you've "made" are literally too ignorant for me to even begin to reply to so I'd rather just be subtle than blatantly call you a moron.

You can see how smug and arrogant Tosin is in nearly every video interview he's ever done, and that really doesn't matter much to me, but that personality is reflected in his music. Everyone knows that 90% of the AAL material is wrote by him. If this is news to you then you learn something new every day I guess.:rolleyes: No one is whining. Do you think that I really care about what this band or any other in the same vein does? Nope. I just think it's sad how blinded by fanboy-love some of you are. It's ridiculous. It's like this band can do no wrong in your eyes. If anything, I gave my opinion, you let your inner teen/As I Lay Dying-fan angst get to you and felt compelled to defend your "sacred-djent".

Animals as Followers

Before that becomes an album title, I said it here first.

Well, what would you consider the best example of prog metal in your eyes?

The best example of djent? That way we have an idea where you are coming from.

Prog, to me, is bands like Cynic and Exivious, or Blotted Science.

Djent, to me, consists of bands like Mesuggah, VoM, AAL to an extent (prior to now), and maybe Born of Osiris.

Periphery are getting less and less djenty and are moving towards a more traditional prog metal sound with every release, but whatever helps you sleep at night. :agreed:

That's true, but even so I still can't stand them. The singing drives me insane, the song structures are just generally boring to me, and I really can't for the life of me understand why the band even needs 3 guitar players.

Misha is a great musician also, but it doesn't mean I like his work.

ScottyB724

Reaction score
2e0mmx2.jpg

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
So much animosity in here! I think everyone should play nice...the album's out in almost a month!

avinu

Reaction score
You can see how smug and arrogant Tosin is in nearly every video interview he's ever done
WAT? A while back at a show right after they released their s/t Tosin let me play his super expensive one of a kind JHLuthier custom. This was right after he saw me walk out of the bathroom. I washed my hands but he didn't know that..:lol: After, he was showing me and a few dudes some of his live gear and explaining (quite extensively) how his live setup is etc. All the while just chit chatting about music stuff. That does not sound smug to me. The dude is ultra grounded and as far as I could tell pretty effing cool.

Also I think you're confusing a positive sense of accomplishment and arrogance. I mean how would you feel if you were in a respected/relatively famous prog band? You would feel like you've accomplished some sweetness and it would feel damn good. :cool:

big_aug

Reaction score
WAT? A while back at a show right after they released their s/t Tosin let me play his super expensive one of a kind JHLuthier custom. This was right after he saw me walk out of the bathroom. I washed my hands but he didn't know that..:lol: All the while he was showing a few dudes some of his live gear and explaining (quit extensively) how his live setup is etc. That does not sound smug to me. The dude is ultra grounded and as far as I could tell pretty effing cool.

Also I think you're confusing a positive sense of accomplishment and arrogance. I mean how would you feel if you were in a respected/relatively famous prog band? You would feel like you've accomplished some sweetness and it would feel damn good. :cool:

I went to a guitar clinic at a New York city guitar shop with Tosin, and he was pretty damn cool. It was a very small place so it was kind of an intimate setting. Maybe 30-40 people max. He answered all questions and put on a great performance. He seemed cool to me.

Skyblue

Reaction score
New song- pretty meh IMO. Sounds a lot like another random Djent band, honestly...
The teaser, though, sounds cool. I'll wait and see I guess.

WildBroskiAppears

Reaction score
Maybe I'm alone on this boat but I've enjoyed everything I've heard of The Joy Of Motion. Lippincott was instantly recognizable AAL and very enjoyable, albeit dark. Tooth and Claw is also very AAL, just heavier than their average. Similar to Inamorata in that sense. But...that album teaser...I'm so excited to hear whatever song that is. It feels like floating through the sky for the 20 seconds they released of it.

')