Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Agreed, the balance is nice but the album is completely lacking in dynamics. I don't really expect that to ever change; dynamics don't really seem to be Tosin's strong suit. It would've done a lot for the album though, there's a few spots that lack punch as a result.

:scratch:

How are you defining dynamics here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score

Probably loudness levels with the mastering or whatever. It's true that even the compositionally soft songs have incredibly loud metal-sounding drums (ex Another Year). It is definitely heavily compressed. I think it's really sterile and this mostly suits it just fine, I love the heavy guitar tones on this album.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Probably loudness levels with the mastering or whatever. It's true that even the compositionally soft songs have incredibly loud metal-sounding drums (ex Another Year).

Yeah, I guess that's fair, as I think about it.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score

What wankerness said. Obviously there's passages where most of the band drops out where there's a change in volume, but even here the actual volume change tends to be relatively small (any greater perceived change usually results from using a greater swath of the frequency spectrum). The album operates on roughly two levels to my ears: moderately loud and loud.

The song I usually point to for this is Physical Education. The bridge stays fairly loud throughout, which sucks energy out of what should be a big buildup. Then the big "WHAP" (technical term :D) at 3:31 as the band goes back to the main riff has no headroom to work with, resulting in an absence of punch at what should be the song's peak.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with that. Para Mexer is one of my favorites from the album, and it has some wonderful ideas. However, something about it did bug me a bit, but I couldn't really pinpoint what it was. I showed the song to my sister (who, mind you, has no clue about music production and is not a musician) and, while she said she liked it, she said the drums were too damn loud and too "metal." Good ears, that one has. Although maybe that particular fact has also a lot to do with the actual compositional dynamics of the music, as well as the sound production values of it. Same deal with Another Year. I went and made her listen to The Woven Web and she loved it. She said it sounded more coherent and everything was in its place, so to speak, given that it has a much heavier feel to it. After that I kinda listen to the album a little differently, but it's still not a deal-breaker at all for me. The things one can learn from a fresh, unbiased mind... :rolleyes:

wankerness

Reaction score
I would back her up on that one for sure. It sounds like the clean stuff has the same drum sound used on the heavy riffs, basically, and maybe this is accentuated by the production or something, I'm definitely not a production technique expert. It certainly doesn't ruin the soft songs for me, but it's most definitely an aspect of the sound of the album. It's entirely probable it was done deliberately and that was how everyone involved with the album wanted it to be. It's kind of the flip side of that Gorguts album from last year. They're like polar opposites on the metal compression spectrum. They both sound great to me but the Gorguts one has about the most dynamics and the most un-brickwalled sound you'll hear on a super-clear super-heavy modern metal album while this one has about the least possible for something with so many changes in guitar tones and song styles.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hhmmm I haven't heard the Gorguts album. I shall later on. It'll be interesting comparing and contrasting its sound quality with TJoM's.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
"It seems like there is more of a live feel on this album. You guys used acoustic drums?

Correct, those are real drums. I think there is essentially little to no sampling on that. The bulk of the drums you hear is real drums, just properly mixed."

Hahaha bullshit. That snare is sample replaced, and most of the toms and overheads.

anomynous

Reaction score
10246604_10152386744631639_3291753597820173962_n.jpg

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
^Just saw that. I might have to drive out to IL to see them, even though I just saw them last month. Conquering Dystopia is the motivation factor this time.

bulb

Reaction score
"It seems like there is more of a live feel on this album. You guys used acoustic drums?

Correct, those are real drums. I think there is essentially little to no sampling on that. The bulk of the drums you hear is real drums, just properly mixed."

Hahaha bullshit. That snare is sample replaced, and most of the toms and overheads.

Unfortunately, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Just because you say something does not make it true.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
. Just because you say something does not make it true.

Careful Bulb.

If a politician reads that you might upset the entire foundation upon which the current US government is built :eek:

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
I have a little idea of what I'm talking about.

And I'm glad to see some more dates near me!

EDIT:
"Little to no" is industry talk for "a lot more than a little."
There's no such thing as a little bit of sample replacement.
You either do or you don't.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I am SO BUMMED that they aren't coming to Detroit again, have been trying to get my guitar teacher and dad to see these guys.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score

EDIT:

Wrong. What Nolly does a lot is sample reinforcements. Basically you trigger the acoustic drums and use that to trigger samples that you blend in to reinforce the acoustic drums. A lot of the time you'll sample the actual drums being played, so you're reinforcing with the same sounds.

bulb

Reaction score

EDIT:

It sounds like your ignorance is stemming from not understanding the difference between sample replacement and reinforcement.
Please don't make claims about things you don't understand, it will cause less confusion.

stevexc

Reaction score
Wrong. What Nolly does a lot is sample reinforcements. Basically you trigger the acoustic drums and use that to trigger samples that you blend in to reinforce the acoustic drums. A lot of the time you'll sample the actual drums being played, so you're reinforcing with the same sounds.

My drummer used to do this for his kicks - it blended really nicely, especially for live. Super handy for keeping them really even, too, especially for our monitors - the sample was blended pretty far down in the PA but it was up real high in the monitors.

')