Anime/manga megathread

Skyblue

Reaction score
I also just finished watching Welcome to the NHK. Brilliant brilliant brilliant brilliant. It is beautifully introspective, which, in turn, makes it painfully relatable, and its characters are also painfully lovable. Despite it's very dark themes and topics, the way the story is executed makes it hilarious and adorable. It's very much a slice-of-life kind of anime, so I presume that personal life experiences will heavily affect how strongly one relates to and/or likes this show. I know the fact that I related so much on a personal level with most of the characters made it all THAT much more enjoyable for me, and I feel like I also got a lot of positive things from it. It's exactly the kind of brainy and emotion-heavy show that I like. 9.99/10
I had to stop every once in a while when I watched NHK, it got too depressing for me :lol: An amazing anime.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I'm not that into anime, but I'm starting to get to be, but I don't know all that many of them. Looking for some suggestions.

I'm really liking some of the horror/death/mystery ones, I loved Another and I'm finishing up Shiki right now, which I also like a lot.
I also watched Higurashi no Koroni ni, which I thought was okay.

Does anyone have any suggestions of others of that nature?

Don Vito

Reaction score
In other news, Santa did some generous impulse buying for me this Christmas:
20131225_031952.jpg
I never watched the anime, but I've thought about picking these books up several times.

I always try to buy manga when I'm at the book store, but I'm such noob I can never figure out what to get.

I almost bought this yesterday because the cover looked promising, but I was little short on cash. Has anyone read this?
51OfaDRR7%2BL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm not that into anime, but I'm starting to get to be, but I don't know all that many of them. Looking for some suggestions.

I'm really liking some of the horror/death/mystery ones, I loved Another and I'm finishing up Shiki right now, which I also like a lot.
I also watched Higurashi no Koroni ni, which I thought was okay.

Does anyone have any suggestions of others of that nature?
I'm not to good with this genre, but there's Mirai Nikki(Future Diary) which is sort of a mystery/death/action thing. The anime is excellent.

And then there's Umineko no naku Kori Ni, which had a decent anime, but ended on a cliff hanger. I've flipped through the novel a few times, and it seems okay, albeit boring as hell for the first chunk of pages. It has the time loop thing like Higurashi, so if you didn't like that then stay far away.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Just watched Perfect Blue for the second time. Damn, that movie is weird. :ugh:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I had to stop every once in a while when I watched NHK, it got too depressing for me :lol: An amazing anime.

Yeah, it's a really heavy show.
Yamazaki leaving was one of the harshest moments for me. Not to mention how painful the relationship between Misaki and Sato is.

horror/death/mystery

You didn't mention it, so I'll assume you haven't watched Death Note yet? Haven't watched it myself yet (shame on me, I know), but that seems to be one of those "go-to" anime, and it fits that description almost perfectly. I also only watched the first five episodes of Darker Than Black, and it was pretty good... I should get back to it some time.

I never watched the anime, but I've thought about picking these books up several times.

I always try to buy manga when I'm at the book store, but I'm such noob I can never figure out what to get.

If you don't mind paying about $13 per book, then go for it. The story is excellent, and the writing is solid. Subtle, yet remarkably sharp and witty. The novel provides a bit more direct insight into the characters' thoughts and emotions, too.

I almost bought this yesterday because the cover looked promising, but I was little short on cash. Has anyone read this?
*image*

That looks really interesting: Judge Manga - Read Judge Online at MangaHere.com, and it is illustrated by the same dude who illustrated one of the manga adaptations for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Just watched Perfect Blue for the second time. Damn, that movie is weird. :ugh:

Watched a trailer for it. I love the art, and it looks dark and phucked. Adding it to my to-watch list.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Watched a trailer for it. I love the art, and it looks dark and phucked. Adding it to my to-watch list.

Yeah, I think Satoshi Kun's movies have the best art after Ghibli movies but the plots are just crazy. :nuts:

Started watching Non Non Biyori yesterday because everyone has been talking about it. It just felt too slow paced for me and made me feel awkward just watching bunch of elementary school kids doing cute things.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
I'm not to good with this genre, but there's Mirai Nikki(Future Diary) which is sort of a mystery/death/action thing. The anime is excellent.

And then there's Umineko no naku Kori Ni, which had a decent anime, but ended on a cliff hanger. I've flipped through the novel a few times, and it seems okay, albeit boring as hell for the first chunk of pages. It has the time loop thing like Higurashi, so if you didn't like that then stay far away.

I'll check them out, thanks!

Took a small break from the mysterious stuff and watched Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi.
I enjoyed it a lot, but the ending was a really lame I thought. I must have missed something, because that was a terrible way to end what I thought was a great story.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I finished Haruhi Suzumiya. Watched both seasons chronologically (oh Endless Eight...) and then the Disappearance film. And why, oh why, did it end? Can't be bothered writing a review of it because I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I can't recommend it enough. Judgement must also be reserved until the end of the Disappearance film, as it ties most things VERY neatly. My only review and opinion of this series can be summarized in two words: Yuki Nagato.

AChRush1349

Causal Anomalie
Reaction score
I love perverted Harem anime, so High school DXD has been a big one for me...in terms of non-perverted Anime, I've really been digging Attack on Titans.

bifftannen

Reaction score
I did a search thread but has anyone seen Elven Lied? Man, it's really good and I'm definitely far from squeamish but it is f*cked.up. and not in a sex with tentacles way but in a disturbing story and violent kind of way.

EDIT: Never mind I found some posts one it, my bad.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I did a search thread but has anyone seen Elven Lied? Man, it's really good and I'm definitely far from squeamish but it is f*cked.up. and not in a sex with tentacles way but in a disturbing story and violent kind of way.

Yea, I saw Elven Lied years ago. It was ....ed up enough that I kinda wish I hadn't finished it.

Didn't watch Gantz because of it after talking to folks who'd seen both.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score

Elven Lied? What's that? Elfen Lied with elves (like me)? :lol:

Nvm, I've seen "Elven Lied". It's pretty ....ed up but enjoyable anime. :D

Don Vito

Reaction score
Ok, so I finished Haruhi Suzumiya. Watched both seasons chronologically (oh Endless Eight...) and then the Disappearance film. And why, oh why, did it end? Can't be bothered writing a review of it because I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I can't recommend it enough. Judgement must also be reserved until the end of the Disappearance film, as it ties most things VERY neatly. My only review and opinion of this series can be summarized in two words: Yuki Nagato.
Congrats on getting through Endless 8. Oh, and if your new waifu asks you to play against her in The Day of Sagittarius III, politely decline because she is quite... skilled.

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score

I am very intrigued
I'm gonna run through it tomorrow night

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats on getting through Endless 8. Oh, and if your new waifu asks you to play against her in The Day of Sagittarius III, politely decline because she is quite... skilled.

:rofl: I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that my very existence is in peril whenever the waifu is around... but i wub her anyway. rabu <3

Oh, and I enjoyed the heck out of Endless Eight. It was kind of frustrating, but it was enjoyable. I can see how it must have been absolutely horrible during broadcast...:noplease: It's just... I expected a MUCH grander conclusion to it, but it was totally made up for with the film, which has instantly become one of my favorite anime films.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Hoooo shit. I was just thinking about re-watching SAO so I might have to marathon it to start the new chapter

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, damn!! I'm actually really excited for this. I totally think that that show went straight to shit a couple of episodes in, but it was still SO enjoyable. I will definitely watch the new season!

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
')