Anime/manga megathread

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Anyone been watching the new season of Attack on Titan? Is it still going? I still need to rewatch the 2nd season since I dropped it about halfway through but might as well just wait for the 3rd season to air completely before I watch anything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

takotakumi

Reaction score
Anyone been watching the new season of Attack on Titan? Is it still going? I still need to rewatch the 2nd season since I dropped it about halfway through but might as well just wait for the 3rd season to air completely before I watch anything.
Yeah, currently s03, ep 9.
According to my roomate -who reads the manga- they just finished the first arc of this season.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
So the final episode of Persona 5 The Animation has aired, and I've just seen it, so I guess a review/recap now is as good an any.

Getting this right off the bat, this, like Persona 4 before it, will always be compared to the game experience. I did this myself, and admittedly wrongly enough too. Yes the gaming experience of these stories are much more fulfilling when you have complete control of your character, his moves, and his choices that affect the relationship of everyone around you. And in this case, much more than Persona 4; yes, the budget of the anime is much lower than Production I.G.'s stylish behemoth. CloverWorks make a valiant effort, but they're no Production I.G, so it's back to the usual anime cut corners shtick. You can see in the "All Out Attacks" looking down right ugly at times. It's very rough looking especially when the game looms a huge shadow over it. And perhaps the biggest flaw is that trying to fit an entire 100+ hours of plot into 26 episodes will kill a lot of the pacing of the story.

Having said all that, I have played the game (still playing it's NG+) and I love it to bits (deserved all the praise it got). And I will tell you as great as the game is, it's a bloody LOOOOONG one. So those who don't have the time to slog through a long JRPG, but still be curious on what the fuss is all about, I understand watching the anime as a shortcut, if not an incentive to play it. But I will still happily recommend P5 The Animation, despite it's flaws. Even to those who played the game.

The biggest strength of Persona 5 is the story. And it's a doozy. Main character Ren Amamiya (yeah yeah Akira Kurusu was his manga name, but Ren's a fine name for a bog standard teen anime protagonist), is on probation for a crime he didn't commit. Being sent to a last chance school in Tokyo sends him in to more insanity by discovering an ability to traverse into another world manifested from the malevolent desires of one's heart, and then steal that heart to remove said evil from the person back in the real world. RenRen gets to assemble his own Scooby Doo ragtag team to steal the hearts of evil tormentors. And that's it. Pretty simple on a morality standpoint. Heroes yay, villains boo, though it does get to ridiculous Saturday morning levels on the villain standpoint.

Going back on the pacing. Separating myself from the game a bit, I personally think CloverStudios did a decent job. Yeah they hacked out a large portion of the character development when Ren spends time with his confidants (some of them last as long as short bursts of scenes) and it shows a lot of the meat of his relationships are missing. But this is a note for not retelling of the game. The dungeon scenes are skimmed through right enough for the pace, and despite what I said earlier about the confidants, that's only to a selected few, while there are some episodes that dedicate the relation with a certain confidant, which is needed to give some nice needed breathing time to soak in Ren and his friends. For the most part the anime actually took it's time with telling the story right with what they have.

Not much to be said about Shoji Meguro's music, it's the same as the game with a few new tracks. And the game's OST is pretty much my album of 2017. I particularly like the OP and ED songs particularly Infinity (ED1) and Dark Star (OP2), and Lyn comes back to sing those too.

The series does end on a cliffhanger, and quite a shocking one at that (definitely those who don't know the story already). I won't say anything here other than it happens on one of my favorite parts of the game.
The cliffhanger ending does get undermined by the upcoming OVA Persona 5 The Animation - Dark Sun being released roughly December, where it picks up directly from EP 26.

So yeah, TL/DR, I will still recommend to play the game first. But for those who don't have time, Persona 5 The Animation will do just fine.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't even remember the ending of the game!! I just remembered thinking the game should have ended before it did.

Does the anime use the same goddam music EVERY SINGLE TIME that anyone fights something? :D

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Still crying from the final of Steins Gate 0. Jesus Christ. All aboard the feel train to oblivion.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally kept on watching Violet Evergarden after catching the first 2 episodes upon airing. On episode 7 now, and what a beautiful show it is. I hadn't watched any anime since Dragon Ball Super ended. This show's good stuff.

feilong29

Reaction score
Watched the dubbed My Hero Academia: Two Heroes movie and it was really good!

wat

Reaction score
Caught up with the Attack On Titan manga and GOTDAMN. I hope the show doesn't deviate too much from the manga for the next arc. I worry because unless I'm mistaken,
Mikasa's mark on her arm
was skipped over in Season 1, but becomes very relevant in the next arc.

Planning on reading all of Berserk & My Hero Academia soon.

Enjoying Goblin Slayer so far and I may start the manga as well. I first heard about it from the social media hysteria surrounding the first episode.

Still need to watch the Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's feel movie. I'll get to it after I finish watching the Garden of Sinners movies for like the 6th time, lol

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
Before I go to bed, I watch one episode of Dragon Ball, I've never watched the original much. It's a good show obviously, but it's also very comfy and nostalgic with it's 80's microphone quality and orchestral arrangements, so it makes me sleep good lol. I got the Christmas tree on as well for added effect.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
is the goblin slayer anime any good? I've been thinking about starting it up after I finish seven deadly sins.

wat

Reaction score
is the goblin slayer anime any good? I've been thinking about starting it up after I finish seven deadly sins.

I like it. I read that the manga is based on an actual Dungeons & Dragons campaign the writer took part in. It's very D&D-like. Also very obviously influenced by berserk.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I like it. I read that the manga is based on an actual Dungeons & Dragons campaign the writer took part in. It's very D&D-like. Also very obviously influenced by berserk.
Welp I'm sold on it then. I love Berserk and DnD.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I binged all 10 episodes of Goblin Slayer last night. That first episode was brutal and really set the tone. It's a great show if you like grimdark fantasy. I can't wait to see how the manga compares.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
I binged all 10 episodes of Goblin Slayer last night. That first episode was brutal and really set the tone. It's a great show if you like grimdark fantasy. I can't wait to see how the manga compares.

Keep in mind it was a light novel first. If you really want to get the experience the author/creator intended, it wouldn't hurt to give that a shot. I've read all the volumes that are (officially) out in English so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to more releases. I watched the first couple episodes of the anime, and I'll probably finish the season one of these days, but the pacing / sense of flow is just... so different compared to the novels. That's by necessity, I realize, but I think I enjoyed the novels the anime is based on so far more than I enjoyed the episodes I watched.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Keep in mind it was a light novel first. If you really want to get the experience the author/creator intended, it wouldn't hurt to give that a shot. I've read all the volumes that are (officially) out in English so far, and I'm definitely looking forward to more releases. I watched the first couple episodes of the anime, and I'll probably finish the season one of these days, but the pacing / sense of flow is just... so different compared to the novels. That's by necessity, I realize, but I think I enjoyed the novels the anime is based on so far more than I enjoyed the episodes I watched.
I did see that it was originally a light novel and then a manga/anime. From what I've read so far it looks like both the light novel and manga offer slightly different takes on the story arcs, but it's nothing really significant. I'll probably grab the light novels after I finish off the manga.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
Initially the beginning of episode 1 had put me off, but I also wasn't familiar with the series. After getting through that and 1-2 episodes after, I was hooked. Went through and read everything. It's a lot more lighthearted at times than I thought it'd be. It's also nice that they keep some of the key shots and moments from the manga that were really good.