Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I normally avoid djent threads like the plague, just wanted to say I really enjoyed Lippincott

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thearistocat

Reaction score
I want a physical cd for this and I'd love to preorder this but I'd also like to receive it sometime before summer so I guess I'll have to go through best buy or something. Merch connection needs to get their shit together. How hard can it be to send out preorders, it's almost like they're just plain lazy about it? My intervals cd is already on it's way to me and it doesn't come out til next week.

Check out amazon, my preorder is supposed to get to me 5-8 days after release and it's the cheapest shipping (free). I'd also guess that there will be a free mp3 download with purchase of the CD, if you don't want to wait to hear it.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I'm just not digging this new stuff. Maybe it's just the overall instrumental aspect becoming tiresome...I dunno. They're stellar musicians, so I'm sure that I'll check out the record at some point, but based on the 2 officially released songs, I'm not in any hurry.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
The new stuff, I like it, but I may find it to be a bit too jittery...even for AAL standards. Musical progression ≠ more notes ...in my book at least.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
The new stuff, I like it, but I may find it to be a bit too jittery...even for AAL standards. Musical progression ≠ more notes ...in my book at least.

I've tried to stay out of the debate from that last few pages about whether or not the new stuff is good, since that's purely a matter of opinion, but...

I think these new tracks set the record for fewest amount of notes played in an AAL song, especially Tooth and Claw. It seems evident to me that the structure of the songs and how they fit as a whole were a lot more important than the epic shredz from the S/T.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I've tried to stay out of the debate from that last few pages about whether or not the new stuff is good, since that's purely a matter of opinion, but...

I think these new tracks set the record for fewest amount of notes played in an AAL song, especially Tooth and Claw. It seems evident to me that the structure of the songs and how they fit as a whole were a lot more important than the epic shredz from the S/T.

I think my statement was a bit too roughly formulated I think. It's not the amount of notes in an entire song, but it's just these short sections, which sound a bit too spastic and nervous to me. A bit like, the hardest riffs sound difficult to play, but not particularly pleasing to the ear.

Merge

Reaction score
They did 4 new ones last night, though the titles escape me right now. I bought a VIP bundle for the Baltimore show. They did 2 of the new songs at soundcheck, one being "Physical Education". We all walked in in the middle of the first song, and I'm not sure what song they were playing. After soundcheck, there was a short Q/A session. Tosin and Javier sat on the front of the stage, and answered all of the questions that were asked. Tosin was cool with everyone trying out his guitar. I talked pickups with him for a few minutes, he also discussed his rig and the PA setup. There was also a meet and greet, where they signed autographs and answered questions. I asked Tosin if he has any plans for a tab book, he said "maybe for the new album. It's the only one I feel confident that I could get all of the notes that are played". He also said he'd like to do an instructional DVD, and maybe do some online lessons. Overall, it was a good time, both Tosin and Javier were super nice and very accommodating, and the show was great.

OzoneJunkie

Reaction score
They did 4 new ones last night, though the titles escape me right now.

Thanks, appreciate the answer. I'm going to go. I've seen AAL a bunch of times now, but it's been a few months, heh :)

Yeah, I've only met Tosin (we discussed Strandberg guitars before I got mine) - super cool guy - friendly.

Thanks again.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah I am just tried of the genre....maybe when this releases I will be ready again.

Been doing a lot of funk and RnB drumming

Apatheosis

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone else could help shed some light upon how Tosin names his songs and what many of the titles mean or reference

I've done a little bit of speculating myself and here's what I have so far:

Tempting Time - ?

Soraya - A female name of Persian origin meaning "princess"

Thoroughly At Home - ?

On Impulse - ?

Tessitura - I won't ramble here about this concept so: Tessitura - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Behaving Badly - ?

The Price Of Everything and The Value Of Nothing - The latter half of an Oscar Wilde quote.

CAFO - I presume that this song is about a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation

Inamorata - This is a word for a person's (specifically) female lover

Point To Point - ?

Modern Meat - I'm sure this one ties back into CAFO if I'm on the right track interpretation-wise

Song Of Solomon - This sounds a lot like a biblical reference but a scholar around here is going to have to fill me in

Wave Of Babies - This is, if I'm not mistaken, a Homestar Runner reference

An Infinite Regression - This is a philosophical concept that Aristotle discussed in writing at length

Odessa - ?

Somnarium - This doesn't appear to be a real word, but I would guess that "Somn-" is related to sleep or sleeplessness the "-ium" seems to suggest a space or area.

Earth Departure - ?

Isolated Incidents - ?

Do Not Go Gently - ?

New Eden - ?

Cylindrical Sea - Arthur C Clarke reference? From Rendezvous with Rama

Espera - I believe Espera means “to wait” or "to hope"

To Lead You to an Overwhelming Question - This is a line from TS Eliot’s “The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock"

Weightless - ?

David - Mirroring Song Of Solomon I presume this is another biblical reference

Kaskade - ?

Lippincott - I suspect that this is a tribute to Tom Lippincott , another fantastic 8 string player

Air Chrysalis - This is a reference to Murakami’s brilliant 1Q84

Another Year - ?

Physical Education - ?

Tooth and Claw - ?

Crescent - ?

The Future That Awaited Me - ?

Para Mexer - ?

The Woven Web - ?

Mind-Spun - ?

Nephele - Following the pattern established by the previous albums can anyone confirm if this is a biblical reference?

Obviously I acknowledge that some of them should simply be taken on face value or may have no additional meaning or reference, but I'm wondering if there's anything anyone can help me answer or speculate further upon

Thanks!

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Besides "Do Not Go Gently" being a poem by Dylan Thomas, I have no contributions. This is pretty interesting stuff, though.

mjbg

Reaction score
the only i could guess is "Para Mexer" in portuguese means "to move" or something like "to instigate" or "to play with"... depends on the context could mean a lot of things..

its interesting because Lingua Franca (tram) also could be portuguese.. but i dont know any background information that could sustain the portuguese relationship

** apparently "lingua franca" is a term not necessarely in portuguese.. although it could be translated the actual meaning is probably different

')