Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Ah, I did hear something about reliability issues with the Mackie?

Tosin needs to come to the UK. Unlikely I know, but we can live in hope right? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
Ah, I did hear something about reliability issues with the Mackie?

Yeah, it might have been the Periphery thread, but I remember bulb or someone saying that he blew like three of them. I guess they just can't handle the abuse and shredding:lol:

ZackP3750

Reaction score
Well I had my first AAL experience last night at an off-date show without circa survive, and needless to say, Tosin completely destroyed house. I was so amazed at how clean he is live that I could not stop smiling (cheesin' HARD). The venue maybe had 75 people at it, but made for an awesome experience. Dude in the front row screamed "I wanna party with you guys!", bought a beer and delievered it to the drummer onstage. Tosin kept saying "you guys are awesome. I don't think we've ever played Syracuse, but you guys are really awesome", to which fans responded "don't be strangers!!". I've heard some complaints about the live tone on the AxeFX, and I must say the only gripe I had was whenever Tosin would loop a guitar part, the loop was always louder (more piercing) than played live. The sound was surprisingly balanced in the venue, which is usually hit or miss at that venue.

One thing that I was really surprised to hear was a BASS guitar. He wasn't onstage, he sat off stage and I never actually made eye contact with him. You could hear him playing bass during the sound check, and there were basslines being played throughout the show (albeit not exactly with the album, little "dumbed down"). Anyone know if they are touring with a bassist now, or could someone really have learned all the bass parts and hooked up in Syracuse for just one show?

HolidayKiller

Reaction score
One thing that I was really surprised to hear was a BASS guitar. He wasn't onstage, he sat off stage and I never actually made eye contact with him. You could hear him playing bass during the sound check, and there were basslines being played throughout the show (albeit not exactly with the album, little "dumbed down"). Anyone know if they are touring with a bassist now, or could someone really have learned all the bass parts and hooked up in Syracuse for just one show?
I think the bass is pre-recorded just like the keyboard parts.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I think most of the bands that Animals As Leaders are touring with are a very poor match. Don't get me wrong, those bands are good at what they do and popular in their respective scene. But I'd love to see AAL tour with a more technically equivalent band(s). I think they would get more people interested in them. They are already getting really popular but it's kinda of hit and miss with people I talk to who listen to more metal stuff. They have either never heard of them or they are all about them. Also I favor the heavier side of music so I'd love to see them touring with the bands I listen to. I saw them on the summer slaughter tour and they complimented the bill so much. If they did a full on instrumental tour with any of the following bands: Scale The Summit, Levi/Werstler, John 5, or Jeff Loomis, that would be fucking amazing!

hahah yeah, touring with UNDEROATH is such a horrible idea :lol: Underoath are huge, the shows will be pretty big and it's a perfect band to tour with in regards to exposure to the metalcore/emo/alternative/screamo scene, most kids love branching out to music like this. Career wise, touring with Underoath is very, very sensible.

Mr Violence

Reaction score
Well I had my first AAL experience last night at an off-date show without circa survive, and needless to say, Tosin completely destroyed house. I was so amazed at how clean he is live that I could not stop smiling (cheesin' HARD). The venue maybe had 75 people at it, but made for an awesome experience. Dude in the front row screamed "I wanna party with you guys!", bought a beer and delievered it to the drummer onstage. Tosin kept saying "you guys are awesome. I don't think we've ever played Syracuse, but you guys are really awesome", to which fans responded "don't be strangers!!". I've heard some complaints about the live tone on the AxeFX, and I must say the only gripe I had was whenever Tosin would loop a guitar part, the loop was always louder (more piercing) than played live. The sound was surprisingly balanced in the venue, which is usually hit or miss at that venue.

It was incredible. And I believe it was live bass. They sound checked it. You could hear someone playing. The Axe-Fx DEFINITELY cut through. Sounded great.

