Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
pittsburgh review and impressions:

Evan Brewer: very cool stuff, and unique, the last song on his set, could have been made for love making. on a personal note, he wasnt very friendly when i went to talk to him, not sure if he was in a mood or what :shrug:

Last Chance To Reason: Not a fan at all. While the guys were all super nice, i just couldnt stand the "music", it was more noise than anything. The first song they played, the vocals were off big time on the clean singing. ohh well.

Dead Letter Circus: I listened to one song before going, i was honestly blown away by their performance. Someone said a few posts back that they werent metal. They may not be that heavy, but it beats anything in the vein containing excessive breakdowns and garbage.
To me they seemed like a heavy version of U2 with all the delayed parts.

Intronaut: Tight playing, but I was dissapointed they didnt play Above, as it being my favorite on valley of smoke. But it was enjoyable nonetheless

AAL: (insert typical fanboy spooging comment here)
You all know they did great.

Did get to talk with tosin for a while, and I was gonna buy him and Javiere a drink afterwards, but stupid Rex Theater closed the bar early, and WOULDNT let tosin back for not having his ID (guess he lost in on the last tour). Kinda stupid, and dissapointing.

edit: lulz forgot to mention, we got filmed for a dvd, and they've already recorded a new album. score. :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
they were sick tonight.
Only other band I liked was Evan Brewer.
Other than that it's all about AAL
Shitty venue, but sick show.

VILARIKA

Reaction score
I sure did. Im a little stressed tho, I paid $100 for 2 lesson spots, and have yet to get the details of when/where the lesson is. I posted on aal's facebook and emailed kelela, this chic who set the lesson up, and have heard nothing :scratch::squint:

I took a lesson with Tosin, it was well worth the money. I thought 6-8 people were going to come because of the email that had all the names down, but it was only me and one other guy. I guess everyone else just decided not to pay for it in the end.

The lesson was great. He asked what background I had with guitar playing and then picked up on certain aspects of techniques that applied to my background. He was pretty open to anything that I wanted to learn, but at the same time he had an idea of where to lead my playing, it was cool :yesway:

And if you paid thru paypal, just email Kelela the day before the show or the day of the show and I am sure she will respond in time!

Behaving_badly

Reaction score
Just got back from the Greensboro show and I was blown away
even the opening band was really good, they had a song where a saxophonist (a hot chick to boot) came out and played a bit

Even Brewer- really good, really nice onstage too, kept asking if anyone had something to say they could come up to the mike and say it. One dude said it was his birthday and I think Evan gave him a hug. Coo guy too, talked real quick with him after the show. That last song is indeed a love making song. Also ShadowFactory I can see why you thought he may be in a mood, even though he seemed very nice at our show he kinda has a reclusive demeanor. Great guy and great playing

Last Chance to Reason- not really my typical listening choice but really enjoyed their performance. Talked to the singer after the show and he said they were actually missing two of their members (I'm not very familiar with the band so I hadn't noticed) Great playing though, I enjoyed it

Dead Letter Circus- didn't listen to any of their stuff before going and man I was blown away. They were really really good and I loved the show, the atmosphere they made and the crazy ass bassist with a rat tail. Going to get some more of their stuff when I can

Intronaut- amazing, really enjoyed the show. They shortened the first song a bit but thats alright. really great playing

AAL- even more amazing. enjoyed it from start to finish. Even though some people started moshing I didn't mind too much (pushed me a bit closer anyway) loved the new song and can't freaking wait for the new album. I can only say that it was like a catholic visiting Rome for the first time. It was a religious experience:cool:

got to talk with tosin after and had a photo op. seemed really chill and he even jumped up and tried using the low hanging rafters as monkey bars! very funny

EDIT: almost forgot....HIPSTERS, HIPSTERS EVERYWHERE not that they are a problem but please, if you're going to wear you beanies (in 90+ degree weather) 4inches off your head please remove them before the show as they are hard to see over. And please refrain from updating you phone apps, texting conversations not having to do with the show and your damn MLB app right in the middle of AAL's set, especially when you're right in the second row.

mountainjam

Reaction score
aal was amazing. my first time seeing them. the musicianship was mind blowing.

