Anime/manga megathread

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Initially the beginning of episode 1 had put me off, but I also wasn't familiar with the series. After getting through that and 1-2 episodes after, I was hooked. Went through and read everything. It's a lot more lighthearted at times than I thought it'd be. It's also nice that they keep some of the key shots and moments from the manga that were really good.
I was just comparing the first couple of episodes to the first 2 volumes of the manga, they really didn't cut much from the anime (minus some of the backstory/flashback bits for the doomed adventurers from the first cave, and the rape/torture of the original party in the elfen fortress). I honestly think they should have left the elfen fortress scenes in the anime just to stay tonally consistent with the 1st episode and further emphasize how underestimating goblins is a mortal mistake in their world.

NikSampson

Reaction score
Had a quick look through the previous few pages and couldn't see a discussion on the new Dragon Ball Super: Broly movie... anyone else excited?

Thoughts on re-boot of an already popular character? I love the original Broly movie but think this will be a great movie with a lot more depth to Broly himself. Trying not to be overly precious about the small retcons though :)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've never watched any of the Broly movies, but he's always seemes hype to a suspension of disbelief breaking level; I mean, he comes back for a movie after how long, while Goku and Vegeta can go SSGB (or in Goku's case, Ultra Instinct Mastered) - but he STILL goes toe to toe with them as the Legendary Super Saiyan? Come on man, thats just lazy writing.

I am tempted to catch it when it comes out, its just stuff like that that gets me

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
I was just comparing the first couple of episodes to the first 2 volumes of the manga, they really didn't cut much from the anime (minus some of the backstory/flashback bits for the doomed adventurers from the first cave, and the rape/torture of the original party in the elfen fortress). I honestly think they should have left the elfen fortress scenes in the anime just to stay tonally consistent with the 1st episode and further emphasize how underestimating goblins is a mortal mistake in their world.
I agree about the fortress, but they may still figure some way to flash back to it in some way. They've already been jumping around between Brand New Day, Year One, and the main story. So there's still hope. I'm just glad that they aren't trying to make some complete departure from the literature.

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
I've never watched any of the Broly movies, but he's always seemes hype to a suspension of disbelief breaking level; I mean, he comes back for a movie after how long, while Goku and Vegeta can go SSGB (or in Goku's case, Ultra Instinct Mastered) - but he STILL goes toe to toe with them as the Legendary Super Saiyan? Come on man, thats just lazy writing.

I am tempted to catch it when it comes out, its just stuff like that that gets me
The new Broly movie is the first time he's appeared in the "canon" Dragon Ball timeline. Most of the old Dragon Ball Z movies aren't considered canon, but they've been trying to change that with the more recent films. Toriyama had some involvement with Battle of the Gods and Resurrection of F, and while those two movies were technically made non-canon when they converted them to the manga/TV series, they set up the general idea and premise for the series moving forward.

https://www.newsweek.com/dragon-ball-super-movie-2018-broly-akira-toriyama-why-1016372

They also kind of power scalled the Legendary SS form with Kale in Super, although technically not the "Legendary Super Saiyan", the form has some similarities with Broly.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
Recently got into universal century Gundam. Watched all of the series/OVA's chronologically up until the 08th ms team which im working on getting through now. Victory Gundam was an absolute wild ride, not really sure what to say about it besides that. Favorite is definitely Zeta and my least favorite is definitely F91, at least so far. I have reservations about MS IGLOO though as from what ive seen the animation is god awful, but we will see. Side note: definitely wish i would have gone with the compilation movies on 0079 instead of the series the first time around much better pacing.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
Recently got into universal century Gundam. Watched all of the series/OVA's chronologically up until the 08th ms team which im working on getting through now. Victory Gundam was an absolute wild ride, not really sure what to say about it besides that. Favorite is definitely Zeta and my least favorite is definitely F91, at least so far. I have reservations about MS IGLOO though as from what ive seen the animation is god awful, but we will see. Side note: definitely wish i would have gone with the compilation movies on 0079 instead of the series the first time around much better pacing.

Have you watched the Iron Blooded Orphans series at all? The animation and writing for it is phenomenal! Thunderbolt is also great, though short (like 6 episodes or so)

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
Have you watched the Iron Blooded Orphans series at all? The animation and writing for it is phenomenal! Thunderbolt is also great, though short (like 6 episodes or so)
I Haven't watched very much alternate universe stuff, i was mostly focusing on universal century stuff but I will have to give it a watch.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
Just started Sirius the Jaeger and B the Beginning on Netflix. The fight animation for both has been exceedingly good so far!

