Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Meh

Reaction score
Album came early in the mail yesterday. I like what I'm hearing so far. I have to give it more than one listen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cslushy

Reaction score
Think my favorite song from the album is Arithmophobia but excluding singles I would go with Backpfeifengesicht.

Lemons

Reaction score
Just got home from work and on my first listen through. Given 2/3 released singles didn't do too much for me, I'm pleasantly that the rest of the album is fantastic.

Pre-emptive rating: SlightlybetterthanTheJoyofMotion/10

avinu

Reaction score
I guess this whole album is just over my head. The last track was the only one that seemed like a coherent piece of music to me.

chinnybob

Reaction score
I'm also in the "wasn't expecting much based on the singles but pleasantly surprised by the album as a whole" camp. It'll take a few listens to fully grasp the whole thing but there were definitely stand out moments on first listen. Ectogenesis being my favourite just for that synth line.

For me, not as good as JoM, better than Weightless, will probably end up on par with the self titled.

adriangrizzly

Reaction score
Think my favorite song from the album is Arithmophobia but excluding singles I would go with Backpfeifengesicht.

As a german: When I read "Backpfeifengesicht" I had a good laugh because I thought you were trolling. Now I realize that's really the tracks name.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
This album's surprisingly good! The singles, which I didn't like before, all make a lot more sense now that I've heard the rest. It's nice to have the heavy and shred back.

Not quite as good as Weightless and Lingua Franca. Just beats AAL and streets ahead of TJOM.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
Didn't do much for me, made it 3 tracks in and said "yep it's animals as leaders" and played something else. I've been moving away from proggy stuff lately, this kinda reaffirmed that.

Dudes can play though, as always.

klinic

Reaction score
Has brain dance been remixed? I ended up deleting the singles and re downloading the whole album and brain dance sounds way better and less prickly to me.

Was a bit worried at the start of the album but as it got into it I started really enjoying it.

Dantas

Reaction score
Ectogenesis and Cognitive Contortions :bowdown:....really digging how they used synths in those tracks.

The new album so far is very catchy, in a way that only the first album did that to me (it took me awhile to like both Weightless and TJOM).

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Just bought the CD/audio-rip from Amazon. My 2nd listen, and while I see that it's quite different (read less organic) from JoM which I loved, MoM is still excellent. It's more abstract, cold, distant but in an awesome way.

Last track, Apeirophobia, is simply amazing!!!!! Reminds me a lot of this Russian composer's (Nikita Koshkin) piece.

Djentlyman

Reaction score
Overall all I really like the album, much better than Joy Of Motion. However like everyone else has been saying the guitars to do get a bit sterile after a while. Seems like they went all out with the "thumping" technique. Also that snare! To me it doesn't sound right, it just doesn't blend in with the mix.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
Knew I was gonna dig this album the moment Brain Dance dropped. Favorite piece is probably Apeirophobia. Whole album is super tight and has great grooves and licks, especially in Private Visions of the World, puts me in a such a great space.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I had a couple of listens, it's pretty good, but still has to grow on me I guess. It sounds as their most introspective record to date, there seems a preference to layered weird melody structures and it is lacking in the head bobbing straight forward riffs. :yesway: up nonetheless!

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I haven't gotten to listen to every song yet, but definitely liking what I am hearing. Currently listening to The Glass Bridge and it sounds very much like Weightless. Then again I thought Weightless was great. Does anyone else get the vibe from that record that it is a very "cold"-sounding album? It could be that I used to listen to it a lot one winter and the album cover contributes to it...

Either way, I am really enjoying this record. Everything from AAL takes a while to sink in and digest....it's like eating a vegetarian meal after only eating McDonalds all your life, you're gonna feel a bit weird at first but then dat groove kicks in and you're like :yesway:

')