2011-07-26_18-43-12_193.jpg

this guitar weighed about as much a helium filled balloon. the lightest guitar i've ever touched.
2011-07-26_18-44-07_298.jpg

BrandonARC

Banned
Reaction score
was a beastly show last night. Chilled at dusties crib from btbam until it started then smoked with everyone after. AAL was amazing but i think DLC stole the show.

anomynous

Reaction score
So I'm going to the show on Monday, are all the bands hanging around the merch booths before/after they play?

mountainjam

Reaction score
was a beastly show last night. Chilled at dusties crib from btbam until it started then smoked with everyone after. AAL was amazing but i think DLC stole the show.

thats pretty cool. I noticed dan from btbam was at the show too. however, I couldn't get into dlc.

So I'm going to the show on Monday, are all the bands hanging around the merch booths before/after they play?
yeah, you can talk to every band member if you want.

anomynous

Reaction score
Cool, I'm definitely going to try to meet Evan brewer, the guys from Intronaut, and Tosin of course.

Also the guys from Last Chance to Reason, I'll probably go over during DLC, because they do nothing for me

codync

Reaction score
EDIT: almost forgot....HIPSTERS, HIPSTERS EVERYWHERE not that they are a problem but please, if you're going to wear you beanies (in 90+ degree weather) 4inches off your head please remove them before the show as they are hard to see over. And please refrain from updating you phone apps, texting conversations not having to do with the show and your damn MLB app right in the middle of AAL's set, especially when you're right in the second row.

I assume you're talking about the dude with the girl jeans and the red beanie. I was sweating my ass off during Evan Brewer and I was in shorts an a t-shirt. This dude was in front of me and I couldn't see in between the beanie and him having to kiss his girlfriend twice a song. Fuck him.

Anyway, incredible show. That was the third time I've seen AAL and they were head and shoulders above the other performances. Intronaut was flawless as always. DLC was good, LCTR was impressive, especially the singer, and Evan Brewer was obviously great. Missed the local band but I've heard them before and I'm not really into it. Spoke to Dan Briggs afterward and he said the first date of their tour with AAL and Tesseract will be in Charlotte.

Behaving_badly

Reaction score
^^ not the guy I was talking about but I remember him.

IMO most of the people in the front were the douches that were jut there for hipster cred. After DLC you could tell who was there for Intronaut and AAL. This guy next to me kept shoving the shit out of people whenever moshing started because he had to provide a protective barrier around his girlfriend. Dude, it was obvious that the moshing was pushing us unwilling participants forward; I was not going to grab you're girl's skinny ass. :noplease:

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
^^ not the guy I was talking about but I remember him.

IMO most of the people in the front were the douches that were jut there for hipster cred. After DLC you could tell who was there for Intronaut and AAL. This guy next to me kept shoving the shit out of people whenever moshing started because he had to provide a protective barrier around his girlfriend. Dude, it was obvious that the moshing was pushing us unwilling participants forward; I was not going to grab you're girl's skinny ass. :noplease:

Theres nothing that annoys me more at a show then when there are people in the pit who get pissed because people are hitting them. Why the hell do you come to metal shows if you dont want to get bumped into, let alone stand right in the goddamn pit?

death of k

Maestro of Milltown
Reaction score
I suppose this could fit into a few places, live performance or gear&equips, but i'm more interested in the art aspect here, and since it has a musical affiliation, i thought this place appropriate>the alternatives, sorry if any mods think otherwise

but has anybody seen this? I saw them with Underoath, and some other band, it was a shit show, and AAL only played 5 songs, 2nd last act. Stellar, nonetheless,

and the other thing i noticed was the use of fractal art through a projector, wondering if anyone knows what software was used

G2een

Reaction score
That song Javier played really got me. I saw this tour in Scottsdale Arizona. I was there for DLC but AAL definitely put on a good show. Some of the riffs/licks these guys play are so inhuman haha.

jr1092

Avalanche in D Minor
Reaction score
I was at the Lancaster show last week. Went only for Evan Brewer and AAL. Some jackass yelled out when Evan went to set up with 3 basses, "what's this clown doing with 2 more basses then you can at one time." He shut up real quick after the third song when he played two 5 string basses at once for "Currency". Got to talk with Evan Brewer after the show, really nice guy. Got the tour poster signed by a bunch of the guys on the tour.
The venue was small but for the 21+ crowd had an awesome balcony that literally I looked straight down and was directly on top Javier.
I wish my cell phone took better pictures. I was much closer then these pictures show. I was front row on the balcony.

0721111845.jpg

0721112057.jpg

0721112101.jpg

anomynous

Reaction score
Apparently Evan Brewer is offering bass lessons now, I shot over an email to see if he'll do one tomorrow night

')