Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I wish he'd pulled out the Strandy for the Oakland show. He had his LACS on the rack but they only used the 2228's.

Anonymous

Expect us
Reaction score
An awesome video of Tosin Abasi from Animals as leaders playing Thoroughly At Home (and answering questions) at Berklee
Enjoy:bowdown:

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Last night's show at Mojoes in Joliet(IL) was amazing. Spent a good bit of time talking to Javier, who is an amazing dude. A lot of good upcoming news from AAL. I also spoke with Evan Brewer for a while, and ran into Steve Jones from the faceless!

Tosin was spot on, and the energy they bring live is awesome. Unfortunately for me, a friend and I got kicked out near the end of CAFO due to a little brawl with some hardcore dancers.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
Man, i LOVE the new song! I feel like its more compositionally sound than a lot of their older songs, which sometimes feel like an unrelated barrage of (extremely awesome) riffs. This song has a real identity to it, i dig it!

Steve08

Reaction score
I don't really think the album is perfect, though quite good, to be sure. This new song has lots of parts, most of which are cool by themselves but aren't connected in a way that make sense and don't really contribute to any overall atmosphere... compare that to, say... On Impulse (which IMO is the best song on the s/t)

Also, I feel that the solos are great, but don't really add anything, are kind of meandering and to that effect, drag on too much.

Is it possible Misha just is/was a better songwriter and arranger compared to Tosin?

ScottyB724

Reaction score
Tosin was spot on, and the energy they bring live is awesome. Unfortunately for me, a friend and I got kicked out near the end of CAFO due to a little brawl with some hardcore dancers.

Yea I saw that scuffle too hahah, the security there are pretty big dick heads in my opinion. I know the place is new, and this is only the second time I've been there, (saw BTBAM a few months ago) but that's just been my experience.

I've seen these guys like 4 or 5 times now and they never disappoint, finally seeing them get to headline was awesome.

And to the naysayers about the new song... maybe your minds will change when you see it live. It's different, but still Animals, and still sick.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I don't really think the album is perfect, though quite good, to be sure. This new song has lots of parts, most of which are cool by themselves but aren't connected in a way that make sense and don't really contribute to any overall atmosphere... compare that to, say... On Impulse (which IMO is the best song on the s/t)

Also, I feel that the solos are great, but don't really add anything, are kind of meandering and to that effect, drag on too much.

Is it possible Misha just is/was a better songwriter and arranger compared to Tosin?

That's exactly what I've been saying for some time now.

:shrug:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Completely subjective and a matter of opinion. Personally I far prefer the AAL disk to Periphery's stuff (though I do like both)

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
See, I've always wondered how much effect Misha had on the album as a whole. We all know that Misha is pretty much the man when it comes to controlling the ebb and flow of a track, and he and Tosin produced the album together the first time. Not to doubt my idol, but I'm a bit anxious to see how the tracks flow in mishas abscence. I personally think they'll be fine based solely on monster riffage, but Im in the opinion that the overall statement of the piece is more important than badass riffs sprinkled around filler sections. I don't dislike the new track btw, I'm just waiting to hear the finished product and hoping that some more character will come through in the final mixes.

')