Anime/manga megathread

wat

Reaction score
Calling all Fate-hoes!

Just watched episode "0" of The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II on Crunchy roll. It's about Waver from Fate Zero!

Pretty good so far and I'm pretty pumped for this.

Notice the shirt waiver is wearing :D

Screenshot_20190121-141246_Chrome.jpg dycuvv1.png

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Hmmm

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/fate-studio-ufotable-suspected-tax-evasion/

Either way that sucks.

Also now I've seen the last 3 episodes of High Score Girl while reading the Manga. There's a few things truncated (much of Makoto Ono's story, which is a shame as she's an interesting character), but the overall payoff was excellent. The 1-2-3 fighting game duel between Yaguchi and Hidaka and the build up to it, was excellent. Not only it captures how tense a fighting game tournament can be, it made me want to play Night Warriors again. :lol: Though because the last 3 episodes didn't really feel too different, I wish they released them as a whole last year so at least if feels like a full body of work. The series does end on an open note for possible future seasons. Not sure how that's going to work with the manga finished, but I'm excited to see either way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
It's been a while.
Do I still watch anime? Barely. Do I still relate with the general community? Sort of. Have I become a normie? Borderline.
Do I feel like watching more anime? You bet!

A lot has happened over the last 2 years and I've really shifted my focus away from anime, guitar, and, sadly, the SSO community. But that doesn't mean I don't still enjoy all of it.

After skipping it last year due to a lack of time and motivation, I decided to go to Otakuthon this year. (Montreal anime con.) I went with a couple of friends all three days of it. Having been away for so long and diving in head-first into it was a bag of mixed feelings for me. Seeing the same thing through different eyes and all. I disliked some of it, I appreciated the rest. The anime industry moves at a frenetic pace and there's no way in hell I'm keeping up with it, so a lot of it flew right over my head. On top of that, I feel like the anime community around here has turned somewhat political, which I quite dislike. Naturally, my mind and body resisted. At times, the whole thing felt like a drag and I questioned my position being there.

With that said, now that the con is over, I'm feeling quite nostalgic, and I'm missing being part of that community. I may try to make it a bit more of a habit to delve in a little more. I have quite a backlog of anime that I should get to, (don't we all?) but I want to watch something new. I know I can trust you guys for this, so I come to you for recommendations on what I should update myself on? (And, for the love of Lord Vai, don't tell me My Hero Academia... I first need to forget that the fandom exists.) The only new-ish (not really) thing that I've watched recently was Violet Evergarden... which I haven't finished because each episode emotionally fucks me up more than the last.

Other than that, something very noteworthy that happened at the con was the Miyavi concert, which was a friggin' blast. I've been listening to the guy very sparsely over the last 11-12 years or so, and it was great to be able to finally see him live. Hell of a guitarist, hell of a performer, and a man with a musical output far more varied than most musicians I've seen. Not your typical J-Rock artist, I would say.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1SNTFNl5HS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Other than that, something very noteworthy that happened at the con was the Miyavi concert, which was a friggin' blast. I've been listening to the guy very sparsely over the last 11-12 years or so, and it was great to be able to finally see him live. Hell of a guitarist, hell of a performer, and a man with a musical output far more varied than most musicians I've seen. Not your typical J-Rock artist, I would say.

You saw Miyavi live? I'm now super jealous. :squint:

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Man, I forgot about this thread. :lol:

Haven't really watched much during the past few years. I kinda miss being in high school with way too much time on my hands. Nowadays anime just feels like a waste of time since most of it isn't actually worth watching and pretty much only serves as a way to pass time (for those who has it).

Finally picked up the season 3 of Shingeki no Kyojin, though. This might be the most addicting season so far. So many plot twists and turns and I'm only 3 episodes in.

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
I'm more into anime for aesthetic reasons now than actually watching it cause i do agree that it gets boring after a while. I got anime stickers on all my shit, and I've developed an interest in kigurumi recently. Not the pajamas, like the people who wear suits to make themselves look like anime characters. The problem is that 99% of these costumes are fucking creepy, but there's this one character called tsukaka uduki who has this cool robot girl suit. She's a mascot for some theater company in Japan iirc, so it's completely custom made, probably super expensive.
D5ckg-GXoAEzUHp.jpg

I would love to have something like this. I want to see a band wear robot girl suits and play like cool techno metal or something.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
I'm 16 episodes deep into Kimetsu no Yaiba and it's pretty great for a Shonen Jump manga adaptation, especially with its animation done by ufotable (Fate/Zero and F/SN UBW's studio).

I also watched Weathering With You with my mom at a theater yesterday and it looked beautiful on the big screen. As expected from a Makoto Shinkai movie.

