Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD

bhakan

Reaction score
Nah, people are looking for either validation, someone to argue with, or like minded people. Also, some people just like to know either way what other people think about things, in particular things that they like, and to see the other side of the coin.

People have been reviewing albums, books, movies etc for a really long time.
I use them as an indicator of whether or not I should check out an album. I listen to a lot of music across a lot of genres, so it's a lot easier to quickly read what someone else thought to get an idea of whether you'll like it or not. For example I've found that I rarely dislike an album that was praised on heavy blog is heavy, because for whatever reason my taste in heavy music is similar to theirs. It's not perfect, and I probably miss out on some stuff I'd like, but its better than trying to listen to every piece of music ever released.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7soundz

Reaction score
Just to clarify my post earlier, I don't regret buying this album and ultimately no one can deny the talent of these players. I guess the disappointment for me personally is that I can't see myself listening to this regularly with the exception of 2 or 3 songs.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I remember the days of listening to albums without hearing anyone else's opinion or reading a single review. Now everyone has the super power of determining how good/bad an album is after one listen. There is a guy on youtube called needledrop(?) that posts video reviews of multiple albums and somehow has 800k subscribers. Are people looking to be told what to think that badly?

More to your point; I think that sometimes it's cool to hate something after it's not the new hotness anymore. It's exhausting to have to be so critical of everything and trying to be the smartest guy in the room. It's way more exciting and freeing to find something that you like about it.

It's a music discussion forum, there are fans of music here and fans of this band. New band drops the album and the point of discussion is, you guessed it the new album and their opinions on it! It's interesting to hear other's viewpoints on topics.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
Saw them last night and it was a fantastic show.
The new songs sounded great live.

Dcm81

Reaction score
All complaints are completely unfounded.
Cause there's a song called "Backpfeifengesicht" which means Bitch-Slap-Face......nuff said!

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
All complaints are completely unfounded.
Cause there's a song called "Backpfeifengesicht" which means Bitch-Slap-Face......nuff said!
A Backpfeifengesicht is "a face deserving of a slap", or more common "a punchable face".

Example,
"Der Typ mit dem Backpfeifengesicht" is "The guy with the punchable face".

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Strangely enough for me, tMoM has been the most easily digestible album for me to get through, but that does not mean I'm diminishing anything on it. Hell, Private Visions of the World is currently one of my favorite tracks. I love songs that evolve!!

wankerness

Reaction score
I can't believe anyone thought JoM was less like "songs" than "riff collages," but there we have it. The only track on there that wasn't coherent and sounded like random riffs stuck together was "Mind=Spun," which the title of seemed to suggest that was almost the point.

This one really does sound more like riff collages. I don't love it, but it's generally more interesting than Weightless. "The Brain Dance" is easily one of my favorite tracks they've ever done, but I don't think I'd put anything else in that category.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I kind of agree with Wankerness, sadly. I do love The Brain Dance (and Ectogenesis :hbang:), but this album really didn't grip me like AaL or JoM. It's not like the month of November was full of albums I loved, either. So that pretty much rules out a simple crowding issue.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Anyone knows what setup they're using live on this tour? I've seen that Tosin is working with some company called Morgan amps and they have Mesa amps on stage but I've seen someone say that they're using the amps for monitoring and that the sound out is still Axe-Fx

MSUspartans777

Reaction score
Anyone knows what setup they're using live on this tour? I've seen that Tosin is working with some company called Morgan amps and they have Mesa amps on stage but I've seen someone say that they're using the amps for monitoring and that the sound out is still Axe-Fx

I'm pretty sure Tosin went straight analog the entire tour and I think Reyes stuck to his trusty AxeFX2.

There are lots of pictures with Tosins full pedalboard setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjawyd8sNB8

wankerness

Reaction score
and the rest was history...

?

Anyway, I've been listening exclusively to Joy of Motion for the last week or two in my car. This is one damn good album. I often find myself skipping straight to Lippincott and The Woven Web, even though I like everything on the album (Crescent might be the least good, but still well worth listening to!). I still thinking that bizarro slap riff halfway through The Woven Web is one of the greatest riffs ever.

#1 greatest riff from any band ever might be that riff at 4:55 in CAFO. Woven Web has nothing on that one!

sawtoothscream

Reaction score
Couldn't get into tjom and from what I heard so far this album is a pass for me. Loved the first two albums.

HexaneLake

Reaction score
This album is amazing, I'm fairly shocked by everyone's reception. To me it is a natural and much desired evolution of their sound.

Best song: INNER ASSASSINS

extendedsolo

Reaction score
?

Anyway, I've been listening exclusively to Joy of Motion for the last week or two in my car. This is one damn good album. I often find myself skipping straight to Lippincott and The Woven Web, even though I like everything on the album (Crescent might be the least good, but still well worth listening to!). I still thinking that bizarro slap riff halfway through The Woven Web is one of the greatest riffs ever.

#1 greatest riff from any band ever might be that riff at 4:55 in CAFO. Woven Web has nothing on that one!

I think that the Physical education main thumping riff is a top 5 riff for them.

')