Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

Reaction score
I saw the same show in Atlanta this past Thursday and i must say that for my third time seeing AAL I was pretty disappointed. The first time was great but I am beginning to get sick of Naveen's drumming. It seems a little flashy and sort of steals the spot light from the guitars. During On Impulse in the beginning when Tossin has his guitar intro Naveen would not stop wailing on the hi-hat. It stole the attention from the guitars completely for me. Not only that but nearly all his parts seem improvised which upsets me seeing that I know the original parts so well. Aside from a few other hick-ups in some songs it was still a great performance but definitely not the best I have seen them do. I still love you guys and look forward to hearing new materials.

Yeah... AAL were cool, but I have my fair share of complaints about the performance too. Tosin was kinda sloppy here and there... Don't get me wrong, he's clearly a great guitarist, and he nailed some riffs, and his little jam session with Circa was very cool, but some stuff was noticeably sloppy. No big deal. There's no need for intense criticism. I know nobody is a robot who plays perfectly, but I was just expecting him to be cleaner.

I also think the Axe-FX guitar tones were kinda bad sounding... the distorted guitars sounded plasticy and honky, and their FOH mix wasn't very clear or all that great sounding... I also really think they could benefit by having a bassist. IMO, they had the worst sound of the night, BUT all of that is just nitpicking. Tosin's music is great, and he and the other members are all great players. Hopefully the criticism doesn't come off sounding too harsh.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rotatous

Reaction score
Isn't it obvious? You basically want the first album all over again rather than them collaborating, which would be much better for them as a band.

+1

I agree entirely. I know it will be awesome.

bulb

Reaction score
wow im surprised that so many of you are going so black and white on this one and completely neglected to think of a 3rd (and logical) option IF i do end up having time to write tracks:

DO BOTH!

The plan was for Tosin and I to write 2-3 songs the way we did the first album, just the two of us collaborating, but then to have navene write his own parts based off of my programmed ideas so it would have the best of both worlds, which would include him playing (since he is a phenomenal drummer).
So before some of you guys start getting all riled up about a situation that doesnt even exist, maybe you can chew on that. No one is replacing anyone, and Navene is not going to be replaced by a drum machine, and this new album, regardless of my involvement or not, is not going to be a rehash in any way of the first one.

bulb

Reaction score
Now that the other members of the group are writing the record and touring, why would you want to take away their ability to be on the record. AFAIK, the first record is what it is because of a lack of personnel. Not because that was the ideal situation.

That is actually incorrect.
Tosin was originally approached by Prosthetic to put out a solo album, all that they cared about was that Tosin would be involved in a new project, and Tosin wanted to spearhead it creatively. It evolved into what became the first album, and is currently evolving again since the other band members have so much they can bring to the table. It had little to do with limitations from finding adequate members for the project, hell Tosin was even living with Javier when we were doing the album.

DanielKRego

Reaction score
Wow. What a shitstorm. I'd never imagine Tosin or Misha produce the new album entirely neglecting Navene's artistic abilities, which are immense, if it needs to be said. Yes, AAL songs live do sound different, but that's because Navene brings his own unique style to the table, which is something Tosin wants evidently, or he'd fire Navene.

slapnutz

Reaction score
I really hope the drummer will actually record drums instead of DFH who every band in this universe are using.

+1

Agreed, that snare is starting to sound all to familiar.

(understandibly, if budget and logistics allow, this would be great).

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I think in order to step further out from a saturated genre, having an actual acoustic kit recorded would be an excellent step. Part of the thing I love about certain albums is the unique drum/guitar tones applied to that project alone. Like APCs thirteenth step drum sound and how Josh Freese tracks drums. It adds so much to that album if it were DFH it just wouldnt sound so unique. I think AALs music deserves it's unique ideas to be reflected as such in the production. I think Mishas programming is the best I've heard so it'd be nice if he were involved in writing but then let Navene hit a real kit and dont drum replace. He rules.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
That is actually incorrect.
Tosin was originally approached by Prosthetic to put out a solo album, all that they cared about was that Tosin would be involved in a new project, and Tosin wanted to spearhead it creatively. It evolved into what became the first album, and is currently evolving again since the other band members have so much they can bring to the table. It had little to do with limitations from finding adequate members for the project, hell Tosin was even living with Javier when we were doing the album.