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Just started Sirius the Jaeger and B the Beginning on Netflix. The fight animation for both has been exceedingly good so far!
sirius has great fight scenes but it's kind of a tedious show imo. the new baki series is also good if you want batshit insane fights

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
sirius has great fight scenes but it's kind of a tedious show imo. the new baki series is also good if you want batshit insane fights
I'm about 4 episodes into Sirius. I'll definitely look into Baki! I'm a huge sucker for well animated fights and the hype it brings.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I'm about 4 episodes into Sirius. I'll definitely look into Baki! I'm a huge sucker for well animated fights and the hype it brings.
definitely check out the original baki series too then. the fights are even crazier with optic nerve ripping (yes that happens) and other insanity

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
definitely check out the original baki series too then. the fights are even crazier with optic nerve ripping (yes that happens) and other insanity
That may be a bit too much for my taste! I'm all for fights and a lost limb or 2, but the super visceral stuff is too intense for my taste!

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
There is a new band related anime? About time after the success of K-on. I gotta check this shit...

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
View attachment 66069
Strandberg in Bang Dream ?? Wtf i thought they only promote ESP Guitars in Bang Dream franchise?

It's what Riko Kohara, the seiyuu/guitarist from one of the bands featured on the show, has been playing these days:

latest

She used to play Deans:

0ae1269b0bd81fe3a3d4a763f9e15701.jpg

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Is the show any good? I've like Roselia, so I've been playing along to their music, but if I'm correct, they're not the main characters are they?
The first season is about the formation of Poppin'Party (the main band), but YMMV on how you'll like it since the animation's rough and there are times where it can be painful to watch (i.e. Kasumi repeatedly singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star).

The game Girls Band Party, which is a mobile rhythm game + visual novel, expands on their story as well as introducing the four other bands, including Roselia. The first season's plot was also adapted into the game as Poppin'Party's story 0, but it's not in the English version yet. It'll take hours to unlock all the available chapters due to playing a lot of songs and leveling up characters/bands being required, but I think you could find them on YouTube.

The second season takes place in a one-year timeskip after S1 and the game, and Poppin'Party are the main band again, but Rokka (the glasses girl with the Strandberg and guitarist of the yet to be revealed Raise A Suilen) is acting as an audience surrogate since she's the new girl at her school and is trying to become familiar with the bands, including Poppin'Party who she's already a fan of.

The first episode just aired days ago, and it uses 3D CGI animation instead of the 2D used in S1, which IMO looks much better since the character models look more consistent to the game's artwork.

Last edited:

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
Just started Seven Deadly Sins on Netlfix and I'm really enjoying it so far! Granted, I'm only 3-4 episodes in.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
So I've just binged through all 12 episodes of High Score Girl, after seeing it praised by fighting game fans, I couldn't help myself.

The setting is in the early to mid 90s when the arcade fighting game boom exploded, which leads to it's biggest gimmick: showing actual arcade fighting games like every incarnation of Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat to 3Ds like Tekken and Virtua Fighter to every game during the era SNK were releasing stuff every 5 minutes (anyone remember Savage Reign?). Also not limited to fighting games, but the entire scope of gaming culture of the era. Square Enix certainly paid a ton for all the other Japanese publishers to participate and fill the staff roll.

Coming from somebody raised and immersed in that era, that definitely tickled my nostalgia bone, that's usually something I try not to cloud by judgement, but the entire gimmick is shoved front and centre it's hard to ignore. And it's often made fun of too. Stuff like console wars, how many iterations of SF2 were released before SF3 was even a thing, or why the hell the SNES version of Final Fight was single player only were used as gags. There's a ton more but revealing them will ruin the fun as well as end up in spoiler territory.

But in spite of all that, looking beyond it's main gimmick, High Score Girl is a grounded, tender heartwarming romantic comedy about young love.

The 3 main characters have their moments of excruciating annoyance, but they felt genuinely real. Main protagonist Haruo Yaguchi is an absolute pillock. The very definition of 'otaku' in the negative connotation. But it's made all the more endearing, with how so many nerds hiding their true emotions behind their obsessions. Anyone who remembers Domon Kasshu from Mobile Fighter G Gundam, it's similar sentiment here. The other main character Akira Ono only communicates in expressions and gestures, so not a single word is uttered from her. This can be extremely frustrating when Haruo is forced to carry the dialogue for the most part (and boy does he bang on - like I'm doing now). But again, it works. The frustration that comes from watching these two carry a lot of weight when either character struggle to truly express their feelings. A typical trope in every anime ever, yes, but this really does hit home after an incredibly slow burn. There's another character Koharu Hidaka doesn't get enough screen time but also as compelling, you can really the change in dynamic when she shows up.

The animation is more geared toward the semi chibi look, though the eyelashes did bother me a bit (namely Koharu's) but that's just a quibble. Yoko Shimomura appropriately enough, scored the anime. And based on her wealth of experience, she does a good job of simple light hearted restrained pieces. Both the OP and ED themes are great, the latter I just straight up adore.

The 12 episode series ends in a cliffhanger, which make me really itch for the 3 OVA movies coming in a few months. But since they're OVAs, I'll have to savour this during the long wait.

TL/DR: Come for the gaming culture references. Stay for the heartfelt story.