Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
You learn the fastest when you are young, most musical prodigies have started very early. Not to say he will be one as maturing as an adult is also needed.
I could practice 10 hours a day and still not be there in 5 years. (and yes you don't hear the guitar wery well but it doesn't seem faked)

Black_tear

Reaction score
Ooh man, i had already watched his videos and it justs makes me want to go and practice more. That being said, it's not fair. It should be ilegal to play like that at his age:squint:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Hes def playing that. Wow.

Too bad his tone is shit.

/self bargaining

:lol:

Exactly. I told myself, "Hey, at least I don't have a Justin Bieber haircut and adorn my walls with Rugrats posters."

Didn't work. :noplease:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Completely unrelated but if he's 14 years old, wasn't he like... barely alive when Rugrats were on the air?

Reaction score
You MUST do the drums. When I see them live it seems like a totally different band then what I am use to hearing on the album. And I must say I don't like the live show as much as the album just because the drums are so different in nearly every way. I fear what might come from a band produced album instead of a Tossin/Misha album.

Maybe you should sit the next couple plays out, Red. Personally I don't really care for the drums on the album. They don't really bring anything to music. I'm not saying they're bad by any means, nor am I knocking Misha's drum programing skills. But it's nearly impossible to capture the feel and abilities of an amazing drummer by just programming by hand.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Sound Awake had samples and quantization? That just broke something deep inside of me. :(

Yeah dude that bummed me out too. I had a chat to the Karnivool drummer and he was saying that him and Forester went absolutely nuts tuning drums to the point of utter perfection. But I guess he was talking about how they made their own samples in the studio. I always thought it sounded so natural but I'd believe if they were quantized because the performances are freaking flawless unlike 13th step.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
That's ironic that you say not to drum replace and you mention an album that definitely has drumreplacement and samples on it.
EVERYTHING in rock/metal has drum replacement or sampls on it, unless its an album where people bitch about how the drums sound shitty.
Honestly I believe it all to be psychological, since most people THINK the drums are drumreplaced quantized or sampled, it makes it sound real...

I wasn't aware that he was drum replaced. It's certainly not quantized or on the grid. There is the stamp of Freeses' lazy groove all through the album which was what I meant by him bringing a certain flavour to his drum tracking. I certainly dont hear a Chris Lord Alge drum replaced vibe on 13th step. It sounds like a drummer on one kit in one room to me but I guess that's the magic of Andy Wallace and maybe me imagining things haha. I do know how costly live drums can be though. Hence why we have done our whole album superior 2.0. If I had a super solid drummer with feel and some cash to throw around I'd be doing live drums in an instant though. Regardless of how you guys approach the new AAL stuff it will sound rad. I would be pumped to hear a fresh drum sound unlike the 2.0 kits but I dont have a spare $10k to give you guys :(

Reaction score
That's half the story, the other half is that its not even possible to get those sounds without a ridiculous drum room and studio which cost a fortune obviously, and then 99% of drummers nowadays can't play to the expectations we have (because we listen to music with samples). You guys really think that every snare hit was that hard and perfect and on time? Its funny because this is the case because people LIKE the sound of samples whether they know it or not. Hell even super natural sounding drums like karnivool's sound awake have samples on them! And those are some of the bst and most natural sounding drums ever, but they wouldn't sound nearly as good if they weren't quantized and had those samples, and that's not talking shit on the drummer because he is one of te best drummers out there imo!

100% agreed. Although I admittedly don't really have the same tastes in production aesthetics as you (in general, anyways), you're dead on right about all of that. Samples are extremely commonplace today... and tons of people are striving to be as perfect and machine-like as possible, especially in the mechanical, ultra-tight type of metal a lot of us here are into. Although I LIKE that style a lot, sometimes we are just expecting what is more than humanly realistic for even great drummers to be able to play. The fact is people like sampled, edited music, and I think there's NOTHING wrong with that. After all, the point is to make the album be the IDEAL sounding version of the music. Playing live is one thing, and the album is another... Many people will only ever hear the album.

I'm all for interesting bands using technology to go DIY and get their music out there. It's a good thing, I think, because in the past a lot of great musicians probably weren't able to get their music out to people to be heard, because they didn't have the money to do it. It's awesome that bigger and bigger audiences and opportunities are opening up for people all across the world.

On the flip side though: with technology getting better and better and the costs of creating great sounding albums becoming easier and easier to afford, general tastes and aesthetics aside, it would be nice for people to quit being lazy and really do the best that they can within their means. There is a shit load of possibilities available to people. Bands can relatively inexpensively track DIs to be sent out for reamping, buy or make their own unique samples (whether super produced, machine-like perfection or more raw, realistic samples.... or even better yet, a blend of the two), etc. There is a lot that can be done with average budgets nowadays... GREAT sounding albums with GREAT sounding drums are very much within the reach of a lot of people... even when using midi drums (whether programmed or recorded on an e-kit)...

')