Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

shpence

Reaction score
Loving the album and especially "Another Year." It's got a Govan-y vibe to it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FretsOnFyre

SSO's sociopath
Reaction score
As for P.E. it reminds me a lot (the groove) with Primus stuff, I definitely hear a Les Claypool influence on a lot of the grooves on JOM.

My thoughts exactly!

Got to see them on Tuesday, they are freaking TIGHT live. Easily one of my favorite shows. I might recover from the sheer amount of awesome just in time for Dream Theater on April 14th! :bowdown:

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I've been listening to the YT album stream, and I just got the physical copy today. I think I like this one more than the original release, which pretty much cements it as AotY unless another metal band puts out something amazing in the coming months. :bowdown:

jimwratt

Reaction score
It's nice to hear Tosin open up and wail a little. That's something that's generally lacking in this field.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally got my copy today! :agreed:

fungwabus117

Reaction score
I wonder what nolly did to engineer Trilian, it sounds huge. I didn't know bends like the ones around the 5:04 on Kascade, where it's only like a fret up. Nolly, if you read this, could you shed some light on your Trilian process? Which model, what kind of post processing, etc, if you have time!

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I wonder what nolly did to engineer Trilian, it sounds huge. I didn't know bends like the ones around the 5:04 on Kascade, where it's only like a fret up. Nolly, if you read this, could you shed some light on your Trilian process? Which model, what kind of post processing, etc, if you have time!

Hear, hear!

Of course, after doing work that good, I wouldn't be surprised if he holds onto it as a trade secret. Normally songs that have parts where the bass can really shine through and it's Trillian or Zombass or whatever, you can tell, but on my first listen I had no clue that most of the bass tracks on the songs were programmed.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I really wish I didn't know that. Ruins the album in a major way for me. What else is fake? Are the drums real or programmed?

How would that ruin it for you? They don't even have an actual bassist in the band, bass was programmed on all their previous works for the most part as well. So why is it a surprise now? :scratch: And it's not fake, it's just programmed.

Drums were programmed in the previous albums, but I'm pretty sure they're real on this entirely.

wankerness

Reaction score
How would you define fake if not programmed? Doesn't programmed mean it was essentially written in midi and the sound was computer generated, aka no one actually "played" it on an instrument?

Reaction score
But it was played on an instrument, all the samples of bass that exist in software like Trillian or Zombass were recorded with an actual bass, with real strings, by a real person. It's not 'computer-generated', it's just real sounds being triggered through MIDI.

')