Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
^^ Then again, Jeff Loomis' playing style is completely different from Tosin's... Loomis bends like a bitch and his vibratos require indecent amounts of control over the strings bending.

Aye.....true dat. I guess heavy gauges just scare me :)

Does Tosin favour a very low action? I could dig low + heavy strings....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think he's gotta. He does so much damn tapping it'd be inhuman to pull off half that stuff without 1mm action.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
I think most of the bands that Animals As Leaders are touring with are a very poor match. Don't get me wrong, those bands are good at what they do and popular in their respective scene. But I'd love to see AAL tour with a more technically equivalent band(s). I think they would get more people interested in them. They are already getting really popular but it's kinda of hit and miss with people I talk to who listen to more metal stuff. They have either never heard of them or they are all about them. Also I favor the heavier side of music so I'd love to see them touring with the bands I listen to. I saw them on the summer slaughter tour and they complimented the bill so much. If they did a full on instrumental tour with any of the following bands: Scale The Summit, Levi/Werstler, John 5, or Jeff Loomis, that would be fucking amazing!

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
I think most of the bands that Animals As Leaders are touring with are a very poor match. Don't get me wrong, those bands are good at what they do and popular in their respective scene. But I'd love to see AAL tour with a more technically equivalent band(s). I think they would get more people interested in them. They are already getting really popular but it's kinda of hit and miss with people I talk to who listen to more metal stuff. They have either never heard of them or they are all about them. Also I favor the heavier side of music so I'd love to see them touring with the bands I listen to. I saw them on the summer slaughter tour and they complimented the bill so much. If they did a full on instrumental tour with any of the following bands: Scale The Summit, Levi/Werstler, John 5, or Jeff Loomis, that would be fucking amazing!

I'd love a tour wit bands like scale the summit and the human abstract.

gstacey1

Reaction score
I think most of the bands that Animals As Leaders are touring with are a very poor match... If they did a full on instrumental tour with any of the following bands: Scale The Summit, Levi/Werstler, John 5, or Jeff Loomis, that would be fucking amazing!
I watched an interview with AaL and they basicaly said they didn't want to tour with bands in the technical metal scene because they take alot of influence outside from different genres. Like they wanna tour with not just bands but djs and stuff which id be down for.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
I watched an interview with AaL and they basicaly said they didn't want to tour with bands in the technical metal scene because they take alot of influence outside from different genres. Like they wanna tour with not just bands but djs and stuff which id be down for.

The artists they mentioned in that interview were all awesome, unique and underground bands. However, the bands they're touring with still pretty metal and popular. So they haven't really done what either of you are saying, but I hope they do! I can imagine that playing with the diverse artists they mentioned would be quite difficult to pull off.

Disco Volante

Reaction score
OMG They're coming to Knoxville! This may just make up for me missing Periphery when they rolled through there earlier this year.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
I think he's gotta. He does so much damn tapping it'd be inhuman to pull off half that stuff without 1mm action.

The action on the hollowbody is pretty damn low. Its setup across the board to be maybe 2-3mm.

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
OMG They're coming to Knoxville! This may just make up for me missing Periphery when they rolled through there earlier this year.

I'll mos def be at this show as well! Missed AAL when they came
to Nashville in Jan this year. Fucking snow... missed Periphery that
time as well.

Last edited:

lurgar

Reaction score
Here's hoping I can get tickets to the Houston show.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I added Tosin as a friend on facebook awhile back, and someone recently uploaded a pic of Tosin onstage with what looks like an Ibby custom 8, with an F Hole. Anyone seen this before?

Indeed they have :lol:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...sin-abasis-new-lacs-8-string-hollow-body.html

Inhuman you say? Consult the photo above of Tosin barring all 8 strings with an inch of finger left over on either side of the fretboard.... dude makes ET look short fingered :rofl:

New tour announced with Underoath. I'm pretty pumped. I was once an underoath fan, and AAL is definitely one of my favorite bands to this date. Should be a cool show.

Club Zoo Pittsburgh, PA
Feb 16 2011 7:00P

Kick ass, another Pittsburgh date :hbang: Gotta' get tickets :agreed:

EDIT: just got tickets to the show, gotta' love the $30 cost to buy a $20.50 ticket :squint:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Searching everywhere and for whatever reason I'm having a helluva time finding it... what gauge string is Tosin using for his looooow E? My brother in law and I were trying to do it on his Schecter with the stock strings and it's sloppy as fuck.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Searching everywhere and for whatever reason I'm having a helluva time finding it... what gauge string is Tosin using for his looooow E? My brother in law and I were trying to do it on his Schecter with the stock strings and it's sloppy as fuck.

80 at 27" so you'll want a bit heavier on a 26.5".

I asked Tosin this in my lesson with him back in August. He said they recently gauged up, playing .11s with .74/.80 on the low B, and E, respectively. I've gauged up on my 2228 to .10s with a low .76, but am going to make the jump to the .11s-.80 soon. It's true that jazz dudes play thick strings (most of my jazz friends use .13s or.14s in STANDARD, but it's never felt that comfortable for me.

HolidayKiller

Reaction score
I saw AAL friday with Circa Survive.... AWESOME SHOW. Tosin came out during The Glorious Nosebleed and did an epic solo that had the sold out Chicago crowd going nuts, it was AMAZING. Also I don't know if its been brought up but he stopped using the mackie speaker and is using the Atomic wedgies. Epic tour, catch it if you can.

Latest posts

')