Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Does anybody know what string gauges Tosin is using? I don't know if Misha is some kind of magical producing wizard or not, because I have no idea how they get Drop E on a 27 inch scale so damn tight.

Last I heard it's something like 9-74, which isn't tight at all. It's partially a very light touch, partially the rapid flurry of notes. It's still there if you listen for it though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I don't think I've mentioned anything from the show about AAL yet, but I'll throw out what I remember.

Tosin and Javier's tones were INSANE. Like, the absolute perfect EQ and amount of gain/presence/etc. Love that shit. Best songs of the night were definitely Tooth And Claw, Point To Point (So happy they played that), Physical Education, and CAFO. Physical Education has some monstrous groove in it by the way, and an incredibly sexy clean interlude. Probably my favorite of the few they played live from the new record.

Obvioulsy, it doesn't need to be said but Matt's drumming was wicked as always. That dude is a ....ing beast at everything behind the kit and he hits so damn hard all the time, it's ridiculous. I don't think there was one time he messed up or I didn't like what he was playing. Probably my favorite drummer in the scene right now.

But yeah, great performance by AAL. 10/10 would watch again :yesway:

Altar

Reaction score
Can someone who go's to the show perhaps get some close up pics of Matt Garstka's new stack? I heard that it's a prototype for a signature stack that will come out at some point. It's made up of a 16 byzance extra dry china, with holes in it, and a 18(?) byzance extra dry crash, also with holes cut. Says "Custom shop" wher Byzance would normally be. If anyone at the next show can get some pics, I was too wiped out to remember... ;)

Thanks!

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
I was at the show too- it was absolute sex.

I asked tosin about the string gauge- he said 9-70somethign (probably that 94)

but pretty much it's a set of 9s...

he used the TAM10 on all of the old songs and busted out a tree with strings on it for Physical Education and his 4k sig on all the others.

It was sick..

I have some horrible footage I'll upload soon.... very bad quality xD

best thing I've ever laid eyes on..

Maybe including breasts.... idk I'm a but confused right now

Altar

Reaction score
Did I perhaps run into you? I was the little kid in the clown tie carrying a really flucking expensive cymbal and a canvas bag. ;)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Anyone heard this yet? I'm listening right now and Kascade is such a powerful opener. The leads are pretty awesome as well.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Did I perhaps run into you? I was the little kid in the clown tie carrying a really flucking expensive cymbal and a canvas bag. ;)

I definitely saw you.

I was the brown dude with a brown shirt.

... Bald.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Anyone heard this yet? I'm listening right now and Kascade is such a powerful opener. The leads are pretty awesome as well.

Heard the album- best one so far in my opinion it is absolute sex.

AAL definitely up there in the realm of Dream Theater on the list of "things I sacrifice goats to appease"

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not listening to a leak, you shouldn't talk about that stuff on here. Especially on the band's thread. I'm listening to a copy in 320kbps and it sounds fine to me.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
There is one phrase on that album that is taken from Periphery's "Ji" (I believe) and it's like Misha just sticks his head in there and goes "Howdy yall".

Props to anyone else who notices when/where that's at xD

jmeezle

Reaction score
Probably their most brutal riff at 3:43... perfect way to close the album out.

')