I'm more into anime for aesthetic reasons now than actually watching it cause i do agree that it gets boring after a while. I got anime stickers on all my shit, and I've developed an interest in kigurumi recently. Not the pajamas, like the people who wear suits to make themselves look like anime characters. The problem is that 99% of these costumes are fucking creepy, but there's this one character called tsukaka uduki who has this cool robot girl suit. She's a mascot for some theater company in Japan iirc, so it's completely custom made, probably super expensive.

I would love to have something like this. I want to see a band wear robot girl suits and play like cool techno metal or something.
I've heard that the skin-toned spandex suits worn by kigurumi costumers can get hot as hell after a while because of the super tight cloth covering all over the body skin.

Adieu

Reaction score
Guuuuuys

It's okay to graduate to manga and then even (gasp) seinen manga at some point you know???

Preferably before age 40!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
You saw Miyavi live? I'm now super jealous. :squint:

Yah man, that guy's guitar playing is friggin' tight. His live vocals can be somewhat rough sometimes, but he's so energetic and engaging that his voice cracking is more charming than anything. He just runs around like a child, rocks out like Angus Young, and poses dramatically like every other over-the-top cheesy K-Pop dancer. It's no wonder he pants while singing. :lol:

Only thing that disappointed me is that he didn't play Selfish Love. That's the song that introduced me to him back in 2008-9 and the guitar intro is just so saucy.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Was going to post in the movie thread, but suits better here...

Watched the Ni No Kuni anime.

Having played the first game (second game still pending), so I felt obliged to see the movie. Funny how a lot of my complaints about the first game can be applied to some extent here too. Basically what I'm saying that it's fine but flawed to prevent it from being great, or by Studio Ghibli's standards, decent.

The plot and visuals are pretty much anime vanilla. Simple coherent fantasy plot: 3 friends, medieval swordplay, mini plush toy like beings, it's safe Studio Ghibli by the numbers, pretty much my complaints about the Wrath Of The White Guilt; it harks back to classic versions of the genre, but nothing new to offer. Hell, the animation reminds me of Persona 5's anime downgrade from the game. At least I don't need to complain about a sucky combat system that combines the worst aspects of other games into an overstuffed hybrid mess. :lol:

And I suppose the simplicity and predictability I had with the game applies here, since I saw the twists and turns coming as fast as a dying man's crawl. The only thing that thew me off was right when I thought the third act was about to end, it kept going for another 20 minutes. The movie was tacking on and padding itself more as it reached the conclusion. There was at least a cute nod to Wrath Of The White Privilege at the end for the fanatics of continuity.

So in summary, with all the Studio Ghibli movies now available on Netflix, there's far better options to pick over Ni No Kuni. Still it's better than Tales Of Earthsea so there's at least that going for it.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The series does end on an open note for possible future seasons.

Well High Score Girl Season 2 happened. And I went through the all 8 episodes in 1 sitting. :lol:

Still great, still lots of arcade/fighting game lore, and still a heartfelt story of love. It's actually really nice to see Harou grow and mature from being a snot nosed prick to a grounded teen. Akira Ono is still tough to grasp since she's still a mute and her avatar of feelings come in the form of Zangief and a bunch of other game characters (hilariously well done). Hidaka is once again the most interesting of the three mains, as she's the most human and normal of the lot, being the most open of her feelings. Some of the support cast get overshadowed by Haruo's mum and Akira's sister Makoto, who have their own over the top anime dynamic that's a lot of fun.

The aesthetic is still fine and well, though the pixelated look of the game characters can be distracting especially when they're up close, but I guess that's the joke. Yoko Shimomura's score is still exquisite, even parts sounding off FFXV, and it was nice of her having a spin on her own Guile's theme song too.

The arcade and tournament scenes are as authentic and great as always (especially for fighting game fans), and it was cute seeing Justin Wong in the credits. And for the hardcore fighting game fans, they showed this:

...and it's amazing how it was used in the narrative. :lol:

MetalGravy

Making a meat suit
Reaction score
Been watching the latest season of My Hero Academia, and digging it. Finished off Akame no Kill before that. Planning to get back to Violet Evergarden. Got a lot of catching up to do after not watching for 3 months!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Back from the dead... yet again!

Anyway, been watching Monster with my girlfriend recently. Damn good show. It's weird because it could have very easily been a live action show. It's a crime drama with extensive and slooow character development. Sometimes 3-4 episodes in a row will seem like unrelated fillers, but then turn out to be building up to something very important to the development of the main plot. There's lots of shitting on Nazis, but the show is unfortunately not very effective at drawing a clear line between shitting on fascism/Nazis or straight up shitting on Germany. I can see people misinterpreting the message. I turn a blind eye to that though and give it the benefit of the doubt.

Really cool show overall, but you gotta like slow-paced, cerebral crime/detective plots with no supernatural elements and pretty much non-existing comic relief.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Nichijou is amazing, I am few years late to the party, but amazing show.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score