I was blown away. Seeing them live is way, way more impressive. That's not to say the music isn't amazing, but just seeing it performed with that amount of virtuosity and clarity and heart was just a really musically inspiring experience. You can tell they love it.

I was so happy to see so many people in Syracuse that really love this music. I was getting very down about our scene in CNY.

ZackP3750

Reaction score
It was incredible. And I believe it was live bass. They sound checked it. You could hear someone playing. The Axe-Fx DEFINITELY cut through. Sounded great.

I was blown away. Seeing them live is way, way more impressive. That's not to say the music isn't amazing, but just seeing it performed with that amount of virtuosity and clarity and heart was just a really musically inspiring experience. You can tell they love it.

I was so happy to see so many people in Syracuse that really love this music. I was getting very down about our scene in CNY.

I had a feeling there was a bassist. Tosin kept looking off-stage and smiling, and I heard the bass get sound checked for levels before they played.

There were a couple times during the show where I could really feel the music, something I can't really describe. Truly a remarkable performance, and I was just as happy to see so many people there supporting AAL. I noticed a good amount of 40+ people there as well, which I thought was very interesting. Nice to know there's people around here that appreciate musicianship, as the Syracuse scene has an incredible lacking of bands worth a shit :noplease:

jaco815

Reaction score

Much as I like how they don't have a bass player and they make the most of it, and it also allows for the three of them to take bigger piece of the pie, I think they should just bite the bullet and get a bass player and keyboardist/programmer to fill out the band so it is not all programmed. The bass parts sound really awesome on the album and it would be great to see someone actually pulling that stuff off on stage. Maybe they could work in some fretless bass in some songs as well and really get way out there with the weirdness.

I was listening to Jaga Jazzist (one of Tosin and Misha's favorite bands) earlier tonight and was remarking at the similarity in the chord progressions between Jaga and AAL. I think it would be really sweet if AAL went further into the fusion thing. One of my favorites:

That song is incredible. They could really take advantage of some fretless bass slides in there to help that lazy feeling. Just saying...

Bass player or not, this next vid is only proof of how good their next album will be:

Funny how most noobs call Javi the "bass player".

And on the subject of fusion and good music, I thought I might share a few ERG vids from one of AAL's friends, Matthew Hemerlein.

HolidayKiller

Reaction score
Just because the bass was soundchecked doesn't mean it was played by a live human. They could very well have a "soundcheck loop" going while levels are matched. I saw a band that used pre recorded drums instead of having a drummer and used a drumtrack that wasnt one of their songs to soundcheck with.

ZackP3750

Reaction score
Bass player or not, this next vid is only proof of how good their next album will be:

Funny how most noobs call Javi the "bass player".

It's videos like these that make me extremely excited for any new AAL. Every video of them jamming out to new riffs or just toying around sounds so epic and unique, it seems like they would have no problem writing new material. For the fact that have so much jazz incorporated into their sound, they really leave every door wide open for writing more great music.

Funny you say that about Javier, his presence onstage was just like a bassist. I mean with everyone gawking at Tosin I can't really blame him for not being more emphatic, but he's still an awesome player nonetheless

QuambaFu

Reaction score
Javier is a nice guy. If you talk to him after a show buy him a gin and tonic.

Reaction score
I had a feeling there was a bassist. Tosin kept looking off-stage and smiling, and I heard the bass get sound checked for levels before they played.

There were a couple times during the show where I could really feel the music, something I can't really describe. Truly a remarkable performance, and I was just as happy to see so many people there supporting AAL. I noticed a good amount of 40+ people there as well, which I thought was very interesting. Nice to know there's people around here that appreciate musicianship, as the Syracuse scene has an incredible lacking of bands worth a shit :noplease:

The group of people that were at the very front right headbanging were my friends and I. One guy and myself agreed that we wouldn't headbang because AAL doesn't exactly call for it all the time, but we ended up letting loose. And yeah, the main reason is because no great bands ever come to Syracuse, so simply the fact that one of our favorite bands was coming nearby was enough for us to go wild.

')