I guess I worded that incorrectly. I just remember that while Tosin was writing the material for the record and demoing songs, he mentioned a lot of people that were possibly going to be involved. Navene was always part of the discussion but was busy with Animosity at the time. Evan was also going to be playing bass possibly too although that was before there were 8 strings in the equation. None of this really matters now because AAL is having a good deal of success and can really do whatever they want with the new record.

BTW - are there real drums on Make Your Own History?

bulb

Reaction score
I think in order to step further out from a saturated genre, having an actual acoustic kit recorded would be an excellent step. Part of the thing I love about certain albums is the unique drum/guitar tones applied to that project alone. Like APCs thirteenth step drum sound and how Josh Freese tracks drums. It adds so much to that album if it were DFH it just wouldnt sound so unique. I think AALs music deserves it's unique ideas to be reflected as such in the production. I think Mishas programming is the best I've heard so it'd be nice if he were involved in writing but then let Navene hit a real kit and dont drum replace. He rules.

That's ironic that you say not to drum replace and you mention an album that definitely has drumreplacement and samples on it.
EVERYTHING in rock/metal has drum replacement or sampls on it, unless its an album where people bitch about how the drums sound shitty.
Honestly I believe it all to be psychological, since most people THINK the drums are drumreplaced quantized or sampled, it makes it sound real...

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Well its going to be even more prevalent in metal music because people are often writing to the very limits of their ability and in the scrutiny of the studio its easier to fix a small problem (that might not otherwise be noticed live) with a sample and midi rather than spend another $5000 day playing the part over and over until its right.

bulb

Reaction score
Well its going to be even more prevalent in metal music because people are often writing to the very limits of their ability and in the scrutiny of the studio its easier to fix a small problem (that might not otherwise be noticed live) with a sample and midi rather than spend another $5000 day playing the part over and over until its right.

That's half the story, the other half is that its not even possible to get those sounds without a ridiculous drum room and studio which cost a fortune obviously, and then 99% of drummers nowadays can't play to the expectations we have (because we listen to music with samples). You guys really think that every snare hit was that hard and perfect and on time? Its funny because this is the case because people LIKE the sound of samples whether they know it or not. Hell even super natural sounding drums like karnivool's sound awake have samples on them! And those are some of the bst and most natural sounding drums ever, but they wouldn't sound nearly as good if they weren't quantized and had those samples, and that's not talking shit on the drummer because he is one of te best drummers out there imo!

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
ya i have to turn down my subs too...i always think of when "The Walk" kicks in....the kick is just like BOOM!...lol

Also, I have been getting really interested in Navene ever since I saw him play with AAL @ summer slaughter. Even though I listened to Fleshrot before it was Fleshwrought, realizing who it is makes it that much better. Hes pretty much a genius.

Is Navene Alex Rudinger? or are they different people entirely?

EDIT: Just realized that they are definitely not. Apologies.

DanielKRego

Reaction score
That's half the story, the other half is that its not even possible to get those sounds without a ridiculous drum room and studio which cost a fortune obviously, and then 99% of drummers nowadays can't play to the expectations we have (because we listen to music with samples). You guys really think that every snare hit was that hard and perfect and on time? Its funny because this is the case because people LIKE the sound of samples whether they know it or not. Hell even super natural sounding drums like karnivool's sound awake have samples on them! And those are some of the bst and most natural sounding drums ever, but they wouldn't sound nearly as good if they weren't quantized and had those samples, and that's not talking shit on the drummer because he is one of te best drummers out there imo!

Sound Awake had samples and quantization? That just broke something deep inside of me. :(

')