Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

wankerness

Reaction score
I only tracked parts on the pre-pro as we were writing and that was the main focus, but that section was super tricky! Nolly retracked everything with Tosin/Jav/Matt so that the takes could be super tight for the final product.

What tuning did Nolly use on this album? Did he have the bass down to EBDAD (or something) to go an octave below the guitars, or did he just use a five string tuned BEADG (or something close) and play in the same octave on the 8-string stuff like Meshuggah and only go lower than E on sections where the guitars aren't playing on the low E? He's clearly going down below the range of the guitars on stuff like the Kaskade solo where the guitar riffs are in 7 string range, but I didn't really hear where he was on the 8 string riffs. I'm waiting to listen really closely to the bass stuff till I get my actual copy of the album (I'm old-school I guess).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
That sick groove in The Woven Web is just bass right ? Or is Tosin also using his thumb slap technique ? :scratch:

Man I can't wait to see them live !

It's guitar with Tosin's thumping technique. I believe the album has programmed bass on most tracks. Lippincott is one of the few tracks that has real bass, but I forget which other ones do. On the pre-pro I programmed the bass on all the tracks, and handed the MIDI over for the final sessions.

fungwabus117

Reaction score
It's guitar with Tosin's thumping technique. I believe the album has programmed bass on most tracks. Lippincott is one of the few tracks that has real bass, but I forget which other ones do. On the pre-pro I programmed the bass on all the tracks, and handed the MIDI over for the final sessions.

Are the programmed ones Trilian?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I caved; I had to listen to it again before receiving my copy. It's friggin' nuts. That one pitch that goes up and down during the chorus of Mind-Spun is so fitting for the title of the song. So psychotic. I cannot wait for my copy to arrive (some day...) and listen to this in high quality!

Reaction score

I would like to see your process on this or if you could discuss it here it would be greatly appreciated.

madloff

Reaction score
Just had my first listen to this new album today. Holy crap. I wasn't this biggest fan of Weightless, but I'm really digging The Joy of Motion. Nolly did a fantastic job engineering this thing.

bulb

Reaction score
Are the programmed ones Trilian?

I don't know what program Nolly used on the final mix, when I was programming on the pre-pro tracks it was just for the sake of composition so I just used a bass sound in one of the programs that comes with Cubase, did the trick.

_RH_

Reaction score
I'm not saying it's a rip off, but a snippet at the beginning of "Nephele" reminds me so much of a slower "Unleash the Pwnies"! I think it's just the ascending notes followed by that chord. I can't unhear it now ha!

After a few listens, I think I prefer this to Weightless but I'm not sure it tops the S/T. Good stuff!

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Mind-Spun and Physical Education I've been jamming on since they pretty much first released the stream.

I'd love to know how they came up with Mind-Spun, it's a completely different track for AaL, but it's so freaking cool and unique.

7soundz

Reaction score
After listening to the youtube stream.......I think an official tablature book is a must for this new album. I honestly hope AAL considers this. Music this good should be available for all to learn. I say we put a poll for all who want a tab book!

bulb

Reaction score
Mind-Spun and Physical Education I've been jamming on since they pretty much first released the stream.

I'd love to know how they came up with Mind-Spun, it's a completely different track for AaL, but it's so freaking cool and unique.

Most of those riffs are old. So old that they were in a demo that was supposed to be used for the first AAL album, but that demo didn't make the cut then. Even the drums are similar, it's just the mix that is horrendous on that demo, goes to show how much of a difference a mix can make haha.

JmCastor

Reaction score
After listening to the youtube stream.......I think an official tablature book is a must for this new album. I honestly hope AAL considers this. Music this good should be available for all to learn. I say we put a poll for all who want a tab book!

this x100, there is so much musicality here. one of those albums where nearly every technique accessible to the modern progressive guitarist is not only used, but used in a musically pleasing context.

That and i would spend nearly all my free time (Marine Corp doesn't give me much) learning this s**T

PAZ

Reaction score
I remember seeing/hearing that Diego had his hand in this album aswell... does anyone know if he helped produce any tunes on TJOM?

I apologize in advanced if my information was mistaken.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I remember seeing/hearing that Diego had his hand in this album aswell... does anyone know if he helped produce any tunes on TJOM?

I apologize in advanced if my information was mistaken.

I don't think so, but I could be mistaken. As far as I am aware, he is producing the upcoming Veil of Maya album. I also read a rumor a while back that there was going to be a Tosin guest spot on the upcoming Volumes album. That one I've only read once with very little information though, so I have no idea if thats true or not.

bulb

Reaction score
Diego demoed 3 of the songs on the album, and although I believe he took a little less of a writing/production role on his end, he did demo Physical Education out with Tosin, and that song owns!

HexaneLake

Reaction score
This album is so damn good. Simply AAL. Can't wait till my vinyl arrives so I can complete my collection!!

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
So glad they wrote an album I can listen to all the way through without getting bored. This is some seriously great songwriting and the production is crazy good. Also Matt is a ....ing MONSTER

PAZ

Reaction score
They killed it last night in Edmonton, AB, Canada. The venue was packed wall to wall with approx 700 people and more energy than any other band i have seen to date!

When they began tearing down their gear, Matt just kept playing drums and their sound guy - who i swear was Markides, or looked a hell of a lot like the few photos i have seen - began removing the pieces of his kit one by one. T'was a great way to end the night!

slapnutz

Reaction score
Hey Misha I love the sound of the album. As weird as it sounds I knew after listening to Wave of Babies compared to the original album, there was definitely potential to get a more powerful sound if you and Tosin had more time to produce.

Just wondering since its the modern age of internet geekery and such, did you video any of the many late night sessions and editing..etc...etc... do you know if anyone is thinking of releasing a pseudo making-off or BTS type digital download extra?

')